Check engine light 2007 Tundra...

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Check engine light 2007 Tundra...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Check engine light 2007 Tundra...

Hey guys I don't post here much but I figured this was interesting.

I just purchase an '07 Tundra Crewmax 3 months ago and currently have a little over 500 miles on it. Yesterday I borrowed my uncle's 16' flatbed trailer to move some things. About 10 minutes into the trip my check engine light came on, the 4 wheel low light started blinking, and also the VSD light came on. Basically the trailer messed stuff up... After troubleshooting, I found other things that were also impacted; I had no reverse lights, the backup camera didn't work, and the transmission was slipping when in reverse.

I was a little worried but when I replaced the "reverse lights" fuse under the dash all was well. I also had to reset the check engine light by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. I found it surprising that 1 small fuse controls so many things, especially the transmission in reverse....

Needless to say I will not be using his trailer again until he gets the wiring fixed. He has a 2004 Dodge Ram and has never had a problem with the trailer. I told him that the Tundra is more sophisticated then the Dodge and doesn't like bad wiring...

Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Check engine light 2007 Tundra...

ok.. I'll bite...
    3 month old truck and only 500 miles?
    Please tell me you dropped a "0".

I am not a "big distance driver", but it only took me 3.5 months to go 5000 (thousand) miles.

BT
    BTIZ, 5.7L SR5 DC, Silver Sky

Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by BTIZ View Post
    ok.. I'll bite...
    3 month old truck and only 500 miles?
    Please tell me you dropped a "0".

I am not a "big distance driver", but it only took me 3.5 months to go 5000 (thousand) miles.

BT
    I only have 1200 miles on mine, purchased in march

Anyways, I'll bet the OP's truck will be ok. I do have to say these new tundras have a lot of electronic technology going on in the drivetrain, which in turn makes them more prone to small issues showing up as larger ones.

I am curious what would make the transmission slip from a blown fuse in the taillight circuit - lack of reverse lights
    2007 Tundra 5.7 4x2 RCSB slate metallic
    2005 Corolla - all stock, cause it's the wifes
    1986 Mustang GT - the stereo is under the hood
    1995 Mercury Villager - the man van

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Yeah man I was wondering the same thing about the tranny slipping with the blown fuse . Try pulling yours to see if it does the same thing...

Damn 5000 miles in 3 months is a lot to me. I'll be lucky to put that on my Tundra in a year. I actually travel around 60 miles to work one way and prefer to drive my Honda Accord. I'd love to drive my Tundra but don't see the point when I can get 22Mpg in the Honda. Believe me the miles will start adding up on the Tundra this fall when hunting season starts.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Re: Check engine light 2007 Tundra...

I had the same problem at 8000 miles the first time I pulled a trailer. At first I thought it was the weight of the trailer a little over 11,000 but the truck had no problem pulling or stopping it. I took it to the dealer and was told it was the fuse that controlled the back up lights that was causing the transmission to slip in reverse. Must be a common problem.

Liked
    0 times

This makes no sense. How can you blame the trailer/trailer wiring if it works fine on his Dodge? IS the wiring a mess that you can see? It would seem to me that there is a Tundra issue rather than the trailer. Did you go to the dealer? Oh and "more sophisticated" come on, yes the vehicle has more "controls" etc than the Dodge, but trailer wiring is trailer wiring!

Zack
    Last edited by Zack1978; 03-04-2008 at 01:03 PM.
    1987 FJ-60
    1979 4x4 pick up, 20R
    2000 Velica GT-s 6spd

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Centre prong on 7 pin connector on the Tundra trailer plug is wired for
    reverse lights. This is new and older trailers do not have reverse/backup lites. The solution is to make sure that centre prong on tailer connector
    is disconnected ie goes nowhere.