Spare tire is different size

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare tire is different size

Liked
    0 times

Default Spare tire is different size

Most of you probably know this already but my DC Limited came with 20" wheels and the spare is 18". In addition to having a crappy steel rim without the TPMS sensors it is also a smaller and cheaper tire. This is disappointing considering how much I paid for the truck, especially paying extra for the wheel upgrade, and I suspect it may be unsafe for the following reasons:
    • The manual says to always use the same make and model tires on all 4 wheels and to replace them at the same time.
    • The truck could be in 4x4 mode which would lock the wheels and make the smaller wheel spin faster.
    • The truck may not handle a load or trailer safely with the smaller tire installed.
    • The different tread pattern and size might make the truck pull to one side.
    Now I realize that spare tires are just supposed to get you to the nearest repair location but in some states that could be 50 miles or further. With my luck I would get a flat in the rain or snow, while towing or hauling a heavy load, or while using 4x4 mode to do some off-road driving. So it seems entirely inappropriate to me for Toyota to save roughly $20 per vehicle and stick us with this junk. I would have been glad to spend a little extra to make the spare tire match. It's not like this is a 4-cylinder Corolla where you can limp around on a donut, this is the TUNDRA we are talking about! King of the 1/2 ton trucks but with a wimpy and lame spare tire. Guess I need to add a new tire to my list of future upgrades... grrr...
    WileETundra

view all of my 2007 Tundra mod reports and photos

Note: I receive many messages about the NAV Speed Pulse Generator so I continue to build them for people on request. If you want one then just PM me via this forum and include your email address.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Spare tire is different size

In my opinion a spare is advertised to be on the vehicle and anything other than a matching spare isn't a spare. I'm sure that the donut tires in smaller cars have to be certified in some way to meet the expected usage of the vehicle, I would think that a spare any size different than what is on the truck could be dangerous to the passengers or damaging to the vehicle. I would have to have a talk with Toyota customer service about this if it were me. Just my two cents.

Steve

Liked
    0 times

The 20" and 18" wheels/tires that come on the Tundra have the exact same width and diameter. The wheel is taller on the 20 obviously, but the tire is equally a lower profile, giving the same diameter overall.

I bet if you put it on you'd never even feel it. I think you're being a bit dramatic with your list of dangers.

While a 20" spare would be cool, I personally wouldn't want to pay extra for it, which you'd undoubtedly have to do if it was there.

Liked
    0 times

Unfourtuantley I think this is pretty common, the general attitude is save $5 to $20 on 200000 trucks and that is $1,000,000 to $4,000,000 more towards the bottom line, now start looking at cars with the doughnuts and that figure gets bigger and biggggerrrrr$$$$$$. When I was looking around at the different trucks (GMCs') they also do not come with matching wheels, and only the tire size matches on the low end where you are getting little tires anyway to start with.

Just my thoughts from the peanut gallery.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

My tire was same size but steel rim and i called Toyota Socal and you know what they told me "BUY ONE". I told them that manual stated not to mix different types of rims under cautions in owners manual and they said "BUY ONE"? This was not caught by me before i took delivery and all my fault as if it would have made a difference! No excuse for poor C/S

Liked
    0 times

Yeah, I know, this isn't a life or death issue. It's just an irritation when you buy one of the very best trucks they make, loaded with all the options, and you pay extra for the larger wheels, and then you find out you were stiffed on a cheapo spare. At the least I would have liked an option from the dealer: pay another $20 and get a full size spare that matches your set. Now I have a brand new 18" black steel wheel/tire which nobody is going to buy so a new 20" wheel/tire would cost me $$$. To me this situation is like dining at Ruth's Chris and they serve an excellent 5-course meal, the best steak you ever had, then out comes desert and it is one half of a generic sugar-free frozen popsicle from Walmart still in the wrapper...
    WileETundra

Note: I receive many messages about the NAV Speed Pulse Generator so I continue to build them for people on request. If you want one then just PM me via this forum and include your email address.

sim
    Liked
    2 times

I spent a week with the michelin spare on... couldn't really tell a difference... if you look at the door sticker, you'll see that the spare is 'as speced' there.

kinda ticked me off too, but since the door sticker matches, I can't argue much....

(I've tgot the 18s, not the 20s - YMMV)

Liked
    12 times
    Images

I suppose Toyota should have included a Torque wrench in the tool kit too. That way when you get a flat and have to use the TEMPORARY SPARE TIRE, that cannot be seen unless needed, that is BTW the same height as your other 4, you can at least get the lug nuts tightened correctly.

Do you even realize how rediculous you all sound?

Beer please!
    CBTMA (Member and Founding Father: Est. August 15, 2008)
    Clicky>>> What The Heck is CBTMA
    Unknown - "The biological purpose of pain is to prevent the recurrence of stupidity."

Liked
    0 times

The spare's the same diameter but narrower, therefore lighter and gives you more ground clearance under the back.
    1965 Corvette convertible - ZZ430 - arrest me red
    2003 Harley Dyna Superglide Sport - black/blue flames

Liked
    0 times

Has been that way for years, you usually get a same height spare tire on the lowest standard steel wheel, and usually if you have the standard steel wheel they are silver whereas the spare is black, so even the basic truck has a no match assembly. Most people don't rotate the spare in the mix anyway, they just are dry rotted 7-10 years down the road when you need it. The load rating should match the GVWR and GCWR and should be close to whatever the factory or port option tire/wheel asembly. If You find a dealer willing to sell you a 20" alloy with premium tire and TPSM for $20.00; buy 1,500 of em, and I will pay you 25.00 for them. The $7,500.00 profit you gross will be nice.

Liked
    0 times

hello, i bet it has something to do with assembly line also not just savings on tires. one spare for all model trucks .i agree on 40 k truck spare should match.at least tell us and give us a port upgrade option to a matching spare.
    2007 tundra dc,5.7,4x4,ltd,blue streak ,20" wheels nav,xm,flaps and boards

Liked
    0 times

The 20" and 18" wheels/tires that come on the Tundra have the exact same width and diameter.
    The same diameter,but not the same width.

Liked
    5 times

My opinion, although it probably will not be popular, is that some of you guys are expecting too much out of a $35K to $45K truck. That really isn't a high-end vehicle these days. Not when luxury vehicles routinely cost $55-65K. I think the new Tundra is full of compromises.

I would have preferred a matching spare also, however, if asked whether I would add another $400 to $500 to upgrade the spare like I did the other four wheels (to 20" alloy), I would have said absolutely not.

According to one other post, here, because of wheel options being ordered from dealerships, there are supposedly piles of new stock rims sitting at dealerships i.e. when someone orders 20" carved alloy wheels, what do they do with the factory 20's?
    2007 5.7 CrewMax Limited 2WD;

Liked
    0 times

And another thing: the metal rods which insert underneath the tailgate to lower the spare tire will hit and rub against the painted metal edges of the hole under the tailgate when you are cranking away. This is a bad design and could have been fixed easily by inserting a plastic or rubber grommet around the inside edges of the hole. I am going to make my own and install it. I only found this because I lowered the spare tire to install the lock accessory, which by the way is very nice and was much easier to install than on my 02 Tacoma. It also makes it easier to connect the rod since it acts like a funnel when you fish the rod in through the tailgate hole.

Another reason I wanted the spare to be identical is so I could rotate it with the other wheels so that it would always be balanced and of similar tread depth, and to prevent the dry rot mentioned above. With the steel wheel and 18" tire I am not going to drive that around and even Toyota recommends against using the spare for extended periods of time.

The $20 extra cost I was referring to was a SWAG of Toyota's net cost increase if they had included a 20" tire instead of the 18". I figured the steel wheel would still cost them the same and the slightly larger tire would probably be dirt cheap for them since they buy in huge quantities. Sure, there are other factors and maybe the price difference would have amounted to $100 but I would have been thrilled to pay that much more and get a REAL spare tire which I could rotate and drive on with the others.
    WileETundra

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    I would have preferred a matching spare also, however, if asked whether I would add another $400 to $500 to upgrade the spare like I did the other four wheels (to 20" alloy), I would have said absolutely not.
    If I was offered a 20" alloy wheel with TPMS and same tire then I would have gladly paid the extra $400-$500. I would have also been OK with just a 20" steel wheel and no TPMS but at least the same tire.

If anyone has a stock 20" alloy with TPMS for sale separately then PM me.
    WileETundra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast