Toyota Tundra Forums banner

cruise control issues

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  douggytundra 
#1 ·
My 05 double cab 4x4 tundra acts kind of weird when you resume the cruise. When you hit resume it will down shift once until it is 1mph away from target speed and than down shift again for the final mph. It happens every time. If you hit resume within 1mph of target mph it will down shift twice and peg out the tack and sit there for a few seconds. It has always done this and it also did this in my 06. It is just really getting annoying.

#2 ·
Me too.
I think this was discussed in the Gen-1 forum a few times. It also appears to be a Tundra flaw (?) that has been unresolved. My view is that it doesn't recognize the overdrive and shifts down to 3rd to reach the desired speed. Then hops 4th and goes right to 5th. Theory tho. ha

Others have noted that its in the towing features of the tow package. It engages the lower gear for towing large hauls to get the extra boost. I don't tow much, so I'm not much help here I guess. But it sounds logical to me.

When it happens to you, is this at a highway cruising speed or lower speeds as well? I agree it's annoying as hell, and definitely wakes up anyone ridin' shotgun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.