Toyota Tundra Forums banner

What is the rated towing capacity of an 05 DC 4X4?

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  tomhole 
#1 ·
I searched and looked around, but can't find it. I feel dumb. So I'm taking the easy route and asking you all here. Does someone know for sure?

T.I.A.

#3 ·
I have a 05 dcab, I tow an 18' toyhauler with rhino in it along with everything else, plus dirtbike in the bed of the truck.

GVWR on toyhauler is 7,650...tows it no prob.

If you have load levelers & sway control plus airbags the tundra can tow alot.

#4 ·
6,500lbs PERIOD! This includes ALL passengers and cargo in the Tundra. Do NOT excede the max tow capacity as some would suggest no matter what type of hitch you're using. This is very dangerous and STUPID!

#5 ·
6,500lbs PERIOD! This includes ALL passengers and cargo in the Tundra. Do NOT excede the max tow capacity as some would suggest no matter what type of hitch you're using. This is very dangerous and STUPID!
I believe your wrong, the hand book states with just the hitch you can tow that weight, with weight dist. hitch and sway control you can go a little more.

Whats dangerous, if the trailor has brakes and the rear of the truck is not sagged because of airbags, weight dist. hitch, and swaycontrol.

I have towed with this setup for 2 years now with no prob at all :rolleyes:

#6 ·
It depends on if you have a v8 or v6. I have a 2002 and it is 7100 lbs. While i agree it will tow more without a prob. But if you were to get into an accident and someone got hurt you could be looking at a lot of trouble. Civil and criminal suits could follow.Get the right truck for the job.

#7 ·
DH is slightly wrong, the cargo capacity of the truck is different than the towing capacity. You can still have some weight in the truck without affecting the towing capacity of 6500lbs, at some point as the cargo weight goes up it will affect towing capacity. . Now tundrainorange is completely wrong and dangerous. You should never exeed the towing capacity, no matter what WDH you have. Even if you feel it is safe, it is not, and like sr5mike said, if there is an accident you will be liable in both criminal and civil lawsuits. Search the towing forums. There are hard numbers posted for the 2005 DC 4x4, and the numbers are in the manual and on the truck itself. I tow a 31" TT and looked into these numbers before I bought my trailer. Be safe for everyone, get the right truck for the job.

#9 ·
Its a coachman captiva ultralite. Dry weight is 4800lbs(brochure, I am sure it is higher) loaded weight came in at just over 5600lbs. Check the towing forums under "what do you tow with your tundra" , I have a picture of the setup on the last page (might be second to last know, havent check in a while), there are others with similar ultralite TT.

#11 ·
Thanx eveyone, I will check out the towing forum. I must be close to the capacity rating when I pull my boat. Boat states 4500lb dry, add $300.00 of fuel, and gear, and a tandem trailer and I think I'm close. It does pull it better then my Chevy or Ford I have had, for the record.

#12 ·
DH is slightly wrong, the cargo capacity of the truck is different than the towing capacity. You can still have some weight in the truck without affecting the towing capacity of 6500lbs, at some point as the cargo weight goes up it will affect towing capacity. . Now tundrainorange is completely wrong and dangerous. You should never exeed the towing capacity, no matter what WDH you have. Even if you feel it is safe, it is not, and like sr5mike said, if there is an accident you will be liable in both criminal and civil lawsuits. Search the towing forums. There are hard numbers posted for the 2005 DC 4x4, and the numbers are in the manual and on the truck itself. I tow a 31" TT and looked into these numbers before I bought my trailer. Be safe for everyone, get the right truck for the job.
Below is a link to help clear all this up since I'm slightly wrong :cool:. You can pack a little or a lot of crap in your Tundra...bottom line it all of it effects your towing and cargo capacity.

Your truck is only rated to move a certain amount of weight regardless of where it is. Meaning you can put all of it in the trailer or put some in the truck bed. You cannot exceed the GCWR AND you cannot exceed the cargo capacity (GVWR) of your Tundra. Don't confuse these.

Remember your advertised tow or cargo capacity is an estimate by Toyota.

To find the exact cargo amount would involve weighing the truck and subtracting this weight from the truck GVWR sticker on the driver door jam.

To find the exact towing capacity would mean weighing the truck WITH all your passengers and other items and subtracting this weight from the GCWR.

Then after doing this you would still have to make sure that your hitch will handle all the weight in the trailer. Using a weight distribution system does increase your hitch towing capacity (as stated by tundrainorange) but NOT the truck's towing capacity.

http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/2005/TowingRatings_p12_15.pdf

#13 ·
this sounds interesting, I've read somewhere before, where it shows that 2007-8 Tundra can tow close to 11,000 pounds but not to exceed 16,000 in total weight with trailer? now i am confused

#14 ·
look in the towing forums. but the max rated towing cap means nothing. what really matters is the GVWR of the truck. my 05 DC 4x4 has a GVRW of 11800#. toyota lists that my truck can tow 6700#, that is if the truck is empty with only a driver and weighs 5100#. if you start loading stuff into the truck like cargo and passengers, you actual tow cap will go down. if you have 4 passengers, 200# each, which = 800#, plus some cargo, say another 500# in the bed, you will be able to tow only 5400#'s.

so with the truck @5100# + 800# passengers + 500# cargo = 6400#. then you SUBTRACT this number (6400#) from the GVWR, which is 11800#. 11800#-6400#=5400#. So towing numbers does not mean anything, it is you max GVWR that matter. so with more stuff in the truck, you towing cap will go down.

#15 ·
look in the towing forums. but the max rated towing cap means nothing. what really matters is the GVWR of the truck. my 05 DC 4x4 has a GVRW of 11800#. toyota lists that my truck can tow 6700#, that is if the truck is empty with only a driver and weighs 5100#. if you start loading stuff into the truck like cargo and passengers, you actual tow cap will go down. if you have 4 passengers, 200# each, which = 800#, plus some cargo, say another 500# in the bed, you will be able to tow only 5400#'s.

so with the truck @5100# + 800# passengers + 500# cargo = 6400#. then you SUBTRACT this number (6400#) from the GVWR, which is 11800#. 11800#-6400#=5400#. So towing numbers does not mean anything, it is you max GVWR that matter. so with more stuff in the truck, you towing cap will go down.

Finally, someone who understands! Your dead on.:ts:

#16 ·
Exactly, GVWR (and GCVWR) is all that matters. The allowable trailer weight and payload capacity is just what's left over after doing the math. The '07+ Tundras can hypothetically tow 10,000# or whatever they're "rated" for, however it'd be a stretch to actually not exceed GVWR and tow that much. The 1st gen Tundra has a much more realistic tow capacity in relation to the GVWR. In fact, the GVWR on the 1st gen is just barely less than the '07+ models. Makes no sense.

#17 ·
2 weights matter: GVWR and GCWR. It really is quite simple to figure out what you can tow.

First, go weigh your truck. The curb weight in the brochure is wrong and useless. Then do some really simple math:

11,800 lbs (GCWR of your Tundra)
- empty weight of truck
- all the gear and people added in the truck

= max weight you can tow

6600 lbs (GVWR of your Tundra)
- empty weight of truck
- all the gear and people added in the truck

= max hitch weight you can handle

That's it.

Here's me (2005 DC 4x2 SR5):

11,800 lbs
-5000 lbs
-1000 lbs (600 lbs of people, 400 lbs of gear)

= 5800 lbs

6600 lbs
- 5000 lbs
-1000 lbs

= 600 lbs

My current trailer weighs 5800 lbs and has a hitch weight of 600 lbs. I am at all my limits. I want to increase my hitch weight to 700 lbs for stability. So, I have to lose 100 lbs of cargo (can do) or live with being 100 lbs over on the GVWR (not just ready to do that yet).

The fastest way to tow overweight is to use dry weights, curb weights and anything listed in a brochure. Weighing your rig ensures accuracy. If I went by the brochure and guesstimates, I would have another 1000 lbs to work with. I do not.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.