Tundra Fuel Gauge

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tundra Fuel Gauge

Liked
    0 times

Default Tundra Fuel Gauge

Anyone else notice how fast the fuel gauge moves off of full after you fill up the tank? Every other vehicle I've owned usually stayed on full for a while and then when it finally did start to move, it kept moving at a faster speed. The Tundra's gauge in my truck moves off of full when their is less than 20 miles on the tank of fuel, and then keeps moving at a steady speed the rest of the way down.

Also notice how much more distance there is on the gauge in between 3/4 and 1/2 and 1/4 and 1/2 compared to 3/4 to full and 1/4 to empty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Tundra Fuel Gauge

Actually, I think the fuel gauge is really accurate. I've had vehicles in the past that get 200 miles from full to half and then only 100 miles from half to empty or worse yet only getting 30 miles the last 1/4 of a tank. I actually enjoy having a fuel gauge that seems to be accurate. If you don't like the gauge in the Tundra, just replace it with one from a Chevy. Oh but wait they quit working after a couple years anyway.

07 Black Crewmax 5.7 4X4 FE, BU, CK, DZ, AA, HM, MG, CF, SIRIUS, K&N CAI, SMITTYBILT SIDE STEPS, SMITTYBILT BULL BAR, TRUXXX 3" FRONT 1" REAR LEVELING KIT, BFG 305*65*18's, JBA DUALS, CHROME HANDLES...BLAH..BLAH..BLAH....

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gave_up_my_Bowtie View Post
    Actually, I think the fuel gauge is really accurate. I've had vehicles in the past that get 200 miles from full to half and then only 100 miles from half to empty or worse yet only getting 30 miles the last 1/4 of a tank. I actually enjoy having a fuel gauge that seems to be accurate. If you don't like the gauge in the Tundra, just replace it with one from a Chevy. Oh but wait they quit working after a couple years anyway.
    ... DITTO ... ... Had the same experiences in the past too ..

.. I like the Tundra's gas gauge. ..

SOS

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Hate it have alot of gas below the E

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Isn't that the truth, every truck I have ever owned stayed on full for at least 100 miles I was tripping out when I took delivery of my new Tundra and in 30 miles its was off full. I thought damn this thing sucks the gas but the truth is that it has more gas from 1/2 to E than from F to 1/2. Kinda weird.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Isn't that the truth, every truck I have ever owned stayed on full for at least 100 miles I was tripping out when I took delivery of my new Tundra and in 30 miles its was off full. I thought damn this thing sucks the gas but the truth is that it has more gas from 1/2 to E than from F to 1/2. Kinda weird.
    Exactly! These other guys don't seem to get it.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Yep, it quickly goes from Full to half, then time seems to stand still. It slows right down just above half down to E.

I panicked a bit when I first saw how fast the needle was moving off of Full. I started thinking I'd be filling up every day. But in reality, its not bad at all. I'm getting about 380 Miles to a full tank.
    Last edited by seadragon; 08-04-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

FYI - I happened to be right in front of a gas station the last time my gas light went on..... I decided to fill it up then and there so that I would know how big the "reserve" is...... it took just over 20 gallons topped off.... so I guesstimate that the reserve is 6 gallons.....
    Last edited by shadyskins; 08-04-2007 at 10:25 PM.
    2007 CrewMax SR5 4x4 5.7 Nautical Blue
    My Pictures
    TRD Rear Sway Bar, Pioneer FH-P8000BT w/ Sirius, Carriage Works Black Replacement Grille + Top Insert, Color Matched Sequoia Door Handles, Bench Seat, Dual Headrest DVD, back up camera w/monitor, Nüvi, Line-x, TruXedo Lo Pro QT, Tekonsha P3, debadged, enjoyed since 7/20/2007

Towing - 35 Foot 2011 KZ Spree 321BHS

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
    Yep, it quickly goes from Full to half, then time seems to stand still. It slows right down just above half down to E.

I panicked a bit when I first saw how fast the needle was moving off of Full. I started thinking I'd be filling up every day. But in reality, its not bad at all. I'm getting about 380 Miles to a full tank.
    Yeh it seems I drove forever with the needle stuck at what seems to be about 3/8 of a tank. Goes fast from full to 3/8 and then slows way down. I noticed when I am at about 3/8's of a tank it only took about 13 or so gallons to fill it up. Oh well, I will get used to it.
    2007 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4x4, Silver Sky Metallic, 5.7L, Enkei 18" alloys, BFG Rugged Trail AT 275/65/18, 40/20/40 front bench, cold kit, deck rails, heated/power mirrors, Line-X bed spray, Access Literider Rollup cover, Yaesu ft-7100, Mobile1 5w-20, AVS ventvisors, Power lock/unlock tailgate, Tundra step boards.

Liked
    0 times

Mine stays on full for about 50 miles now. I pack the hell out of the tank though.
    14.181 @ 97.2mph <-best 1/4 run, all stock
    13.924 @ 98.8mph w/ intake & exhaust
    13.294 @ 107.5mph w/ SC & open cutouts
    Future Mods: LTDT Headers, TRD 22' Rims

**TRD Supercharger****Dual 40 Flowmasters w/ turndowns / exhaust cutouts****Volant CAI****Extang Bed Cover**Scangauge II**

Liked
    1 times

When I first drove off from the dealer, I had about 30 miles before I noticed the needle was a good bit under full. I was pissed thinking the dealer had shorted me a full tank.
    It still gets me how unbeleivably fast the needle falls from full.

And so far... I'm still averaging in the mid 17s. Not thrilled.. but in fairness, I havent been able to get a good flat highway run flagged.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Thats funny cuz that was my initial thought as well, they didn't really fill the tank! They did though. I wanna say that between 1/2 and E but closer to half tank I only took like 13 gallons.

Liked
    0 times

The Gauge is very accurate. Same style and functionality as the one on my Supra. Ever notice that the needle doesn't fluctuate up or down when park facing down or up hill. I really hated it when my Hemi, Yukon, and my Navigator did that. It was like a tease showing me more gas in the driveway and a WTF when it showed less after parking it, but then would level out after gettin it back on leveled road.

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 4x2 DC Black w/ Black Interior - RAZO SS Pedal Set - RAZO Type 340R Shift Knob - 3 inch SS Exhaust Tip - Bully 3 inch Chrome Side Steps - Door Sill Protectors - All Hyper-White Lights (including all interior lights)

Liked
    1 times

I had a 98 tacoma before this truck and it did the same thing. Its a toyota thing.
    2007 dc 5.7 4x4 sr5 trd, Radiant red on black w/ TRD exhaust, Doug Thorley short tubes, 3" leveling kit, tinted windows, clear mask, line-x, billet grille, AEM brute force, Alpine, Boston Pro's and Zapco's.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by xtacoman View Post
    I had a 98 tacoma before this truck and it did the same thing. Its a toyota thing.
    A Toyota thing is a Beautiful Thing!

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 4x2 DC Black w/ Black Interior - RAZO SS Pedal Set - RAZO Type 340R Shift Knob - 3 inch SS Exhaust Tip - Bully 3 inch Chrome Side Steps - Door Sill Protectors - All Hyper-White Lights (including all interior lights)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.