DIY: Check the Automatic Transmission Fluid Level

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DIY: Check the Automatic Transmission Fluid Level

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Lightbulb DIY: Check the Automatic Transmission Fluid Level

• Park the vehicle on a level surface.
    • With the engine idling and the parking brake applied, shift the selector into all positions from "P" to "L", and then shift into "P" position.
    • Pull out the dipstick and wipe off the fluid with a clean rag. Re-insert the dipstick and check that the fluid level is in the HOT range.
    • Do this check with the fluid at normal driving temperature (70 - 80C, 158 - 176F) .

HINT: Wait until the engine cools down (approx. 30 mm .) before checking the fluid level after extended driving at high speeds, in hot weather, in heavy traffic or pulling a trailer.

If necessary add ATF DEXRON-II or DEXRON III

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    86 times

Default Re: HOW-TO: Check the Automatic Transmission Fluid Level

Glenn, I reckon that only applies to Tundras with a tranny dipstick.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

How about the procedure for checking the trans fluid level on 2005 models with no dipstick!

I tried yesterday while under there changing oil and greasing drive shafts. I have two plugs on the trans pan one a plain plug at the rear (drain?) and one with "check" stamped in it with a hex allen head. I removed this "check" plug assuming it was at the bottom of some sort of tube extending at or above the specified level in the pan. Logical, I thought, like most things Toyota. WRONG!! I got a face full of oil before I got it threaded back in. I figure I lost about a quarter pint of oil at most. I doubt this will have any effect, but I would like to know the correct procedure in any case for peace of mind. Anyone know the correct procedure, and where the fill hole is? I found what looks like a fill hole plug, but it is in the tail shaft housing between the trans and transfer case. Is that it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Supporter
    Liked
    86 times

I'm wondering if you were not on a level surface when checking the level? It's virtually impossible to overfill as I understand it. What you did was correct I think. I assume the "check" plug was on the side and the overflow plug was on trhe bottom. I suppose oil could come out if the tranny was hot shen checked.

Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by tempetom
    Glenn, I reckon that only applies to Tundras with a tranny dipstick.
    see attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks folks for the response and to Glenn for posting the procedure from the shop manual. I talked to my local dealer today to confirm what I had done was right. He said it was, but the fluid needs to be up to temp and idling in park to do the check. It was warm but not running when I checked, so it probably had drained back into the pan what would normally be circulating causing too much to run out the overflow tube. I will certainly recheck it with the engine running to verify the proper fill.

Thanks again tempetom and Glenn for the response. I'm sure this helps a lot of us "Barnyard Mechanics" used to having a dipstick to check oil levels.

Regards,
    Bill

Liked
    0 times

Question Re: HOW-TO: Check the Automatic Transmission Fluid Level

Last week I took my 2005 DC to the Toyota dealer and asked him to check the Transmission fluid. He told me that he was not to check it, that it was good for the life of the truck. He said the thought that it was strange that that was what Toyota recommended.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I accidently drained about .5 quart (or less) of transmission fluid out of my 2005 DC tacoma. Rather than trying to fill it myself I took the truck to the Toyota dealer. They told me that the transmission is a closed system, and that they are not able to "top off' the transmission fluid. The only thing that they could do was to do a complete transmission flush ($200). The mechanic didn't think that loosing .5 quart would be a problem, so I left without getting the fluid filled. I was wondering if the document posted by Glenn applies to Tacoma's as well as Tundra's? I would feel much better if I could add some fluid to get the level back to normal.

Liked
    19 times

see attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Liked
    0 times

Have any of you (with a dipstick) noticed that it says "No need to change ATF under normal driving conditions." The Toyota service manual only mentions changing the ATF at 60,000 miles (if you use your vehicle for primarily for towing). The dealer says every 30,000 miles. A buddy of mine bought an '05 Tacoma 4X4. It doesn't have a tranny dipstick. The dealership told him that it was designed to be replaced only when the transmission "went out" or had to be serviced when there was a problem. Can you believe?
    2004 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4X2 White w/Oak Interior / Toyota LSD / Tow Pckg / Chrome Pckg / 265/65R17 split 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheels
    Performance MODS - K&N FIPK / Flowmaster 50 Series (dual in dual out) / Helix Power Tower / JBA Titanium Headers
    Tundra Solutions MODS - DRL / Fog Light / Map Light / Rear Window / Power Outlet / Rear Shock
    Accessories - UWS Nerf Bars / Undercover Tonneau Cover / Rhino Bed Liner / Weathertech Vent Shades / Altamere Window Tinting / AVS Bug Shield / Stant Locking Gas Cap / Sylvania Silver Stars / Cooper Discoverer ATR tires

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Re: HOW-TO: Check the Automatic Transmission Fluid Level

I assume this same tranny is what's used in the LX470? My dealer said the fluid was good for 100K miles, but didn't know how he was going to change fluid at that point in time. He thought maybe by then they would come out with something to allow him to do this. Strange, but why can't Toyota provide for the owner who simply wants to change fluid more frequently? I note those posted service bulletins do NOT address CHANGING the fluid, only checking and topping off.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a 2001 4Runner and cannot find the dipstick for the transmission fluid. Last night, it would not reverse so I thought I should check the fluid before I try and drive it to the dealership. Can anyone tell me where I find the dipstick? I am not exactly mechanically inclined.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default What kind of transmission fluid does a 2000 Corolla need?

I've seen some threads where people are saying that Dexron III is fine, but a mechanic has just told me that the Toyota-manufactured ATF (known as "Toyota Red") is the ONLY fluid that should be put into the transmission because if it mixes with another type then the mixture begins to coagulate, which is bad times.

Can anybody give me a 100% accurate rendering on this? Must a 2000 Corolla have ONLY the "Toyota Red," or can I use Dexron III?

Thanks a bunch.

-Tom

Liked
    0 times

I've used Dex III for years with no problems.

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nhparrot View Post
    see attached
    How would a 2.5 inch lift on front end affect the service on a 2006 Tundra Transmission? i suspect that it would change the level once the vehicle is raised but probably not enough to affect anything? any thoughts since i know a lotta people have raised their front ends to level their truck and was fixxin to do the same to my Tundra. I would carry to Dealership to check due to they should know how to do it IAW Toyota Guidance i hope?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-26-2014, 09:22 AM
  2. 12-31-2013, 09:16 AM
  3. 10-19-2013, 04:09 PM
  4. 06-09-2013, 06:11 AM
  5. 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM
  6. 10-09-2012, 01:16 PM
  7. 07-15-2012, 10:46 AM
  8. 07-15-2012, 06:40 AM
  9. 06-27-2012, 03:35 PM
  10. 04-08-2012, 02:37 AM
  11. 03-30-2012, 01:11 PM