Installed Diamondback HD on '07 Tundra. Impressed.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed Diamondback HD on '07 Tundra. Impressed.

Liked
    2 times

Default Installed Diamondback HD on '07 Tundra. Impressed.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...ideClosedH.jpg

I finally broke down and ordered the Diamondback HD bed cover for my longbed DCab. After months of soul searching and having made poor choices in the past I paid more money up front with the idea the extra cost would be an insurance premium for future use. Only took a week to deliver and had great dealer to work with. Installed it two days ago.

I really, really like this thing. Even though I bought the HD model I had no problem installing the cover myself in about an hours time of slow, methodical planning and execution. Could do one now in about 20 minutes. Can take it off in it's entirety in about the same.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/SideOpen.jpg

Options I ordered (not shown in photos) were the heavy-duty cab guard (ni headache rack) and the optional side toolboxes. I am having the tool box interiors sprayed with bed liner so they aren't installed yet. And I didn't care for the looks of the HD cab guard. I am swapping it for the standard low-profile cab guard. Just a personal preference and there is nothing wrong with the heavy-duty guard.

Here's what you get at the loading dock when it arrives:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...td/Package.jpg

The two tool boxes seen in the rear of the truck are Geneva truck drawers as sold at Northern Tool and the ilk so don't confuse them with the Diamondback tool boxes I have yet to install in the front. I always use them on my trucks as I loath dealing with a behind the cab saddle-type box.

Here are some more details:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t.../RailClamp.jpg

4 Clamps are used to hold center section down on bed. These are the ones designed for the factory cargo rail system but normal ones are also included in case the truck doesn't have cargo rail system. The bolts provided by Diamondback were about 1/4" too short so I replace them with some longer cad-plated grade 8 bolts I had laying around the shop. Maybe the originals would work after the seals have set for some time.

All three panels have heavy-duty aluminum beams traversing the span of the bed, providing the Diamondback factory weight rating of 1,600 lbs.
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/BackOpen.jpg

I'll probably never see that much weight on the cover but may haul an ATV or occasional pallet of material on it. See in photo below for Japanese mini truck in background, which may eventually find it's way up there.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...%22%3E%3C/a%3Ehttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t.../FrontOpen.jpg

The front and rear panels are locked down with lock rods that engage into the OEM cargo rails. Here is a view of the front panel lock rods:
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...FrontLatch.jpg

Here is a view of how the lock rod engages the OEM cargo rail in the rear (removed my plastic rail plug for a better photo):
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...td/LockRod.jpg

The tailgate can be opened and closed with the cover down and the tailgate compresses a seal along the trailing edge of the rear cover. Here's a shot of a rear corner:
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...ltd/Corner.jpg

I am very pleased with the cover with only a couple of minor nit picks at this point. I am a little concerned that the latch handles may get damaged if I have a forklift slide a pallet onto the back. It would be nice if the handles were flush to avoid this. I'm not too concerned but will have to watch carefully when loading the rare pallet.
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...BackClosed.jpg

Needless to say I won't be carrying any long loads like lumber or railroad ties atop the cover until I get the new cab guard installed.

All in all I am very happy with the cover. When it and the tailgate are locked it would be an intimidating endeavor to break in. When the cover is removed it comes off cleanly without any itinerant hardware left on the truck.

I'll throw a couple of more photos into this post after I install the tool boxes and cab guard.
    Last edited by nhparrot; 03-11-2008 at 02:36 AM.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Installed Diamondback HD on '07 Tundra. Impressed.

I see it has lots of rope cleats for tying that boat to a dock.

Liked
    1 times

How weathertight does it appear to be? What did it cost you if you don't mind me asking? Keep us posted after the first rain storm, unless you soak it down with a garden hose to check for any leaks. It looks awesome! I was just telling a buddy of mine about these last night. The big reason I have not purchased a tonneau was because of my ATV, this could be my solution!

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    2 times

Looks nice. How much did it run you?
    TUNDRA786
    2007 Tundra Crew Max 4.7 TRD 4x4
    285/65/18's with BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's
    BedRug, Undercover, Bed Extender, Husky Liners

Liked
    2 times

I paid $1394 plus $125 shipping. That same price is on eeBaay (type "Diamondback HD" in search). However, I used a different dealer than the guy on eeBaay to avert sales tax. Fantastic product and great folks to talk to at the factory. I think the cab guard is just over $200 and the side tool boxes are about $170 but I don't have the invoice in front of me.

If you plan on the ATV thing then they have complete packages whether you want to side load or rear load. It's cheaper to get the kit with the cover than to add on the ramps, rails and guard later.

Haven't had any rain yet but the seal is the same stuff they use on airplane doors (like a Piper Comanche). I have a spray-in Rhino lining and added a small strip of rectangular cross-section foam rubber seal along the top of the front of the bed, behind the rear window. This is because the front bed rail is slightly lower than the side rails because the side rails have the plastic guards on them. This added piece of seal levels out the sealing surface so the front cover seal gets the same compression all the way around.

And now one from the knucklehead department.......

One thing about the Diamondback cover. You should always lock the cover when traveling. You wouldn't want the front cover to come open at 80mph. You'll have to change your underwear if that happens. Don't ask me how I know. I will say it's a damage tolerant design and with 6 pop rivets and a rivet gun the cover will be no worse for wear. Astounding. Glad I got that over with before installing the cab guard.
    Last edited by jliltd; 10-12-2007 at 08:04 PM.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a friend who has the ATV package. The cover, in general is amazing. I love the way they look. Plus, having the ATV's on top looks really cool, and is very convenient for transporting these machines around.

This type of cover makes more sense to me, than any other. it is just practical to have a cover that can haul stuff on top, and has three panels to allow you to haul taller objects. If anyone has any questions let me know

Liked
    2 times

Okay. I went through the high-pressure carwash (touchless kind) at the local corner Circle K. No water penetrated into the bed. None whatsoever. Not the same test as driving for hours in pouring rain behind semi trucks but impressive nonetheless.

I will be adding a tailgate seal surround strip to keep dust from entering the cover in the rear through the tailgate gaps. I drive mostly off-road dusty farm roads. Have the seal left over from another project so what the hey. New cab guard on the way and I'll update initial post with photos after I get it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

yeah, from what I have gathered, they do a great job of keeping water. I am not at all suprised by that result. lookin forward to hearing more about what you think of the product

Liked
    2 times

Nothing new yet, except customer support has been fantastic. They aren't charging me freight either way to swap out my cab guard even though I am going to the less-expensive model. Great guys to talk to on the phone.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Yeah i love these covers. Jliltd, do you have any more thoughts on the cover?

Liked
    2 times

This may be a bit long winded but since you asked.... (and I left my digital camera in South Texas last week so that will save some load time here).....

I had a good long trip last week. This included driving in rain, sleet, snow and passing through high-pressure touchless & touchme carwashes. Since adding my tailgate seal I have no water leaks. If didn't have a spray-in bed liner that comes up over the edge of the front bulkhead then I may also have had to add a strip of foam weatherstripping to the top edge of the front bulkhead. The thickness of my spray-in Rhino lining allows the Diamondback seal to compress enough to seal and has been watertight so far. The tailgate seal was mandatory as the gaps left between the tailgate and bed sides and bottom are massive and suck everything from boiling dust to rain inside the rear of the bed.

For more information on the tailgate seal see the following TS thread:

Tail gate seal

I am very pleased with my HD. I am also very happy with the low-profile cab guard (didn't think much of the HD tall cab guard). I picked up some cab-to-cab Trail Boss Sideboards for one of my Superduties while passing through San Antonio on Saturday. They are about 10' long and the package weights about 200lbs. I threw them up on the cover and strapped them down. That freaked out the fellows at the place I bought the boards. It kept my bed free for luggage without having to open the tailgate to accomodate the load. I've also hauled OSB and plywood on top along with two railroad ties and some housewrap. Works great.

My impressions would be: Get the HD if you do plan on heavy loads, for real. Otherwise get the SE. I could probably get away with an SE cover 80% of the time but the other 20% is very important to me. The SE is much lighter and easier to remove. If you have loads that can shift then go for the lo-pro cab guard.

As an aside I get all sorts of questions about my truck now. Only difference was the Diamondback. One guy at Wal Mart stood with his basket watching me park staring at the truck. When I got out he swore my truck had a 9' bed instead of an 8'. I assured him it was an 8' but now wish I'd had a little fun and told him Toyotas longbeds only come with 9' beds.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by jliltd
    Are you still satisfied with your tonneau cover? I've had a Fold A Cover that fell apart on me and an Under Cover that leaks. If I get a refund from Under Cover I'm considering the Diamond Back Cover. I use my truck in the Mining and Construction industries and I need something that is secure and water tight. I'm just curious to see if it is holding up to your daily work. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Very satisfied. I use it constantly and load the heck out of the top with plywood, pipe and the like. I even carried some 14' wheel-to-wheel pipe sideboards from San Antonio to El Paso (they were for one of our Powerstroke Fords). After installing the tailgate seal I have had no problems with water or dust leakage.

If I open the front and rear at the same time at night the cargo light illuminates the entire bed (bounces nicely off the shiny side of the front cover). I have some Geneva rear tool boxes and they have about 3" clearance below the cover.

I would do it again. I felt kind of sick when I ordered it and paid the price. I was all better after seeing the quality upon delivery. Using it daily I think I got my money's worth. It's a very well engineered product. It has upped the utility of my truck twofold and is tough enough to take most anything. It's holding up as well as the Toyota is.

Since you work your truck I would say you'd like it too. If you used your truck like a soccer mom or just like the way it looked I'd say it was overkill. This is a real manly cover.

I apologize for not having updated photos since installing the tool boxes and short cab guard. I'll do that soon.

Hope this helps.

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
    Very satisfied. I use it constantly and load the heck out of the top with plywood, pipe and the like. I even carried some 14' wheel-to-wheel pipe sideboards from San Antonio to El Paso (they were for one of our Powerstroke Fords). After installing the tailgate seal I have had no problems with water or dust leakage.

If I open the front and rear at the same time at night the cargo light illuminates the entire bed (bounces nicely off the shiny side of the front cover). I have some Geneva rear tool boxes and they have about 3" clearance below the cover.

I would do it again. I felt kind of sick when I ordered it and paid the price. I was all better after seeing the quality upon delivery. Using it daily I think I got my money's worth. It's a very well engineered product. It has upped the utility of my truck twofold and is tough enough to take most anything. It's holding up as well as the Toyota is.

Since you work your truck I would say you'd like it too. If you used your truck like a soccer mom or just like the way it looked I'd say it was overkill. This is a real manly cover.

I apologize for not having updated photos since installing the tool boxes and short cab guard. I'll do that soon.

Hope this helps.

I'm thinking of buying a diamond back atv cover for my long box tundra . I was wondering how much weight lbs have you carried on yours and how has the box sides held up to the weight ? I worry that if i put two full size atvs that weigh 1300 lbs on top and go down the odd rough road the box may not handle the weight . What do you think ?
    Double cab long box 4x4 5.7 L slate grey . would have bought a limited if available with long box

Liked
    2 times

I saw an episode of ATV World on the Outdoor Channel in February '08 that showed a 2007 Tundra with Diamondback cover carrying two big quads. They even showed them loading and unloading. The truck was a DCab standard box so they used an extra support cantilevered off the back so both ATVs could fit. That's not necessary if you have the 8' bed.

I have had a 1,200 lb Subaru Sambar on the back of mine no problem. Two quads would have a better distributed load than the Sambar (i.e. 8 fat wheels vs. 4 skinny ones on the Sambar). So I bet a 1,200lb Sambar is a more extreme load than a 1,300 lb dual ATV load.

I've also carried pipe, building materials and hay bales on top. Not a lick of trouble. I even forgot and left a portable tool box on top one time and it did not slide off on a 10 mile trek.

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
    I saw an episode of ATV World on the Outdoor Channel in February '08 that showed a 2007 Tundra with Diamondback cover carrying two big quads. They even showed them loading and unloading. The truck was a DCab standard box so they used an extra support cantilevered off the back so both ATVs could fit. That's not necessary if you have the 8' bed.

I have had a 1,200 lb Subaru Sambar on the back of mine no problem. Two quads would have a better distributed load than the Sambar (i.e. 8 fat wheels vs. 4 skinny ones on the Sambar). So I bet a 1,200lb Sambar is a more extreme load than a 1,300 lb dual ATV load.

I've also carried pipe, building materials and hay bales on top. Not a lick of trouble. I even forgot and left a portable tool box on top one time and it did not slide off on a 10 mile trek.
    I contacted Fisher atv world about there use of a tundra with a diamond back atv cover and a couple atv's on rough roads . They said they have not had any issue at all. With the box sides flexing or kinking . They did recommend using super springs though . I had already decided to go with air bags instead .

thank you for your sharing your experience .
    Double cab long box 4x4 5.7 L slate grey . would have bought a limited if available with long box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast