Tail gate lock

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tail gate lock

jcp
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Tail gate lock

Is there a way to lock and unlock the tailgate with the remote???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Re: Tail gate lock

only if you use the key attached to the other end of the remote
    2007 CrewMax SR5 4x4 5.7 Nautical Blue
    My Pictures
    TRD Rear Sway Bar, Pioneer FH-P8000BT w/ Sirius, Carriage Works Black Replacement Grille + Top Insert, Color Matched Sequoia Door Handles, Bench Seat, Dual Headrest DVD, back up camera w/monitor, Nüvi, Line-x, TruXedo Lo Pro QT, Tekonsha P3, debadged, enjoyed since 7/20/2007

Towing - 35 Foot 2011 KZ Spree 321BHS

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Someone mentioned on one of the threads about doing an aftermarket keyless entry install on the tailgate. Should be able to find it doing a search.

Stuball

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Yes -- I've done it but haven't had the time to post detailed instructions yet. I've had some questions from other forum members and I will PM you the basics that I also sent to them.

PM sent ------
    Last edited by bruceatlam; 09-27-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

would you send it to me to.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by cwit View Post
    would you send it to me to.

PM sent -------

Liked
    12 times
    Images

Now will you copy the PMs and paste the basics here, pretty please, I wanna be lazy too...

Beer please!
    CBTMA (Member and Founding Father: Est. August 15, 2008)
    Clicky>>> What The Heck is CBTMA
    Unknown - "The biological purpose of pain is to prevent the recurrence of stupidity."

Liked
    0 times

Yes, please post the basics.. I would also be interested in doing this.
    Sold April 2010 <------CrewMax Limited 5.7L, 4X4-Slate Metallic, Graphite Leather, Revtek 3" Lift, Moonroof, Mudguards, Cold Kit, Sonar, Line-X Bedliner, 20" Stock Wheels with Toyo 33/1250-20 M/T Tires, Brushed stainless steel running boards, Door sill protectors, Running Lamps, Husky Liners, Mounted Garmin Nuvi 660, ConsoleVault. Wade Vent Visors, Volant CAI, Snugtop SuperSport, Wet Okole Seat Covers, De-Badged,Skid Plate - FUTURE MODS: PIAA 540 driving lights in place of FogLights. Driving a Prius now..

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Nice instructions lots of thanks.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

OK --- I can copy and paste -- the basics are posted below. Special notes: An "ideal" lock actuator will have a 1" stroke. I made a couple of simple mods to the lock actuator that I bought and got 3/4" stroke out of it -- it works well. The mods are --- remove the rubber boot off the end of the motor. Cut off half of the rubber bushing around the shaft --- that will get you a stroke of 3/4". If you want an Ebay link to the actuator that I bought, I'll be glad to send you a link to a current Ebay auction --- just PM me your E-Mail address. This will work for a DC or CM --- not a regular cab. Reason is that I linked the tailgate lock to unlocking rear doors not the drivers door. The basics are:

Start by buying a 12V door lock actuator -- Ebay -- I bought two of them for $10 shipped to my door -- buy the "blue" ones --- shaped kind of like a kids cap pistol. They're all over Ebay. Ideally, you need a one inch stoke. These have a 3/4" stroke and will work fine.

I used 16 AWG wire -- 18AWG would work too -- buy at any auto parts store and while you're there, get two "quick splices" -- the kind that you wrap around the wire and then slip a second wire in and then just snap closed. You'll need two lengths of wire each about 20 feet.

I set mine up to unlock with the passenger door and the rear doors. I did this on a DCab --- so before we go any further, you do have four doors right.

Assuming that the answer is yes, next tap into the correct wires. You'll want to remove the molding covering the threshold at the passenger door --- it's easy. Open the door --- grab the plastic molding and lift --- just pops out. You should see a wire bundle wrapped in black sheath --- open up the wire bundle and find a dark blue wire and larger of the two grey wires --- those are the ones that you'll tap into. There's only one dark blue wire. There are two grey wires -- a larger one and a smaller one --- you want the larger one of the two. Both wires are 16/18 AWG. If you have any question about the correct wires ---- call me or E-Mail me. After you make the new wire connections, you might want to wire up your actuator and make sure that it works with your lock buttons.

Once you've tapped into the correct wires, I first fished my two new wires back to the rear door, then from under the truck at that right hand rear door, I popped out the closest rubber grommet I could find in the floor pan --- closest to the right rear door. I was able to lift the carpet slightly and push the wires out of the cab through that hole in the floor board. I punched a small hole in the rubber grommet so I could pull the wires through and then pulled the wires completely through the grommet then popped the grommet back in --- caulked the rubber grommet from under the truck.

Fished the wires back to the tail gate and wire tied them up around existing wires to keep them up out of the way. I ran the wires up into the tailgate through an existing hole for the wiring from B. Up camera.

Remove panel on tailgate before you do this obviously so you can pull the wires in ----

If you look at the existing tailgate manual lock -- you'll see that the cam on the lock move in a straight line as you lock and unlock the tailgate with the key. I left all of the existing mechanisms in there and mounted my actuator such that the plunger moves that cam back and forth --- you need about 3/4" movement from lock to unlock.

The actautor that you buy should come with a couple of strips of perforated metal that are to be used to fab a bracket from which to mount the 12V actuator. The actuator should have a fitting with a hole in it on the end of the actuator --- I drilled that out to 1/4" dia so it would fit over the existing nipple on the lock/unlock cam that's a part of your manual locking system.

Make a bracket to secure the lock actuator from --- should work like a champ. Mine has been working for six weeks now --- no issues.

PM me if you have any questions. Obviously, you do this at your own risk --- Once again, it's your truck so make sure you know what you're doing. PM me if you want to and we can talk over the phone to clear up anything that's vague.

Liked
    12 times
    Images

Thanks for posting this...

Beer please!
    CBTMA (Member and Founding Father: Est. August 15, 2008)
    Clicky>>> What The Heck is CBTMA
    Unknown - "The biological purpose of pain is to prevent the recurrence of stupidity."

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mxsjw View Post
    Thanks for posting this...
    My pleasure ----

Liked
    806 times
    Images

Thanks a ton for the info. Excellent write up - and VERY detailed. Not to be a pushy A$$, but do you have any pics ???

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

No picks --- I'll take a couple this weekend and post them. The only two that I can think of that make any sense would be a picture of the actuator mounted in the tailgate and msybe the wiring splices. Any others??

Liked
    403 times

Could you please post some pictures regarding this. I really want to do it and have a pretty good idea, but pictures would be extra amazing.

Thank you.
    -Steve
    2011 Ford F-350 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 6.7 Powerstroke: Truxedo Truxport

"The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.