Is it O.K. to drive with OD off for long periods?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it O.K. to drive with OD off for long periods?

Liked
    0 times

Question Is it O.K. to drive with OD off for long periods?

Yup, this is a TOTAL novice question, but then, I am a TOTAL novice!

I drive with my OD on 99.99% of the time. The truck came off the lot with the OD on, and when I turn the OD off an annoying idiot light (appropriate term) comes on. Well, a light is on, so doesn't that mean I shouldn't do this for too long?

When in town and doing any kind of up-hill driving (about 90% of my driving is one of these), having the OD off really is nice. So am I doing any harm by leaving it off most of the time? I like having that low-end punch, I rarely need the luxury of a smooth ride at 70 mph.... Basically, I'm asking if I can trade my ratios from OD on 99% of the time to OD off 99% of the time without hurting my baby.

thanks for helping this youngster, I appreciate it!

P.S. If driving with the OD off all the time is O.K., is there an easy way to make that stupid O/D OFF dash light go away?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by molex

I drive with my OD on 99.99% of the time. The truck came off the lot with the OD on, and when I turn the OD off an annoying idiot light (appropriate term) comes on. Well, a light is on, so doesn't that mean I shouldn't do this for too long?

When in town and doing any kind of up-hill driving (about 90% of my driving is one of these), having the OD off really is nice. So am I doing any harm by leaving it off most of the time? I like having that low-end punch, I rarely need the luxury of a smooth ride at 70 mph.... Basically, I'm asking if I can trade my ratios from OD on 99% of the time to OD off 99% of the time without hurting my baby.

P.S. If driving with the OD off all the time is O.K., is there an easy way to make that stupid O/D OFF dash light go away?
    If you read your owners manual it says to leave it on full-time, you'll get better gas mileage. Once in a while I will turn it off if I'm pulling my boat up a hill etc. otherwise it stays in OD all the time.

No Really, I swear, I'm Done.. Imdone's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Images

It's an overdrive gear, like for highway driving. if you are driving around town on surface streets or if you wheel it is a good idea to turn it off. If you start to get over 50mph you will increase gas mileage if you turn it on, however if you are doing a lot of shifting ie: stop and go traffic, you may want to leave it off.

Play with it. It is common for towing at 50 - 60mph without the overdrive on especially on grade.

08 Silver Crewmax 5.7 4x4 SR5...
    TRD S/C, RBP, ICON, CAMBURG, ALCAN, AMP RESEARCH, TOYO, ECLIPSE, SAVV, FOSGATE, KICKER, JL AUDIO, V-LEDS, PIAA, HELLA, MBRP, TIMBREN, HYPERTECH
    www.wheelersoffroad.com for all your suspension needs!!!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by ripshion
    If you read your owners manual it says to leave it on full-time, you'll get better gas mileage. Once in a while I will turn it off if I'm pulling my boat up a hill etc. otherwise it stays in OD all the time.
    Right, but I don't care about gas mileage, I bought a 4.7L V8 afterall. All I care about is any potential damage to the engine or drive train.

So, since gas mileage means nothing to me (oops, I think the ozone hole just got an inch bigger..... what's an ozone hole?), are there any other issues with driving OD off all the time?

KLS
    Liked
    4 times

Nope. It's actually easier on the engine and the input end of the transmission to drive with O/D Off until you get to sustained really high rpms.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

CJ
    Liked
    0 times

Smile

You'll wear the engine out marginally quicker. Basically you want to override the CPU's decision about overdrive when the truck is lugging or shifting with frequency.

CJ

Right, but I don't care about gas mileage, I bought a 4.7L V8 afterall. All I care about is any potential damage to the engine or drive train.

So, since gas mileage means nothing to me (oops, I think the ozone hole just got an inch bigger..... what's an ozone hole?), are there any other issues with driving OD off all the time?

Liked
    2 times
    Images

According to what the owners manual says, if I remember correctly -- it says to turn O/D off if you find it is hunting gears excessively and to turn it back on after the portion where it was hunting gears as long as the RPMS do not stay very high for too long, for improved gas mileage.

Sanosuke!
    Return to Japan - Spring 2004

Liked
    1 times

you can shut it off and it will be fine- just watch your tech - if your spinnin alot above 3000 rpm then start to turn it on- otherwise it can not hurt your truck -just remember this aod tranny is a new thing- in the 60's and 70's there was no overdrive and the cars and trucks had the close to the approx. rear end gearing as tundra - so remember to keep an eye on the tech -
    07' DC 4x4 TRD Tacoma - 11Pk Custom Deavers / 3* shims - TC UCA's - DR 2.5 CO's - DR RR Rear Shocks - Light Racing Jounce Stops F&R - 285/75 16 GY MT/R Kevlar - AllPro F Bumper, Slidders & IFS Skid - Warn M8000 w/3/8" Technora - Piaa 510 Fogs - Hella 4000FF w/55w HID - Icom 208H/SG7500A - Midland 1001Z/Little Wil - PAP112/SA315P - EGHST1P dust light - Blue Sea fuse blocks cab/eng bay - DH G31 PM-1 Platinum - OTRATTW switches - 20lb Co2.
    Need Tranny Mods?--> IPT Valvebody calibration IPT Transmissions

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    468 times

The rules for me are:

1) OD off if the engine can't make up its mind about whether to use it or not.

2) OD off if I'm climbing a grade and the torque convertor won't stay locked with OD on.

3) OD off if I'm descending a grade and use engine braking.

Otherwise, OD is there to be used and I use it.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by KLS
    Nope. It's actually easier on the engine and the input end of the transmission to drive with O/D Off until you get to sustained really high rpms.

Ken
    Ballpark, what kinda RPM's are we talking about. I ran my truck at 3,400 with the O/D off for 150 miles this past weekend, pulling a lightly loaded single axle trailer. The motor sounded a little high, but not to bad.
    SATundra
    2001 Limited, V8, 2wd, TRD, Metallic Silver Sky

MODS:
    TIRES:
    Michelin LTX M/S LT265/75/R16 load C rated
    SUSPENSION:
    front - red/blu 4x4 HD Bilsteins shocks & HD TRD 4x4 coils providing 1.75" lift, rear - TRD add-a-leafs, Hellwig swaybar, yell/blu 4x4 Bilsteins
    INTERIOR: CB-Ham/Scanner/150W linear amp in custom console, 10 disc CD player, Donnelly comp/temp mirror, Toyota All Weather floormats, tinted windows, radar detector, backseat angle mod,
    EXTERIOR: Grizzly SS brushguard, Better Built alum toolbox w/lights, Weatherflector Ventvisors, chrome step tubes, UTR bedliner, hitch, SteelHorse Bull Rings, Mobil 1 oils, 2 TS stickers, 2 TS license frames, 2 www.TundraSolutions.com stickers,
    ELECTRICAL: 55W undercarriage entry lights, extra set 55W reverse lights, 55W underhood lights, DEI alarm, 12V Acc plug/engine compartment, 400watt power inverter, foglight/cargolight/acc plug/maplight mod

Liked
    0 times

I have done lots of miles on my truck at 3,500 - 3,800 rpm. I usually don't hold it over 4,000 for very long unless I am playing or towing a heavy trailer uphill. I have noticed that my oil pressure drops if I stay over 4,800rpm. This was with the old dipstick - I have never checked with the new oil level - probably no difference. So far the only rotating piece that has failed in 160k was the fan clutch. I leave O/D on most of the time when I am cruising on the highway over 70, off in the mountains, or when I am in traffic. I also sometimes downshift to 2 or L depending on how fast traffic is going. I like to be around 2,500 - 2,800 so I can step on it and pretty quickly get to the 3,400 rpm power band w/o downshifting, and also not have it do that stupid 1st-slip-2nd shift when I am in slow moving traffic (every single morning).
    2000 4x4 LTD AC Sunfire Red - Sold w/ 200K

2005 4x4 LTD AC Phantom grey w/ dark grey - Sold w/ 20K

Alpine CDA-9835, W/ KCA-420i, Focal 165KP front, Focal 165V Rear speakers. powered by 2 MMats SQ2150 amps. Alpine MRD-M501 powering a JL Stealthbox with Infinity Perfect 10D VQ

Sound deadened everything with Cascade VB2HD, and Dynamat Extreme

2005 G35 Sedan 6MT - Returned due to paint work on a 'new' car.

2006 G35 Sedan 6MT - all stock. Where do I hook up the trailer and where's the bass?

Joe
    Liked
    3 times

Speaking strictly for myself, I don't worry about the engine speed until the needle gets close to the RED line. Running synthetic motor and transmission oil also helps for "peace of mind" while running at sustained high RPMs. Another way an individual can look at running with O/D on or O/D off is, when running with O/D on your engine is "working" harder to give you slightly better gas mileage and when you turn the O/D off your engine helps you "play" at lot easier. If your engine could talk it would thank you for selecting O/D off and as long as gas mileage and top-end speed aren't a factor, there is no downside to running your Tonka Toy in O/D off mode.

Here's your gear ratio's:
    1st - 2.80
    2nd - 1.53
    3rd - 1.00
    O/D - 0.705
    Reverse - 2.393

CJ
    Liked
    0 times

Cool Not exactly true

Your engine is designed to run optimally at a particular RPM range. I don't know what it is, but the engineers designing it took that into account when matching it up with the tranny specs. Yes, engines under strain will add to the wear and tear of pieces and parts and fluids, but it's a fact that revolutions cause wear at a higher rate, as I pointed out before.

Generally, the more efficient the engine runs, the less fuel it will consume.

If all you want is responsiveness, then yes, shift it yourself and keep it out of OD, but to address the original question, harm CAN come from not using the OD. Of course those of you who plan to get rid of the truck before you wear it out wouldn't care a whole deal, but those of use who do, well, we do/should.

Most of the advice, particularly those in line with what DJ said, is valid.

CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Speaking strictly for myself, I don't worry about the engine speed until the needle gets close to the RED line. Running synthetic motor and transmission oil also helps for "peace of mind" while running at sustained high RPMs. Another way an individual can look at running with O/D on or O/D off is, when running with O/D on your engine is "working" harder to give you slightly better gas mileage and when you turn the O/D off your engine helps you "play" at lot easier. If your engine could talk it would thank you for selecting O/D off and as long as gas mileage and top-end speed aren't a factor, there is no downside to running your Tonka Toy in O/D off mode.

Here's your gear ratio's:
    1st - 2.80
    2nd - 1.53
    3rd - 1.00
    O/D - 0.705
    Reverse - 2.393

Joe
    Liked
    3 times

Default opinions are like a.o., everyone has one

Quote Originally Posted by CJ
    Your engine is designed to run optimally at a particular RPM range. I don't know what it is, but the engineers designing it took that into account when matching it up with the tranny specs. Yes, engines under strain will add to the wear and tear of pieces and parts and fluids, but it's a fact that revolutions cause wear at a higher rate, as I pointed out before.

Generally, the more efficient the engine runs, the less fuel it will consume.

If all you want is responsiveness, then yes, shift it yourself and keep it out of OD, but to address the original question, harm CAN come from not using the OD. Of course those of you who plan to get rid of the truck before you wear it out wouldn't care a whole deal, but those of use who do, well, we do/should.

Most of the advice, particularly those in line with what DJ said, is valid.

CJ
    I wish now I would have kept quiet on this topic or worded my reply differently but since my post was replied to I “feel the need” to respond; so one doesn't think I abuse the hell out of my Toy. I very seldom go over 4K rpms and almost every time I have is when I'm sleeping at the wheel in cruise control and suddenly wake up when the O/D downshifts into second on a steep climb and the needle goes into the red line while maintaining 75 mph. This is a rare occurrence as I normally run with O/D off in hills and mountains, but it will get your attention in a hurry. The point I was trying to make and I didn’t do a very good job in wording it was O/D on can lug the engine in several driving instances while O/D off will prevent "lugging" in those same circumstances. I still maintain O/D off has absolutely no downside to it unless of course, one uses no common sense in their driving habits. I disagree with the statement "harm CAN come from not using the O/D." If that statement was inferring that harm can come, if one is always pushing the red line in O/D off as opposed to driving with O/D, hence, running at a lower rpm level. I totally agree. However, towing a trailer at 3200/3500 rpms, keeping your O/D off for 12 hours in the mountains at 3500 rpms a couple times a month or constantly keeping your O/D off in city driving is not harming your engine or drive train. The additional wear factor IMO is miniscule under these conditions when compared to driving with the O/D on at 2200 rpms across the prairies. I say this as I put several hundred thousand miles on my engines and I only ran into serious problems with one engine – a Ford – 360 c.i. – took two short blocks to find a winner.

Liked
    1 times

My rule for the O/D are

OFF around town, help control speed more than save wear and tear on the engine. I come from world of manual trans, so I hate having to drag the brakes to adjust my speed.

ON for highway or anything above 45 MPH

I believe the trans can electronically lock and unlock the torque converter in both 3rd and 4th gears. So on grades the trans might unlock, but not down shift too.

T-G

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-22-2007, 06:06 AM