Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Magnaflow or Flowmaster????

22K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  eye_fling_poo 
#1 ·
I called two places today and got quotes on getting true duel exhausts. One was $950 and the other was $495. I don't get how there could be such a difference. Anyway, I am obviously going with the $495, but should I get magnaflow or flowmaster? I would apprecitate responses from people who have magnaflow or flowmasters. Thanks, and Happy New Year!!!

#4 ·
I have true dual flowmaster super 44's with 2 1/4" pipe. Sounds great, not to terribly loud but you will definately know its not stock, and a little drone over about 70-75 but not to bad. My whole setup with stainless steel rolled tips was only $375. So ill take a little drone knowing I saved a ton of money going with my setup compared to others. And no, I had no loss of low end torque. Hope this helped.

#5 ·
I have true dual flowmaster super 44's with 2 1/4" pipe. Sounds great, not to terribly loud but you will definately know its not stock, and a little drone over about 70-75 but not to bad. My whole setup with stainless steel rolled tips was only $375. So ill take a little drone knowing I saved a ton of money going with my setup compared to others. And no, I had no loss of low end torque. Hope this helped.
What kind of shop did you have put it on? Did you go to a chain or a small auto shop? Thanks for the info.

#7 ·
Aaron,
I have had both Flowmasters and Magnaflow on my trucks. My Flowmasters were replaced twice in 5 years on my Sierra. I replaced them with the Magnaflow and it is now going on 7 years and still looks and sounds good. I live in a very salty area and the Flowmasters corroded badly. They sounded fine on my Sierra, if a bit louder than the Magnaflows but I was younger at the time and louder didn't bother me.

I now have the Magnaflow on both trucks and like the fact that they are stainless and will look good for years. The sound is perfect for me. Not too loud normally but when you get on it, sweeet.

Both brands have their good qualities and they both claim to be better than the other. I prefer stainless when all else is equal due to the fact that they look good and they last forever.

Happy New Year!

KeyWasted

#8 ·
I got a flowmaster 50 SUV series (dual in/dual out) and it's perfect. If you punch it it will howl but otherwise it's a low rumble. I got it off ebay for $65 bucks and installed for $200. Best mod so far....

Today i put in the K&N CAI and now my truck sounds like a NASCAR. Wasn't expecting that--but it's still cool.

#9 ·
I got a flowmaster 50 SUV series (dual in/dual out) and it's perfect. If you punch it it will howl but otherwise it's a low rumble. I got it off ebay for $65 bucks and installed for $200. Best mod so far....

Today i put in the K&N CAI and now my truck sounds like a NASCAR. Wasn't expecting that--but it's still cool.

Is this just muffler, or muffler and pipes?

#10 ·
Is this just muffler, or muffler and pipes?

That would be with the pipe also. I bought the flowmaster 70 series big block version muffler. Most younger people would not like this choice. It is very quiet. Slightly louder than stock. But I am old and don't like the interior drone. 50 series SUV would be a very good choice for a moderately loud muffler. Don't get the 40 series unless you are a teenager wanting the
loudest thing in the neighborhood. The drone will be really bad too.

I paid 100.00 for the muffler and 170.00 for the local muffler shop to install with 2.5" pipes out the sides. 270.00 and got a little performance out of it too. Live in the south (Texas) so I don't have to spend some rediculous amount for some over price exhaust.

#12 ·
Magnaflow mufflers are straight through, exhaust flow does not change direction, is not deflected. Flowmaster has chambers and baffles, exhaust flow is deflected and turned by the baffles and chambers.

#13 ·
Like djb383 said, I would go with Magnaflow also. Its a straight through design, unlike Flowmaster which has chambers, etc.

#14 ·
I prefer the magnaflow because it's loud enough to let ppl know that you don't have stock but not loud enough to annoy the sh_t out of the neighbors...I have magnaflow on my 07 tundra now and sounds good...I had a flowmaster on my 02 Silverado 2500HD and it annoyed everyone and made car alarms go off everywhere (I had Headers and K&N CAI as well so it added to the growl)

#15 ·
I believe Magnaflow stainless muffs have a lifetime warranty. Magnaflow offers many different sizes of muffs and almost all are the straight through design. In most cases, the longer the muffler case, the quieter, the shorter the case, the louder regardless of brand.

I'm wondering if 2 muffs side-by-side would be quieter and have better flow than a single muff?

#16 ·
Mangaflow all the way. I had them on my 00' Lightning, 03 Cobra, and 92 Coupe. They are a great sounding exhaust and built well.

Have you looked in to their Manapack line?
Amazon.com: Magnaflow 14416 Stainless Steel Muffler - Round: Automotive

I ran two of these and had their X installed ahead of the two mufflers. I attached a picture of X and pipes on a Lightning.

Attachments

#17 ·
I believe Magnaflow stainless muffs have a lifetime warranty. Magnaflow offers many different sizes of muffs and almost all are the straight through design. In most cases, the longer the muffler case, the quieter, the shorter the case, the louder regardless of brand.

I'm wondering if 2 muffs side-by-side would be quieter and have better flow than a single muff?
Quiter no, Flow better maybe. Keep in mind once you go true duals you lose the scavenging affect and lost hp. To off set you can put a pro chamber or an "X" pipe on it. Or you could just get a single dual in, dual out muffer and get the same affect.;)

#18 ·
Quiter no, Flow better maybe. Keep in mind once you go true duals you lose the scavenging affect and lost hp. To off set you can put a pro chamber or an "X" pipe on it. Or you could just get a single dual in, dual out muffer and get the same affect.;)
Two muffs wouldn't be quieter than one? Please explain. I thought the quickest Tundra here had true duals (2 muffs), no? :confused:

#20 ·
I have true dual flowmasters and the only thing I lost was the stock sound, not hp. I have no x pipe or pro chamber.

My experience with exhaust (not much) leads me to believe that duals does make a vehicle louder. At least that was the case with my 99 tahoe and 95 s-10, which all started out as single muffler then went to true duals.

#22 ·
Two muffs wouldn't be quieter than one? Please explain.
It depends on the piping sizes and muffler sizes among other things. Adding more mufflers can make things quieter because the exhaust can be exposed to more silencing material in the dual system. On the other hand a dual system has more pipe cross sectional area, which can allow more sound to get out.

#23 ·
Two muffs wouldn't be quieter than one? Please explain. I thought the quickest Tundra here had true duals (2 muffs), no? :confused:

I am confused?? Do you want quiet or quick? The quiet end of things pends on what two mufflers you go with, but I would think they would be louder. But to be honest, I don't know for sure on the loudness of it. I am sure that you would need an X pipe or prochamber to help the scavenging affect.

#24 ·
I have true dual flowmasters and the only thing I lost was the stock sound, not hp. I have no x pipe or pro chamber.

My experience with exhaust (not much) leads me to believe that duals does make a vehicle louder. At least that was the case with my 99 tahoe and 95 s-10, which all started out as single muffler then went to true duals.

You could actually gain a litte with an X pipe or prochamber. It's been dyno proven over the years. I thought it would be louder, but once again it depends on the mufflers. My 70 series flow master is very quiet. Dual in and dual out.

#26 ·
Yes, a dual in/dual out that share the same chambers or have a built in x pipe like some magnaflows would negate the need for an x/h pipe.

I went with Flowmaster personally, and its the best sounding setup Ive ever had. Ive had Magnaflow in the past and have nothing bad to say about them, other than the drone is annoying at times.

As someone above already said, I went with a 50 SUV (pn# 524554) dual in/dual out and it sounds great IMO. No drone whatsoever, but an aggressive growl when you accelerate. Best of both worlds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.