Best ATF?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best ATF?

Liked
    0 times

Default Best ATF?

I'm coming up on 30,000 miles and am getting ready to change my automatic transmission fluid. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic for my engine and think it's one of the best oils out there. I am probably going to do a complete flush. Anyone with good knowledge please let me know what the best possible synthetic ATF is regardless of how expensive. Also, does Jiffy Lube do complete flushes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

I read that when you do a complete flush you should make sure they connect to the inlet pump rather than the cooler line as this will really be complete, also they will have to drop the pan which is wise since they can inspect at the same time.
    It probably will be harder to find someone that does it that way but if your going to do it why not do it the best way.

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

Here's a discussion of different types of transmission flushes:
    http://www.gadgetonline.com/TransFlu...ush%20machine:

The best ATF? Who knows?
    Excellent ATF? Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline D4
    http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html
    http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/atfti.htm#D4ATF
    http://www.mobil1.com/products/atf.jsp

Joe
    Liked
    3 times

Default $$$$ Mucho dinero

Originally posted by Yellbird
    I read that when you do a complete flush you should make sure they connect to the inlet pump rather than the cooler line as this will really be complete, also they will have to drop the pan which is wise since they can inspect at the same time.
    It probably will be harder to find someone that does it that way but if your going to do it why not do it the best way.

There's another post currently on this same topic: Switching to Synthetic

I read that article, which was for a 96 4 runner I believe. That transmission is different from ours. As for the inlet pump transfer method - you would need to drop the pan. When you do a complete flush via a "flushing machine" they will hook up to the transmission cooler lines so they can replace the fluid that is being drained off. Some places (not transmission shops) will not drain the lower pan separately, which is a mistake, because the lower pan plug is magnetized and has all the collected gunk on and around it. Very few transmission shops will drop the pan if a magnetized drain plug is installed unless the customer so requests and then the labor charge will increase. Another point - Unless you go to a transmission shop, it's highly likely that the person who drops the pan and "inspects it" doesn't have a clue what he's looking at or for. He'll look in a shop rate manual and probably charge you an additional .75 hrs for the pan removal replacement and tell you that everything looks AOK to him. Last point: Going to a transmission shop you may still get a guy who strictly changes transmission fluids and doesn't know a damn thing about inspecting or repairing transmissions but there is someone there who is well qualified to inspect your transmission if there's unusual filings found around the magnetized plug. One word of caution - Beware if the guy goes to the expert and the expert shows you a bunch of gunk (normal use tailings) and then takes you to a back room where he will have a transparent mockup of a transmission and then proceeds to explain to you why he has to re-build your transmission

Liked
    0 times

I 'm still only a collector of facts rather than a giver of useful info in the ATF department, but I remember a discussion previously that suggested that Mobile 1 was only partially synthetic. The site referenced below reads as if it is "Totally Synthetic". Hopefully, someone with knowledge here can chime in.

Joe
    Liked
    3 times

Mobil 1 is totally synthetic and one of the premier synthetic oil companies. What you read on a thread prior to the "crash" was Mobil 1 sued Castrol over their advertisments claiming their synthetic oils were 100% synthetic. Castrol prevailed in the suit due to legalizeee wording.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Originally posted by KLS
    Here's a discussion of different types of transmission flushes:
    http://www.gadgetonline.com/TransFlu...ush%20machine:

The best ATF? Who knows?

Ken's right. These are the premier ATFs and will not only perform in a superior manner but likely may prevent any failure in your transmission up to but more likely way beyond 175,000 miles.

You can use regular ATF *BUT *put additives in (like Lubegard), or use synthetic and not have to worry about about high temp abuse or wear.

alan

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

Originally posted by TundraWolf
    I 'm still only a collector of facts rather than a giver of useful info in the ATF department, but I remember a discussion previously that suggested that Mobile 1 was only partially synthetic. The site referenced below reads as if it is "Totally Synthetic". Hopefully, someone with knowledge here can chime in.

Somewhere in the Mobil1 ATF data or on the bottle it says something like the fact that the additive package is blended in a hydrocarbon carrier, or something like that. I don't think a very small amount of hydrocarbon product detracts from the performance, and anyway, the only way to get all the old hydrocarbon ATF out of your transmission is to take it apart and wipe it dry.

Ken

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

Originally posted by Joe
    Mobil 1 is totally synthetic and one of the premier synthetic oil companies. What you read on a thread prior to the "crash" was Mobil 1 sued Castrol over their advertisments claiming their synthetic oils were 100% synthetic. Castrol prevailed in the suit due to legalizeee wording.

This relates to their motor oils. Castrol Syntec is now a very highly refined petroleum oil with the legal right to call it 100% synthetic. It is a good oil.

Ken

Liked
    0 times

Originally posted by KLS
    The best ATF? Who knows?
    First I want to say that any of these three will be FAR superior to the conventional ATF's available today.

That said, you should know the following facts and then make the decision you feel most comfortable with:
    • AMSOIL was the First company to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use
    • Mobil1 ATF fails to meet the Chrysler Type 7176 standard (disclaimer: this is not a Chrysler forum)
    • Redline can meet the C7176 spec, but needed to reformulate to do so and thus offers it separately
    • all three meet the requirements Toyota has specified for your Tundra or Sequoia transmission
    ~ Fred
    "Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

Liked
    0 times

Originally posted by RagerXS
    First I want to say that any of these three will be FAR superior to the conventional ATF's available today.

That said, you should know the following facts and then make the decision you feel most comfortable with:
    • AMSOIL was the First company to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use
    • Mobil1 ATF fails to meet the Chrysler Type 7176 standard (disclaimer: this is not a Chrysler forum)
    • Redline can meet the C7176 spec, but needed to reformulate to do so and thus offers it separately
    • all three meet the requirements Toyota has specified for your Tundra or Sequoia transmission
    ~ Fred
    RagerXS,
    with all due respect, Ford was the first automobile to be made. Does that mean Ford is the best? No, they are terrible. Also, I don't own a chrysler vehicle. I also could care less with what Chrysler thinks, they suck. Another thing is I would have to pay shipping costs to get this stuff. I doubt that I'll be able to find Amsoil around here (California). I am not trying to be rude at all. The reasons that you give me for choosing your product just aren't good enough. If you could give me better reasons to choose Amsoil than that, please let me know.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Originally posted by tuffloud1

RagerXS,
    with all due respect, Ford was the first automobile to be made. Does that mean Ford is the best? No, they are terrible. Also, I don't own a chrysler vehicle. I also could care less with what Chrysler thinks, they suck. Another thing is I would have to pay shipping costs to get this stuff. I doubt that I'll be able to find Amsoil around here (California). I am not trying to be rude at all. The reasons that you give me for choosing your product just aren't good enough. If you could give me better reasons to choose Amsoil than that, please let me know.

Amsoil is marginally better than the competition but any of the oils mentioned here are fine and "more than good enough". Tuffloud1, you might be being a little hard on Ford and Chrysler. They have their bright spots and their not so bright spots. Toyota/Lexus just has less "not so bright spots". Honda/acura too.

I just got my latest copy of truck trends and they have rankings for trucks and SUVs. As much as we think that Toyota is great, they are the bottom of the barrel in regards to survey popularity and even sales (even if consumer reports rate the Tundra #1). Of course, that will hopefully change as the new vehicle catch on. I see a LOT more Tundras now here in California than I used to. Still, as far as trucks go it's still not very popular sales wise even if it is the most comfortable and reliable. I love mine!!!!

Amsoil is available in the silicon valley area in Northern California and I'm sure there are distributors in Southern California and other parts of California too. Too, I know that there is a Napa Dealer in Lake Tahoe that carries it, so if you're "up north" you surely must get to Tahoe enough time to "stock up".

Not that it is necessary though. Of course, Mobil 1 is more than good enough. But if you want "the best", I'd go with AMSOIL and Redline. However, unless you're doing extended drains, it doesn't really matter. It's still way overkill and lets you maintain "new" for a long time.

What I really recommend though is to use AMSOIL oil filters. You will see a difference come the next oil change or two. The oil stays much cleaner. Mobil 1 is great, but I think AMSOIL is even better (at least under my California ocean to dessert to mountain conditions that I regularly drive in). I haven't tested the oil, but visually it looks cleaner than with Mobil 1 filters.

The only thing I don't see is below zero temps. Mostly I'm in 50 to 70 degree temps year round though. Little warmer in summer, little cooler in winter.

Alan

Liked
    0 times

I just went to a transmission (A1 Transmission) shop and the guy said that he won't do a complete flush and does not recommend it. He said that alot of the trannies that he rebuilds just got a complete flush a few days prior. What's the deal? Should I do a complete flush or not. I want to switch to synthetic. What should I do?

Liked
    0 times

I can imagine an old, neglected and high mileage transmission limping along with thickened ATF. Imagine the transmission begins to shift differently or slip -- so they take it to have a flush. Now the increased tolerances due to wear don't work as well with the correct viscosity fluid. I can also imagine a knee-jerk reaction where someone might blame the flush.

Do you honestly believe that a complete change of the transmission fluid could be a bad thing?

~ Fred
    "Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

Joe
    Liked
    3 times

Originally posted by tuffloud1
    I just went to a transmission (A1 Transmission) shop and the guy said that he won't do a complete flush and does not recommend it. He said that alot of the trannies that he rebuilds just got a complete flush a few days prior. What's the deal? Should I do a complete flush or not. I want to switch to synthetic. What should I do?

Don't go to that shop again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast