Transmission Fault Identified?

  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

    Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!
     
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 76

Thread: Transmission Fault Identified?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    palmyra, Va
    Posts
    132
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Transmission Fault Identified?

    Rather than continue on the six speed transmission thread that just closed. I thought I'd try to start a new thread with positive information. Mine is a difficult situation that began with brand new Tundra Double cab with transmission rumble @ 32-35 mph and 1200 rpm under acceleration. Already have one transmission replacement waiting for second round.
    Dealer Service Director calls today to tell me a brand new Transmission is in route. More importantly, they think they have identified problem causing rumble. Toyota is still testing and compiling data using serial number tracking etc. Right now it appears there is an issue with how the torque converter is assembled and held in place in the transmission housing. Toyota has already implemented the change to correct the problem in new production transmissions. Supposedly, the way it is supposed to work, Once a fix is implemented all in stock units that have already been distributed are recalled and blocked from dealer use.
    I am not sure I can express the exact details provided me by the dealer. Suffice to say his explanation made sense and it sounds like my truck will be soon on the road to recovery.
    Most importantly I have rekindled hope and confidence in Toyota's exemplary reliability and fine service.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    OTR
    OTR is offline
    Veteran Member OTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    755
    Liked
    20 times
    Images
    6
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    When did you buy your truck? Build date?

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    176
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    That is great news! Next week I am going to follow up with my dealer and see what they say.
    2007 5.7L Tundra CrewMax Ltd 4x4 in Radiant Red

  5. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Keizer, Oregon
    Posts
    14
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    I am waiting for the dealers out here in Oregon get up to speed. I have contacted two dealers and neither has heard of this problem. Has anyone thought that maybe it is as simple as a bad drive shaft or bad ujoint?

  6. #5
    Veteran Member Stripped Honda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    848
    Liked
    2 times
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    i dont believe anything that comes out of the mouth of a service writer or even a service manager ... they could be just telling you that to make you feel better about your truck ...

  7. #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pocatello, Id
    Posts
    719
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    I think that if it is a wide spread issue Toyota will get it right. They are going to use that tranny in the new Seq. and the land cruiser. With them using it in that many vehicles you can bet it will be right. Good luck with all that has had problems with there trannies and for those who have not. Knock on wood.

  8. #7
    Lurking Member PVTUSMC81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Bern, NC
    Posts
    41
    Liked
    1 times
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    I just had my transmission changed this week because of the "rumble strip" symptom and got her back last night. I originally just called in my problem to my Service Manager since I live 50 miles from the dealer. He called Toyota verifying the symptoms and ordered me a brand new tranny. Never even took it in for them to drive it. Truck is now perfect. It is a major difference than before. Also, it only took them 2 days to change the tranny. I was the first truck they have sold that required the tranny R & R. One thing that I have read on some of the TS transmission threads is some people saying to just drive it and maybe it would go away. I do not agree at all, and frankly I think that advice is ludicrous. It is not just the fact that my truck cost a great deal, but it negates the reason most of us own Toyotas to begin with, QUALITY! Toyota's historical success was fueled by quality, and if we ever subordinate quality for less than those expectations then Toyota will become second rate. Quality also creates customer loyalty. Loyalty = sales. It is classic Demming management theory. Additionally, Toyota has high expectations with this new Tundra, however they are well smart enough to know that to sell trucks to the folks who make a living with their trucks, the power train has got to be right. Not to mention, many of us like myself who bought the 07 may have came out of a prior model Toyota truck so we are part of that loyalty base that has made Toyota great. If they developed a truck that sold to us and the commercial use folks simultaneoulsy sales would rock! I will say looking at the used inventories on the Toyota dealer lots here in NC there are many used HD diesel big three trucks on the lots that were taken in on trade on new 07 Tundras. So if it was me and you have anything wrong, get your truck fixed like you expected it to run when you bought it.
    PVTUSMC81
    2007 Pyrite Mica CM Ltd TRD 4x4

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    palmyra, Va
    Posts
    132
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8
    Thread Starter

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    Well said sir.... Your points hit the nail on the head. I am getting tired of the nay sayers indicating they can't trust the product, the dealers or their representatives in service.
    Toyota earned my loyalty many years ago and has it still today. I am still waiting for my new transmission to show up but am now more anxious than ever to get the job done. So good to hear yet another success story.
    I am curious to know if your service paperwork indicates "REMAN ATM" under description or if it says something different. My dealer claims all replacement transmissions come through the reman program but I have a hard time believing it and have insisted the next replacement be proven "Brand New"
    Thanks again for your post. Enjoy driving your Tundra.

  10. #9
    Lurking Member PVTUSMC81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Bern, NC
    Posts
    41
    Liked
    1 times
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    I will have to check the paperwork, but my SM said it was brand new from factory. With the outstanding customer service I received during this service visit I have nothing but praise for the dealership. I have never had any dealer react and get the ball rolling to just my explanation on the telephone. That was awesome!
    PVTUSMC81
    2007 Pyrite Mica CM Ltd TRD 4x4

  11. #10
    Supporter mc71454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    336
    Liked
    0 times
    Images
    14
    Rep Power
    583

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    Quote Originally Posted by reidsworks View Post
    Rather than continue on the six speed transmission thread that just closed. I thought I'd try to start a new thread with positive information. Mine is a difficult situation that began with brand new Tundra Double cab with transmission rumble @ 32-35 mph and 1200 rpm under acceleration. Already have one transmission replacement waiting for second round.
    Dealer Service Director calls today to tell me a brand new Transmission is in route. More importantly, they think they have identified problem causing rumble. Toyota is still testing and compiling data using serial number tracking etc. Right now it appears there is an issue with how the torque converter is assembled and held in place in the transmission housing. Toyota has already implemented the change to correct the problem in new production transmissions. Supposedly, the way it is supposed to work, Once a fix is implemented all in stock units that have already been distributed are recalled and blocked from dealer use.
    I am not sure I can express the exact details provided me by the dealer. Suffice to say his explanation made sense and it sounds like my truck will be soon on the road to recovery.
    Most importantly I have rekindled hope and confidence in Toyota's exemplary reliability and fine service.

    I have been noticing a rumble on acceleration just the last couple days. I will be checking it out to see what RPM and mph I am when it happens to see if it is consistent at a certain point.

    Thanks for the post...helps with the confidence.
    Tom B.

    2007 - DC TRD 4x4, Slate, 5.7 SR5, Toy-Tech 3", 285/75/18 Toyo's Open Country AT , Bedrug, Truxedo Tonneau, N-Fab Nerfs, Eclipse NAV, MB Quart, RFosgate, etc., Snow-Way, TRD Sway Bar
    1971 Chevy Monte Carlo Street/Strip - 10.31 @ 130
    1970 Chevelle 454 LS6 Power
    1987 Buick T-Type, V6 Turbocharged, Stock

  12. #11
    Supporter slackjaw07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    953
    Liked
    7 times
    Rep Power
    100

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    Quote Originally Posted by reidsworks View Post
    I am curious to know if your service paperwork indicates "REMAN ATM" under description or if it says something different. My dealer claims all replacement transmissions come through the reman program but I have a hard time believing it and have insisted the next replacement be proven "Brand New"
    There may be a remanufactured transmission in their system but it would be so in name only....these assemblies will all be brand new until such time that 1) field returns can support such a program, and 2) we ('07 owners) all get well into the factory warranty period or more likely beyond it.
    2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax SR5 5.7L w/ TRD Package, Blue Streak Metallic/Graphite, FormulaOne Pinnacle Ceramic Tint (30%), auto-dimming mirror, Line-X Bedliner (under the rail), RS3200 alarm/GBS/hood switch, brushed stainless steel running boards, bed extender, door sill protectors, TRD rear sway bar, TRD CAI, Corsa Touring exhaust, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Rostra back-up camera and fixed monitor, sport (color matched) grille, factory accelerator pedal and floormats.

  13. #12
    Junior Member Lizardking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ashland, PA
    Posts
    63
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    What's the rumble strip tranny issue? It like driving down the highway and it feels like you hit the rumble strips?

  14. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    176
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardking View Post
    What's the rumble strip tranny issue? It like driving down the highway and it feels like you hit the rumble strips?
    Do a forum search on "rumble strip"....you will find lots of information
    2007 5.7L Tundra CrewMax Ltd 4x4 in Radiant Red

  15. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    176
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    Quote Originally Posted by PVTUSMC81 View Post
    One thing that I have read on some of the TS transmission threads is some people saying to just drive it and maybe it would go away. I do not agree at all, and frankly I think that advice is ludicrous.
    Problem is...mine did just go away. I am at 3300 miles, and I can not make it rumble, even if I intentionally lug the engine and try to make it happen. Used to happen every time (just about) at 1000 miles....

    Now, I don't know what to do. I hate to have the dealer tear into it (even though the offer of a new tranny is still on the table from Toyota) when it is not happening....on the other hand, if there is something amiss...well, you get the point.
    2007 5.7L Tundra CrewMax Ltd 4x4 in Radiant Red

  16. #15
    Lurking Member PVTUSMC81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Bern, NC
    Posts
    41
    Liked
    1 times
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Transmission Fault Identified?

    Quote Originally Posted by impilot View Post
    Problem is...mine did just go away. I am at 3300 miles, and I can not make it rumble, even if I intentionally lug the engine and try to make it happen. Used to happen every time (just about) at 1000 miles....

    Now, I don't know what to do. I hate to have the dealer tear into it (even though the offer of a new tranny is still on the table from Toyota) when it is not happening....on the other hand, if there is something amiss...well, you get the point.
    Make the best decision you feel is best for you. However, according to the info by reidsworks, in the 1st post of this thread, I am betting Toyota has the cause of the rumble isolated. I was wondering if this may eventually be more widespread and result in a TSB later on?
    PVTUSMC81
    2007 Pyrite Mica CM Ltd TRD 4x4

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •