What Works Well For Cleaning Tonneau Covers?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: What Works Well For Cleaning Tonneau Covers?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default What Works Well For Cleaning Tonneau Covers?

I have Truxedo Lo Pro Black Vinyl Tonneau cover. I wash it with car soap when I clean my truck but it really needs to be shined up. What is a good product to use on this that won't dry out the cover or fade it? Is Tonno Tonic any good? Thanks for any info...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2320006
    2005 Silver Streak Mica Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport pkg.# 2,Axcess Cab,2WD,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonnue cover,Auto Vent Shades,Carbon Fiber TRD 3rd brake-Light Cover,JVC Sirius Satellite Radio,Tacoma Bed Matt,AMI Shorty Antenna,Trd Oil Cap,TRD Hitch-Cover,20% Lumar Window Tint,Borla Cat-Back Performance Exhaust,ABS Chrome Grille Cover and I'm Sure I'll Be Broke When I'm All said and Done

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    22 times
    Images

Default Re: What Works Well For Cleaning Tonneau Covers?

I just put 303 Aerospace Protectant on my Lo Pro today - it made it look just like new!

Liked
    0 times

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Why not use armor all?

Liked
    22 times
    Images

I use both 303 Aerospace Protectant and Armor All on my truck. Some people claim there is a big difference, but the only difference I can see is that the 303 seems to last a little longer. I have a great test area on my truck. I got wax on the bed rail, and both make it disappear for a while. But after one rain or wash it is back again if I use Armor All, and it takes 3 or 4 with the 303. Anyone know how to remove it, rather than just cover it up for a while?

Liked
    0 times

Armor All will dry it out...I think. At least that is what I heard. I have personally never used it on my covers. I usually but some protectant made for tonneaus. I hear 303 is good, but I have just bought some brand that has been available at the auto parts store...
    The New - - 2007 Sun Fusion FJ Cruiser
    Deep Cycle Battery-Running Boards-That's It For Now But Not For Long
    The Old - - 2005 Tacoma TRD Off-Road (I Miss My Baby)
    Dual Optima Batteries-Toytec Lift-MB Motoring Wheels-285/75/16 Nitto Grapplers-Waeco Portable Fridge/Freezer-Yakima Roof Rack-Softopper Canvas Top-Airaid Intake Kit-Billet Grille-Flowmaster 40-Aries Nerf Bars-Tint-Wade Hood Protector-TRD Seat Covers-Bed Extender-Toyota Bed Mat & TRD Floor Mats-XBar Light Bar

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by dickinsonj
    I got wax on the bed rail, and both make it disappear for a while. But after one rain or wash it is back again if I use Armor All, and it takes 3 or 4 with the 303. Anyone know how to remove it, rather than just cover it up for a while?
    A toothbrush (or fingernail brush) and rubbing alcohol will do the trick. It takes some serious scrubbing, but it works. I bought one of the cheap powered toothbrushes to use on my Tundra. The alcohol will take off whatever wax you have on the paint as well, so when you finish up you should go back and wax near the area you just worked on.
    2010 CrewMax, Salsa Red Pearl, SR-5, 4WD, 5.7L FF
    Mods to date: Volant CAI, N-Fab step bars w/ lights, TRD Sway Bar, Extang Tri-Fold Tonneau, Line-Xed bed, 35% Formula One window tint, WeatherTech floor liners, EGR in-channel vent visors, Audiovox CAMSBAR backup camera, Homelink Auto-dimming mirror, Clazzio seat covers, Pioneer FH-P8000BT head unit, CDT EF-61 comps, Image Dynamics IDQ10V.3 subs, Sundown Audio SAX-125.2 amp, Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D amp.

Liked
    0 times

Soap and water...the same stuff you wash your truck with, should suffice. I've heard that if you use other products it will run down your paint and make streaks on your side panels and tailgate if it rains. My Access LE care instructions say mild soap and water and that has worked fine with me. The tree pollen is so bad here right now that cleaning it is futile...Each day there is a new layer...

'06 Tacoma access cab TRD Sport V6 auto with tow package...micah silver
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241706/1

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I use Mothers Back to Black on my Undercover Tonneau. Seems to work fine for several washings. I just wipe it down after the wash with a wet rag to remove any spotting that may occur.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Re: What Works Well For Cleaning Tonneau Covers?

I am currently using, and I have had good experience with the PPC-Formula 2 Tonneau Cleaner. I own an Access Roll Up Cover, and was recommended the Formula 2 Cleaner when I bought the cover. Shop.Agricover.com - PPC Formula 2 Tonneau Cleaner | Conditions Cleans and Protects your Roll-Up Bed Cover - Product Details

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I use Murphy Oil Soap to clean my convertible's top, and follow it by a protectant (e.g. 303).

Supporting Vendor Billy@AutoCustoms.com's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times

Check out our thread to see a video on how to maintain or clean you tonneau cover, we also have listed some suggested cleaners/protectants that are specifically made for tonneau covers as well!

Tips On How To Clean/Maintain Your Tonneau Cover
    Last edited by Billy@AutoCustoms.com; 06-29-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    Looking To Upgrade Your Toyota Tundra?
    Toyota Tundra Brakes | Toyota Tundra Tonneau Covers | Toyota Tundra Running Boards | Toyota Tundra Nerf Bars | Toyota Tundra Intakes / Exhaust / Tuners

PM US FOR "TUNDRASOLUTIONS" FORUM DISCOUNTS!
    Or Give Us A Call Today At 1-888-274-3308

Follow Us On Facebook!
    Facebook - AutoCustoms | Facebook - BuyBrakes.com

LinkBacks (?)