How does the tire pressure monitoring system work?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the tire pressure monitoring system work?

dtf
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How does the tire pressure monitoring system work?

Here's what happened: I went out to check the tire pressures and the little valve stem caps (toyota logo one's ) are so cranked down that I needed a pair of pliers to get one off. I go to do the other one and snap the valve stem right off and the tire goes flat. After putting the spare on I can't get the pressure warning light ot go off. Is it because I now have no tire in the spare tire holder or is it because of the steel rim?

BTW the dealer was the last one to touch those caps when they did a rotation at 10,000 miles. They must have cranked them down. I'm going to try and get them to pay to pay for it too.
    Thanks,
    dtf
    2006 Tundra SR5 AC 4X4 (12,987 miles)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

Default Re: How does the tire pressure monitoring system work?

Your TPMS light is on because of the flat tire. There is no sensor in the spare tire. The valve stem is part of the TPMS sensor in the tire and will be replaced as a unit. The TPMS sensor in the tire is battery operated, and the battery can not be replaced...a new sensor must be installed. Not sure if a dead sensor battery will be covered under warranty. Each TPMS sensor is pretty expensive. The TPMS system needs to be reset per the Owners Manual anytime the air pressure is changed in a tire.
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

dtf
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Excellent explanantion Lee. Thanks - are they expensive? I think I am going to push for the dealer to cover it due to the cranked down valve cap that I couldn't get off. We'll see.
    Thanks,
    dtf

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

There is a sensor in the tire itself? I thought that it was just the special valve stems that made the system work and that you could put any tire on the truck as long as you have the sensor valve stem installed.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

I kind of remember seeing on this forum that to replace a sensor cost about $100.00. That seems pretty high to me, but then to replace it means removing the tire from the rim, remounting the tire and then re-balancing the tire...so maybe that price is correct. When you have it replaced, can you give us a report?? Also, try to find out how long the battery is supposed to last and if it is covered under warranty if it fails early.
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

There is a sensor in the tire itself? I thought that it was just the special valve stems that made the system work and that you could put any tire on the truck as long as you have the sensor valve stem installed.
    The sensor/valve stem are one unit. The bottom of the valve stem goes into the sensor. Switching to different wheels might also involve changing sensors because of different angles in the design of the wheels. I got the following from one of the websites: The valve stem cap is made of aluminum and the valve core is nickel-plated to resist corrosion. The end of the stem serves as the sensor’s antenna.

TIP: Do not replace either the cap or the valve with standard parts. This will interfere with the sensor’s ability to transmit.

Here are a couple of websites:
    Schrader-Bridgeport Home - Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (tpms)

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Information

SmarTire patents TPMS sensor installation technology

Tire Pressure Monitor TPMS

Liked
    0 times

I would not blame dealer for overtightening the caps, but for the WRONG caps. As said above the caps are unique on TPMS's. There have been posts about the Toyota dealer assessory caps and other aftermarket ones seizeing due to non compatible metals. On my Tacoma the TPMS stems I removed had the plastic caps and were grey in color, and as most Toyota's have for 20+ years, the caps have an O ring. Since the caps on your truck do say Toyota, and if they were a dealer sold part then you should have some expectation of some help from the selling dealer since these were made to be sold on pre-TPSM equipped vehicles.
    EDIT: some TPMS's use metal caps, but these are plated, and compatible. If one insists upon chrome/stainless a VERY THIN application of anti-seize may help. A friend of mine has the nickel plated Schrader-Bridgeport (NAPA tire hardware) bright finish caps on his Tundra with just a touch of anti-seize and has had no problems, but we don/t live in snow country where the seized caps seem to happen sooner.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dtf View Post
    Are they expensive?
    Here is the price!
    42607-35010 - TPMS Required for ALUMINUM WHEELS Parts and Accessories
    2011 F150 Eco-boost Lariat

Liked
    0 times

[QUOTE=LeeinAZ;693972]Your TPMS light is on because of the flat tire. There is no sensor in the spare tire. QUOTE]
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Do Tundra's only use sensors in 4 tires? The Tacoma's use them in all 5. I guess they can be done either way as I don't think the sensors are actually required until 08, (correct me if i'm wrong) we are still in the phase in period.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

It says in the Owners Manual that there is no sensor in the spare tire. The Toyota TPMS is just a very basic system, as now required by law. Some more sophisticated systems will give the pressure, and some the temperature, in each tire as you are driving down the road. That works better than just a red light on the dash with no indication of which tire has the problem.

dtf
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

LRH - Good call on the metal incompatability issue so I just checked the caps (That I installed, a week after buying the truck, ) and they are not steel - but aluminum - my magnet doesn't have an attraction to them. These caps are on so tight that removing by hand is impossible. I can't believe TPMS are required by law now.
    Thanks,
    dtf

Liked
    0 times

i believe the sensor just goes off if you get a huge decrease in tire pressure. I'm not sure how may PSI would be considered a huge decrease...but there you are.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by LeeinAZ View Post
    It says in the Owners Manual that there is no sensor in the spare tire. The Toyota TPMS is just a very basic system, as now required by law.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

There are still some 2007 vehicles without TPMS, the FJ Cruiser's for one don't have them, and there are a few others as well. It is the law of the land now, but I remember seeing a phase in list a while back and for 05 it was X%, and it increased by a certain % every year untill all vehicles will have them. I do believe 2008 is the first 100% year, with all cars, sport utes, and light trucks up to X? GVWR being equipped.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

So, if your TPMS quits and you don't repair it, are you going to be cited buy the TPMS cops? TPMS is another intrusion by the Government into the private sector. When I first started driving, cars did not have seat belts. When they first came out it was the driver's choice to wear them or not and there was no law saying you had to have or wear them. Now every State in the Union will issue you a citation, not that they are really interested in your life...just the money they can generate from "Violators". The idea behind TPMS is a good idea....just wait and see how long it will be before it becomes another money generating offense.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

When you have to replace your tires do you have to replace the sensors or can they be reused?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.