2014 Toyota Tundra Revealed

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 2014 Toyota Tundra Revealed

Rookie
    Liked
    4 times

Default 2014 Toyota Tundra Revealed

The current-generation Toyota Tundra debuted during the Chicago Auto Show in 2007 and today, Toyota brought its new 2014 Tundra to the same event.

A new chiseled look brings the formerly curvaceous Tundra into the boxy realm of the current American-designed pickups. While the profile of the truck remains similar to the current Tundra, the hood, grille, front bumper and wheel arches of the truck have all been squared off for a bold look.

While the folks at Toyota’s Calty design studio were providing new style to give the truck a fresh feel, it seems like the engine development team was sipping cocktails. Disappointingly, the engines are unchanged.

Offered as the standard motor on Tundra Regular and Double Cab models is a four-liter V6 good for 270 hp and 278 lb-ft of torque.

In the middle of the range is a 4.6-liter DOHC i-Force V8 that offers 310 hp and 327 lb-ft of torque, while the top-tier engine is still the 5.7-liter i-Force V8 that makes 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque. A five-speed automatic transmission will link up to the V6, while a six-speed will be on duty with both eight-cylinder powerplants. In 4×2 regular car trim, Tundra’s top tow capacity is 10,400 lbs.

VIEW COMPLETE 2013 CHICAGO AUTO SHOW COVERAGE

For improved ride quality, the shock-absorber valving has been re-tuned, hoping to avoid some of the rear-end chattering that was common in the previous Tundra. Steering feel is adjusted for a little less feedback, which Toyota says will make it better to drive on long trips.

Inside, a complete overhaul brings the Tundra from the land of black, boring plastic into the new-age of truck interiors. Toyota kept the large physical knobs for easy operation, while the rest of the interior was ditched for the new design, save some of the silver and black contrasting dash plastics.

Interior focus was placed on bringing the Tundra a more luxurious feel, along with providing clear differentiation between trim lines.

Ergonomics and comfort received some attention across all the trim levels, as audio and HVAC controls that move closer to the driver. Finally, the front seats are better ventilated and have more travel.

Trim levels start with the SR, move up to SR5, then Limited, and finally two premium trims, the “Platinum” and the all-new “1794” Edition.

The new 1794 trim level brings the Tundra a new level of luxury that will put it in line to compete with Ford’s King Ranch and Ram’s Longhorn edition trucks. Premium saddle brown leather wraps the seats, while ultra-suede contrasts around the interior.

Toyota is offering a few segment firsts in the new Tundra: standard bluetooth, standard backup camera, standard 3.5-inch display screen between the gauges, and blind spot monitor with rear-cross traffic alert, the latter of which will be offered only on Platinum and 1794 edition trucks.

The new Japanese half-ton will hit dealerships in September, 2013
    See more photos of the 2014 Toyota Tundra at AutoGuide.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    127 times

Default Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra Revealed

I don't know if I like the new look. The front end reminds me of a Honda Ridge line and the rear looks like a dodge... Maybe if the front bumper was pulled off i might like it a lot better. Also something about that grill bothers me. But the interior is really nice
    2000 Tundra, 4x4, SR5, V8, 4.5" drop bracket lift, 285/75R16 Good year Duratrac Wranglers, 16" American Racing Mohave Teflon 8 hole six lug rims, Diff Breather Mod, Map light Mod, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Pioneer Speakers Front and Back, JVC Touchscreen with unit bypass, Bluetooth Connection and Microphone, ARB Snorkel And AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Q-logic dual 8inch sub enclosure with 2 Il audio 8' subs and alpine anplifier ( thanks senortundra)

Liked
    0 times
    Images

It looks like they took the Tundra we all love...made it square like an F-150, fender flares like silverado, and 100% Ram tailgate...the grill to me is horrific. They just took all the features of the other top trucks and incorporated them into this..#FAIL.

Tundra Solutions Founder Truck Champion's Avatar
    Liked
    137 times
    Images

In my opinion the Tundra should not be about what we sit on, or what sheet metal surrounds us. It should be about what moves us. This is not a redesign, this is a refreshed model. Until the focus turns to what's really important, the image of this Truck and its market will never change.
    c350 Sr5 likes this.
    Lon is the TundraSolutions.com Founder and 5 time Tundra Owner. @TruckChampion

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Its ugly

Liked
    6 times
    Images

An overall disappointing reveal.

I imagine I'll like the look of the 1794 edition interior, but I'm already unimpressed with the Ford-style HVAC vents.
    -Bryce

Mine: 2008 Tundra CM Ltd 4X4 Nautical Blue/Tan, 80k, 3/1 level, 305/55R20 Toyo A/T's, MBRP dual exhaust, 3" Westin step bars, Debadged, WeatherTech mats & a SnugTop Rebel for the Danes
    The wifs: 2006 Lexus GX470 Blizzard Pearl/Tan, All-weather mats, 100k

Liked
    19 times
    Images

I am disappointed. I expect more from my favorite vehicle manufacturer. I expected to see an innovative new Tundra. Instead I see a mid-season re-fresh. I expected to see a design that would be the envy of all truck manufactures.

Instead, at the bass club meeting, when talk turns to the new full size trucks, I will just sit in the back and shut up because I have nothing new to tell them about the new Tundra. They might ask, did Tundra get an 8-speed tranny for 2014? Sorry, No. How about a couple of new engines? Uh, nice weather we're having. Did Toyota find a way to get better mileage for 2014, oops, hey, did you see the game last night. It's going to be damn disappointing at the meetings.

I don't mind the new look and it will probably grow on me, but I wanted to see better mileage than Ford's turbo. Enough engine choices to shame a GM owner. A diesel that would make a Dodge buyer weep in envy. You just can't get a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge guy to want what you drive if you offer them less than they have in the parking lot. Maybe Toyota is about to get out of the truck business? I'll keep mine to the end but color me disappointed this year.

We all got excited at the new prospects. Toyota should have said, sorry we are not going to bother to go to the Chicago show because we've got nothing new for show and tell.

I hope all the innovations we expected for Tundra are going to come out in a couple of years and show the big-3 that the new 2014 was not the New Truck after all ... But I am not counting on it.
    4doubleyaD likes this.

Liked
    0 times

Ok. Toyota has decided to follow the Big Three and make the Tundra look like every other truck on the road. Nothing happens by accident, so I checked Tundra's share of the truck market and found this:

"When Toyota last revamped the pickup, the company trumpeted it as a game-changer that would cut into Detroit's dominance of the U.S. truck market. But the Tundra's annual market share never topped 9 percent, in part because of the economic recession that hurt all automakers — but especially truck makers. Still, the Tundra has made some gains against its competitors recently. Last year, Toyota sold 23 percent more of the pickup compared to 2011, leading the other large truck manufacturers. Chrysler, with its RAM pickups, came in second with a 17 percent year-over-year sales increase. At 101,621 units sold, the Tundra only captured 6.1 percent of the large pickup market in 2012, and Toyota doesn't expect to increase that share. 'We're very comfortable with what our volume is in that segment,' Jim Lentz, Toyota's U.S. sales chief, said last month."

Read more: Toyota Tundra: An economic engine is retooled - San Antonio Express-News

Looks like Toyota has decided that inovation and loyal customers who keep buying Tundras isn't putting enough dough in their pockets. Hey, it's business and I understand that.

What I don't understand is how there are those like us who appreciate a truck that looks sporty and cool while being so reliable. Then there's everyone else - those who buy what the Big Three put on the market. This begs the question are we in the minority because we're right or is everyone else crazy?

Personally I don't really care. I'm just glad I got a Tundra before the 2014 model makeover. All the more reason to treat my Tundra with lots of TLC because I don't think Toyota will ever turn back the clock.

As to the "new" Tundra? I don't see much difference between it and the Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks on the road.

Liked
    1 times

It's always hard to accept change. I remember in 1984, I didn't like the update to the Toyota pickup. It took me a couple of years to adjust, and buy a 1985 xtracab. I guess I like it considering it's still my daily driver in 2013.

It only took me a couple of days to get used to the new look Tundra. So what if some it's features look like other makes. That pretty much the case with most vehicles from one manufacturer to another.

I have always driven a Toyota for the quality, and dependability. I can see a 2014 Tundra in my future.
    StephenC likes this.

Liked
    1 times

I dont know which was the bigger rip off. the 2000 tundra looking like an F150 or that looking like a dodge ram.
    2010 DC 2wd
    Icon all around

Liked
    172 times

When the big sales weeny says "We're very comfortable with what our volume is in that segment" that tells us the whole story. A few minor touchups outside and cosmetics inside, good enough. Maybe they are seeing an Obama financial collapse coming and don't want to pour the money into something few will be able to afford. Who knows. Its a bidness decision, remember!
    c350 Sr5 and StephenC like this.
    >>big$$

========================================
    SR5 Dbl Cab 2009, 4x4, 5.7L, Flex Fuel, Desert Sand Mica, Tow Pkg, Cold Pkg, Ventashades, Bugflector II, AMP Bumper Step, OEM All weather mats, Line-X, OEM Chrome Running Bds, Underseat Rear Storage, OEM Sill Protectors, Chrome Tailgate edges, Chrome Lic Plate Frame, aFe Pro Dry-S Air Cleaner, Charcoal Air Filter Mod; Visor Labels Mod; Fog Lights Mod; DRL Off Mod; Extra Loud Horn Mod, OEM SS Exhaust Tip
    "We still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry and grasping at the spoils of the multitude." - Thomas Paine (1737-1809) Patriot
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) U. S. President

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by bigMoney View Post
    Maybe they are seeing an Obama financial collapse coming and don't want to pour the money into something few will be able to afford.
    WISE thought!
    c350 Sr5 likes this.
    2010 DC 2wd
    Icon all around

Liked
    3 times

I've always been a GM guy, mainly Chevrolet as was my grandfather and father. But me and my father had a fondness for Toyota, my father since his college days. After he graduated college in the late 70s, he dreamt of owning the old school Land Cruiser otherwise a Silverado would be his second choice. To my father, the definition of world class was reliability, durability and capability. When Toyota brought the Tundra along, there was no debate, which is why we purchased our '03 Tundra. Yet I won't lie we did test drive the Silverado, on top of the fact this was right after they gave it that ugly headlight facelift. Yet even though the Silverado was lower priced, with their heavy incentives/discounts, we knew what we were getting with Toyota. This even lend several friends to go out and purchase their own Toyota trucks years later as a result.

I never cared for the looks of the second generation Tundra yet i know the mechanics are enough to keep me loyal to the truck brand and since GM went bankrupt I lost faith in their trucks. This redesign I'm very impressed with and I consider it a plus because everything else under the skin is solid. At 180k miles on my current 4.7L, I was considering a Tacoma, but after seeing this redesign, mid cycle, mild face lift or whatever you wanna call....... it has me sold. Besides at 6'3 I could use the extra room.
    2003 White Tundra Sr5 v8
    -stock for now.

Liked
    28 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Redzilla View Post
    Personally I don't really care. I'm just glad I got a Tundra before the 2014 model makeover. All the more reason to treat my Tundra with lots of TLC because I don't think Toyota will ever turn back the clock.

As to the "new" Tundra? I don't see much difference between it and the Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks on the road.
    I agree with you. I just upgraded from a 2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL (I can't say anything bad about it... it's a great family vehicle) to 2013 Tundra CrewMax SR5 TSS. Boy, am I glad I didn't wait for the 2014. Maybe the '14 will grow on me once I see it in person, but from pictures, it certainly doesn't move me the way the first or second generation Tundra has. I had a 2001 Tundra and it was great. I have really missed that '01 until I got into my new '13! I will say I LOVE the new interior in the 2014! I don't care if it looks like Ford's interior or not. I'm not overly fond of the tunnel-style gauge clusters on the '13.

Here's a completely unrelated bit of trivia for you guys (who probably don't give 2 $#!%'s...):
    How much wider is a 2nd Gen Tundra than a Honda Ridgeline? The answer shocked me.

2 inches. Yep, I was worried my CrewMax wouldn't fit in my garage beside my wife's 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L, but there is barely any difference. Of couse, instead of 4 feet of clearance front-to-back, I now only have 2 feet, but hey, door still closes and I can still get around the front.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Thumbs down Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra Revealed

We had the best looking full sized truck in the world hands down. No other truck could even come close.

What the heck happened!!!!!

What the heck is that! Really.

Crap looks like I better buy a commuter car so my truck lasts. Toyota was our only hope for a decent looking truck and not any more.
    2011 Tundra 4X4 (Lexus Bigfoot)
    5.7L Pyrite Mica
    TRD Off Road Package
    TRD True Dual Exhaust
    LineX Bed Liner
    Trailer Brake Controller Mod
    TRD CAI
    HC Filter Delete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast