Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Are you happy?

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Marazzito 
#1 ·
I am currently a Tundra owner but have owned Jeeps most my life.... I am SERIOUSLY thinking about a black TRD FJ 4x4 and was wondering how everyone likes them? good and bad input welcome, thanks

#3 ·
I love mine and still excited about driving it. Gets a lot of looks. Only one front electrical outlet (radar detctor,GPS,cell phone charger,etc), that kind of sucks, other than that it's awesome.

#4 ·
I keep telling myself id get an FJ over a Jeep Rubicon for reliability but a Rubicon seems like it would still be much more capable off road.

#5 ·
Probably cheaper too, you get what you pay for. I don't know if it is more off road capable than the FJ, that would be a bold statement.

#7 ·
Had my Black Cherry 4x4 for a month now and getting 18+ Mpg instead of 13 on my 05 Tundra double cab.Put the 20"BBS wheels on it and it handles great on the highway which is predominatly where i drive.I can not say about its 4 wheeling capibilites but by reading the reviews its great
Glad i made the change.Especially when it comes to parking spots.

#8 ·
I keep telling myself id get an FJ over a Jeep Rubicon for reliability but a Rubicon seems like it would still be much more capable off road.
sold a Rubi unlimited to get my Tundra.... Jeeps are great! Just sucked with 2 younguns in the back. I want a new 4 door rubi. And yes it is far more off road capable than an FJ or any other IFS vehicle.

#9 ·
sold a Rubi unlimited to get my Tundra.... Jeeps are great! Just sucked with 2 younguns in the back. I want a new 4 door rubi. And yes it is far more off road capable than an FJ or any other IFS vehicle.
Your still not going to have room for the Younguns in the back in a FJ.If your thinking off road and want the back seat room better get the Rubi.I miss my back seat room in the Tundra.I needed it over the holidays

#10 ·
The jeep is more off road capable (still yet to be seen) until it breaks down when it hits 20,000 miles(I had one).Also, check the Baja 1000 results this year and last year. The FJ's debute wins it and that is with IFS by the way.:)

#11 ·
IFS (independant front suspension) is cv joints up front instead of a solid axle.
I have been wheeling my fj for a while an it compares to the jeep. The jeep you have to watch out for the drive shaft that is aluminium and thin you scatch it it splits open, the fj its the rear lower links that are exposed and will bend if you do serious rock climbing.

Side by side they are both trail rated. Comfort side the fj win hands down.

#12 ·
I got 213K miles on my 1993 Jeep, which I traded in for my FJ(they gave me $750). The FJ is certainly waaaaay more comfy than the Jeep, and I haven't gotten stuck yet, but I will. Factory racks both suck, as do nearly vertical windshields. FJ cost about 2x as much as my Jeep, but prices are up, and I got all the bells and whistle. I'm pretty happy with it.

#13 ·
The jeep is more off road capable (still yet to be seen) until it breaks down when it hits 20,000 miles(I had one).Also, check the Baja 1000 results this year and last year. The FJ's debute wins it and that is with IFS by the way.:)
man all My Jeeps CJ, YJ, TJ, Unliited Rubi all had way more than 20k miles... no problems. The new engine I am not too sure about, but the old 4.0 is indestructable!

#14 ·

Agreed! With the Rubicon you get Solid Front and Rear Axles and Lockers. IFS just sucks all around unless your looking for that "Cadillac" ride. Another reason I would never buy a 3/4 or 1 ton Chevy, they use IFS.

#15 ·
Rubicon is definitely much more capable stock then a stock FJ.

I would still get an FJ over a rubicon though just because the Rubicons dont drive well on paved surfaces in comparison to the FJ

#16 ·
Rubicons dont drive well on paved surfaces in comparison to the FJ
They ride EXACTLY the same as any other TJ. You don't feel selectable lockers, 4:1 transfer, or fancy rubi hood stickers on the pavement.

#17 ·
You get what you pay for. I think there are some jeep web sites around.

#18 ·
Is anyone actually talking from experience or what it looks like on paper? On paper... Hands down the win goes to the J**p. In all honesty the only place a solid front will beat a good IFS is on the rocks. I do a lot of wheeling with the TLCA so I see a lot of FJ's and they really hold their own. I never thought I'd say that about an IFS vehicle, but they are pretty impressive. Now compared to a Rubicon you get one extra locker and a 4:1 tcase, this will give the Rubicon an advantage in my oppinion. An FJ will outwheel any other Jeep model I gaurentee it and I think it would be able to hold its own against a Rubicon. From what I have seen the A-Trac is set up very well (never thought i'd say that) and it does have a rear locker. I would also put my money on the FJ in the sand. Sure it would have been nice if the brought back a real Cruiser like My FJ40 but the FJ still is a damn capable truck. Toyota has a well known reputation for their offroad ability all over the world and they didn't get that by chance. The J**p has its downfalls too, off the trail there is no comparison.

#20 ·
Still love my FJ. It's my daily driver first, and my hunting / off road expedition vehicle second. There's few places that I can't (truthfully won't) go in it.

I'm not a rock crawler or a desert racer, so my focus is not on those aspects. I do go into some pretty rough country and the FJ has been perfect for me.

I'd personally choose an FJ again. I have no regrets and have been driving mine for more than a year....

#21 ·
Jeep
Pro
Cheaper
Rubicon has another locker and is definitely more capable then any stock FJ
ability for a roomy back seat
convertable option
Has a very high resale value
cons
Not as reliable as the FJ

FJ
Pro's
Rides WAY better.
Will last much longer and give you fewer problems.

Cons
It wont perform as well off road to the Rubicon (both without mods).
I dont wanna get flammed since this a toyota fourm but im just speaking my opinion.

My choice would be the FJ. I go off roading but dont go rock climbing and for just about everything i would do the FJ would be perfect.

#22 ·
LOL...the FJC is no FJ40, but it's damn capable! Maybe the best description would be the FJC is a road rig that's excellent offroad, and the Rubi is a trail rig that's excellent on-road?

I've seen stock Rubis on Pritchett Canyon, they are very well built.

A stock FJC has also been through Pritchett Canyon...they are also well built :tu:.

The differences have already been detailed very well here :tu: and they might be important depending on what you wanna do with it. For most people and the light offroading they do, daily driving and grocery getting, just buy whatever brand you like or whichever rig you think looks better :p. They'll both get the job done :).

-Sean

#23 ·
LOL...the FJC is no FJ40, but it's damn capable! Maybe the best description would be the FJC is a road rig that's excellent offroad, and the Rubi is a trail rig that's excellent on-road?
Well put. The FJ Cruisers can not keep up with my FJ40, but the well built ones can get most of the places I can taking different lines and more time. At the same time, a stock stock Rubicon can't either. Then again I do have 37" tires along with a whole other list of goodies. You could make one hell of a rock crawler out of a Rubicon with a lot less money than it would take to do the same for an FJ just because the IFS would have to go if you were truely trying to make a rock buggy. I don't really think that's the point of this thread though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.