Transmission Cooler Installation- How To Guide

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission Cooler Installation- How To Guide

Liked
    4 times

Default Transmission Cooler Installation- How To Guide

Hey folks,
    Just installed my Tru-Cool LPD 4590 cooler. Piece of cake, for the most part. I also installed a Magnafine filter.

Check IPT or Automatic transmission coolers and cooler kits. for parts. Cost with shipping should be around $100.

Don't know about performance or side effects, but the installation went well. Check out the guide and see what you think.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Transmission Cooler Installation- How To Guide

That's a very big ATF cooler for your truck. Do you tow regularly and heavily?

2005 Tacoma AC 2WD 2.7L 5M

Liked
    4 times

The selection part is an interesting story...with 2 components. First, I spoke with John at IPT about cooler selection and he was the one that recommended the large cooler. I was a bit concerned about overcooling, but the design of the Tru-Cool unit (as per John and the Tru-Cool literature) is such that it is self-regulating. We'll see how things. If I end up with overcooling, I'll have to install an external thermal by-pass regulator. The second part, the towing part, is that we plan to buy a large TT, hence the absolute need for a cooler. I have an 8x10 trailer that I use on a regular basis, but it's usually not loaded to more than 2,500# or so. Never had a problem...of course, I am using Amsoil synthetic ATF and I think that the Toyota Type IV is a synthetic fluid, too. When I have serviced the trans, the fluid has always been red and clean.

We'll see what happens.

Liked
    0 times

So, did you have a overcooling problem?

2005 Tacoma AC 2WD 2.7L 5M

Liked
    4 times

No. No harsh shifting and no late shifting, both of which tend to happen when the fluid is cold. The unit I installed is designed to self-regulate.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by shall36 View Post
    Hey folks,
    Just installed my Tru-Cool LPD 4590 cooler. Piece of cake, for the most part. I also installed a Magnafine filter.

Check IPT or Automatic transmission coolers and cooler kits. for parts. Cost with shipping should be around $100.

Don't know about performance or side effects, but the installation went well. Check out the guide and see what you think.

Nice pics and description of how to change the cooler!
    Was wondering ...do you know what the part # is or how I could find out what the part # is for the stock cooler? Mines leaking via one of the inputs and Id like to get new one. Id go after market but Id like to use the stock mounts. Also, how do I get the old one off? Ive looked at it but cannot see any nuts or bolts holding it on
    TIA!!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the information . I am about to do this job for a friend . I have previously purchased coolers from www.bulkpart.com ( aka http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/ ) before and have been very satisfied . I have also heard that the Long Mfg ATF coolers are sold under the B&M name at some retailers .

Has anyone installed a smaller unit and used the steel mounting straps included in the kit?

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...ool-coolers-hd
    Last edited by rkpatt; 07-21-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Liked
    1 times

i installed a B&M tranny cooler on my 02 seq heres my thread and pix of install
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...anny-cooler-b/
    1981 Toyota Celica GT 500000 mi original engine/tranny with 79 Supra F312 rear
    1996 Lexus LS 400 240000 mi and going strong
    2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 95000 mi too young

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-14-2012, 11:10 AM
  2. 02-03-2011, 02:52 PM
  3. 12-24-2010, 07:10 AM
  4. 01-07-2008, 11:36 PM