Toyota Tundra Forums banner

07-08 Tundra Undercover owners

13K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  yanksfool 
#1 ·
Is water getting in you rbed when you open it? I called and they said the rubber flap was installed too far back, but I don't see how it could be any farther forward. They sent me a new one but don't see why this would help. Needs to be longer I believe. Any experiences??

#28 ·
I got my new flap in the mail..... I probably won't install until the spring - too cold now.... not sure how the glue will set up

#29 ·
The quick removal and weight of this tonneau are all big pluses for me. I just hope they find a resolution to this problem soon. I'm basically waiting for undercover to say they have fixed it before I purchase the cover. Otherwise, I will have to find an alternative! To all you current undercover tonneau owners, please keep us posted with any fixes they have sent or recommended to you. Thanks!

#30 ·
I talked to them today and I was told that they were engineered with the wrong seal on the bulkhead end. They (Undercover) are going to send a new seal for me to put on there to prevent the leaking. Hopefully this will work. No response on the paint rubbing issue though.

I definitely wouldn't by this thing again. It's just too much of a PITA.

By the way--I have a double cab with the 6.5' bed.

#31 ·
I am very disappointed with the undercover...it squeks from the hinges, I have sprayed the hinges with white lithium grease to stop it, the cover has rubbed the paint off the back of the truck and it does not fit right...it overhangs one side more than the other and I can't fix it...I will be contacting them and asking for a refund...very disappointed.

#32 ·
Hi Greg,

I decided instead of me trying to get my Undercover adjusted the way it should be, I Emailed one of the owners, David Wells, at Uncercover, and he set up an appointment for me with a local performance/accessory truck shop here in Massachusetts. I went in and they corrected the bracket position and realigned the Undercover so that it fit correctly on both sides. It opens and closes just fine. Never had a scratch problem. No Squeeking problem at all. I was more than satisfied with what they did with my Undercover and they told me any charges would be picked up by Undercover. And if I needed a new Undercover, it would be paid for by Undercover, one had already been ordered for me as a replacement, just in case. Can't ask more than that.

FredSG

#34 ·
Hi Greg,

I decided instead of me trying to get my Undercover adjusted the way it should be, I Emailed one of the owners, David Wells, at Uncercover, and he set up an appointment for me with a local performance/accessory truck shop here in Massachusetts. I went in and they corrected the bracket position and realigned the Undercover so that it fit correctly on both sides. It opens and closes just fine. Never had a scratch problem. No Squeeking problem at all. I was more than satisfied with what they did with my Undercover and they told me any charges would be picked up by Undercover. And if I needed a new Undercover, it would be paid for by Undercover, one had already been ordered for me as a replacement, just in case. Can't ask more than that.

FredSG
That is great to hear. As someone very interested in having one installed, I still have the question of whether or not you get water in the bed near the cab side when lifting it while it is wet? Thank you...

#35 ·
TigerKing,

So far my experience with my Undercover has been favorable. Although, sometimes, when I open it, I will either get NO water coming in from the cab end, or some water dribbiling in. It seems to depend on how much water is rolling down towards the cab and/or how quickly I open it.

I went out looking for a "fix." Basically, I was looking for something that would eliminate the gap between the Undercover unit and the lip of the bed located close to the cab end to prevent water from dribbling into the bed area closest to the cab end.

I Emailed a company called Cooper-Standard Automotive. They manufacture weather stripping. One type of weather stripping they manufacture that I thought might work is the push-on type of weather stripping.

These have a wire mesh covered by rubber with various shapes of rubber which serve as the seal. You push these on a metal lip to form a lasting weather stripping seal. Any way, the company sent me about 22 different push-on weather strips, all tied together, to try to solve my leak. There were five or six that I thought might do the trick. Unfortunately, the lip on the Tundra bed closest to the cab is too thick to accept the push-on weather strips. So that route is out.

My next option is to try some sort of adhesive weather stripping that I can secure to the top of the lip to close the "gap" between the Undercover and the bed (lip) closest to the cab.

Or, install it on the inside edge of the lip so that it extends above the lip thus closing the gap and preventing water from dripping into the bed.

Hope this is clear to all of you reading this. I'm waiting for the weather to clear and warm up before I try the adhesive approach. I hope the guys at Undercover read this too ;)

FredSG

#36 ·
Do you recommend to others to buy Undercover or is this water problem just too inconvenient? I have researched other covers, but have found all to be too expensive or also have issues. Thank you.

#38 ·
Hi Tigerking,

With all the bed covers on the market, I would never recommend to someone that they buy an Undercover over another brand. My friend had one put on his Tundra (2007) and I liked the way it looked and he was really pleased with it.

On a personal basis, I have never regretted buying it, and my only complaint is the dribble of water I get as I explained in my other posts on this thread. There has to be a fix for the dribble. I am waiting for the weather to improve so I can investigate a possible solution. I like the double locks and the way it looks contrasted with my pyrite mica paint job. The other plus was that it was about what I was willing to spend and it had an excellent reputation on this forum among other members who bought it, except for the dribble problem!

But, you have to chose what works for you. The Undercover works for me!

FredSG

#39 ·
Tundra786,

Are you asking me that question? Please explain what you are looking for in the way of info, if your question was intended for me?

FredSG

#40 ·
Thanks for all of your help everyone! Looks like I will have one installed this week; I will post pics of my slate CM after. I can't wait........

#41 ·
You won't be disappointed I have the Undercover on my Silver CM and have yet to have a water issue it is rock solid and it doesn't make contact to paint anywhere on the bed. I haven't experienced any squeaks or rubbing as others have mentioned. I believe the poor performance people are experiencing is largely due to poor installation.

#42 ·
You won't be disappointed I have the Undercover on my Silver CM and have yet to have a water issue it is rock solid and it doesn't make contact to paint anywhere on the bed. I haven't experienced any squeaks or rubbing as others have mentioned. I believe the poor performance people are experiencing is largely due to poor installation.

It has nothing to do with the installation, the cover has faults which Undercover has admitted. They have been working with me for over 3 months, replaced it, changed struts on the new one, still no fix. The seal folds up under the cover EVERY time I close it. Water has nothing to stop it.

#44 ·
I had it installed a couple weeks ago and LOVE IT so far! I have not had to open it after a rain or wash yet however so I am not sure about the leaking part. The weather strip which touches the cab did suck in to the bed after install, but it was cold and did not have time to mold to shape yet. I have not had that problem for last couple of weeks while showing it off, plus the weather is a bit warmer now here in STL. Here are some pics on this link:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/127088-undercover-visors-sills-weathertechs-pics/

Awesome looking cover for my Slate Metallic to go along with all of my other black accents!

#45 ·
depending on conditions every cover leaks, even caps, this from a well known shop here in Denver.
There's a HUGE difference between leaking and malfunctioning. The weather strip on mine (and others) just flat out will not go outside the bulkhead. I can get in my bed and pull the cover closed slowly while tucking the strip out and still not get it. Basically, it is a 2 man job to close my tonneau correctly. David Lyons is flying into Pittsburgh next weekend to look into it. Hopefully we get it solved. I at least appreciate the fact that they stand behind their product and are genuinely interested in getting it right.

#46 ·
There's a HUGE difference between leaking and malfunctioning. The weather strip on mine (and others) just flat out will not go outside the bulkhead. I can get in my bed and pull the cover closed slowly while tucking the strip out and still not get it. Basically, it is a 2 man job to close my tonneau correctly. David Lyons is flying into Pittsburgh next weekend to look into it. Hopefully we get it solved. I at least appreciate the fact that they stand behind their product and are genuinely interested in getting it right.
i have an armorlid which apparently has a larger front flap and it never gets sucked in but i saw an undercover on a taco teh other day and asked him about it. his flap did turn under when open but he just put self adhesive modlign like what was shown above along the top edge of the bulkhead of the bed and it closed up that gap and forced the flap to stay outside. makes it water tight"er" if that makes sense too. if i have a leak in mine ill do the same thing. sticks to the bed itself so the cover is still removeable...might do it anywya just as reassurance i have left over molding from when i sealed around my tail gate.

#47 ·
David Lyons flew into Pittsburgh to replace my Undercover as it was leaking still. We had tried everything...moved the seal, changed the struts. The paint rub should also be solved as the new ones are cut @ 1/8th inch higher thus are further from the paint. They also have changed the lock mechanisms, and they have a piece of plastic (like small andle iron) that they stick on the top of the bulkhead to help the weather strip go outside the bed. I am sure they would send one to anyone who needs help with the weather strip. I highly recommend calling them if you have any issues. They are sincerely interested in fixing all the issues. I wouldn't expect them to fly into every city, but it was like mine was almost a "mission" as they called it. I think they learned some things from mine, and they will stand by their product, you do not need to worry about that. I am sold on their product now that I see how devoted they are to their customers. I will purchase their covers again, and recommend it to anyone interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.