Thule XSporter for 07 Tundra Crewmax

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thule XSporter for 07 Tundra Crewmax

Liked
    0 times

Default Thule XSporter for 07 Tundra Crewmax

I am thinking about getting a Thule XSporter rack for my new Tundra Crew Max. Does anyone out there have one of these on your truck and if so what are you experiences and suggestions? I am not sure if the 441 (25" height) or 442 (28" height) would be a better fit. It looks like both may clear the roof but the 441 may not clear by much. I was also thinking I may end up with a rack on the roof so having an Xsporter that closely matched the height of the roof mounted crossbar(s) would be a plus. It looks like Thule now has an adapter that lets you mount the rack in the bed rail tracks. I think that this would be beneficial because you could slide them forward when not in use. Are there any other racks that use the bed rail tracks for mounting? I had a Kargo Master on my 99 Tacoma that I really liked but was hoping to get something a little smaller and aluminum for the Tundra. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Thule XSporter for 07 Tundra Crewmax

not what you asked about, but this was my set up in my 06 DC. Plan to do the same in my 07
    07 TUNDRA White Limited DC 4x4 TRD
    Mods: Ready Lift, BFG 305/65/18, 5% tint, TRD shifter, Line X, door sill protectors, UWS toolbox, WeatherTech mats / wind deflectors, LifeLong hitch pin, more to follow

Liked
    0 times

Very cool setup. How did you mount the rack feet in the truck? I bought two of the yakima fork mounts for the bed rails when I bought the truck for my bikes. I need a rack to get above the roof to carry ladders, lumber and kayaks.

PS I noticed you bought the truck at Jim Barkley and that you have a line-x bedliner. Can you recomend an installer in western NC?
    Last edited by trav_t; 10-17-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I am in the market for the Thule as well. Wondering what the actual capacity is for it. I think it says only 450lbs.

Liked
    0 times

I think the capacity goes down to 400 lbs when you use the XK2 adapter to use the bedrails. I can't decide if I should get the 421 or 422. I think Thule recomends the 421 (25" height) but it may bee too low to fit my mountain bike underneath in the bed with the Toyota fork mounts.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I currently own the 421 and want to switch it from my T100 to the "07 Tundra. I am told that I can use the XK2 adapter kit. But not all Tundras come with the bed track system. (ToyotaPartsPeople.com - Genuine Toyota Parts and Toyota Accessories
    I can purchase it for around $150, but now will the smaller 421 rack fit inside the bed? Will it now be inside the bed attached to the rails as opposed to the deck portion of the bed? Sounds like it will intrud on storage and loading of the bed and might look silly. The 421 I imagine is quite smaller considering it fits the top of the bed of my T100. Will the 422 rest on top of the bed rail? I have tried to call Thule, but they can only give basic answers and don't fill me with confidence when the recommend the adapter and I don't have that option. Any thoughts?

Liked
    0 times

I have had a heck of a time finding out which one (421 or 422) will fit the 07 Tundra. Even Thule tech support wasn't able to provide an answer. They recommend the 421 but say it may not work in the low position. I finally bought both racks from a national retailler with a good return policy. I just got the xk2 kit and have not had the time to install the rack yet. It will mount in the same location with the xk2 kit as it would on any other truck. It will still sit on the top of the truck's bed rails (sides), that is what provides the support for the rack. The xk2 kit allows the rack to clamp to the tundra rail tracks instead of the 421's standard bolt clamp that goes up under the bed rails to clamp the rack in place. This makes it alot easier to adjust the rack forward or back. I have a crewmax and it looks like either rack will work in both the up and down positions. That being said, the front bar will have to sit pretty far forwad in the bed when the rack is down to clear the wheel wells in my crewmax. Like I said I haven't actually installed the rack yet but I assembled one of the legs from both racks and checked it in the truck to see that they had clearance in the bed. Either rack should work both up and down. I thought I wanted the taller rack (422) so I could carry a whitewater canoe without it hitting the roof of the truck but it looks like it may stick up pretty far past the roof of the truck, so I may go with the 421 after all. I am hoping to get it installed before the weekend and I will post a reply with how it goes. I could also post some pictures if anyone is interested.

Liked
    0 times

Just an added note. The only difference between the 421 and 422 is the height. The 422 is about 3.5 inches taller than the 421.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by trav_t View Post
    Very cool setup. How did you mount the rack feet in the truck? I bought two of the yakima fork mounts for the bed rails when I bought the truck for my bikes. I need a rack to get above the roof to carry ladders, lumber and kayaks.

PS I noticed you bought the truck at Jim Barkley and that you have a line-x bedliner. Can you recomend an installer in western NC?
    sorry for the delay.
    I drilled and bolted feet to bed. Ensure placement doesn't keep you from reaching place for nut install underneath. I live in ATL and had a local shop do my line-X.
    Also, I am in the roofing business. Try a removeable single sided ladder rack. When not in use only the female tubes remain.
    07 TUNDRA White Limited DC 4x4 TRD
    Mods: Ready Lift, BFG 305/65/18, 5% tint, TRD shifter, Line X, door sill protectors, UWS toolbox, WeatherTech mats / wind deflectors, LifeLong hitch pin, more to follow

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

So the 422 is not wider? I thought that it was just not explained well on the website that they were both 71"

I just took my 421 crosspiece (it looks like a hitching post for a horse) and held it inside the bed of the truck. The two posts sit inside the bed and do not touch the sides (w/the stock bedliner) I'm not at all sure how the towers would even attach unless there was a wider cross piece. Perhaps with the in bed track system and the Thule adapter it could work? Still, I don't think the towers would rest completely on the top of the bed rail. Perhaps I am overthinking and find it hard to believe that this monster truck has the same bed width as the 97 T100!!

Definitely need to see a photo of someone who has done this in the latest Tundra. Please post them for sure when you have it installed. Thule and any of the resellers are clueless.

Liked
    0 times

I have not even fully unpacked mine yet but was under the impression that the vertical supports can be slide in and out along the crossbars so you could accomodate different truck bed widths.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Hmmm, I bought mine when they first hit the market and they came preassembled. I'll need to look at it and see if there is any way to adjust the width. Looks like the instructions indicate you can. I may have solved my own problem. hopefully I won't have to hack up the bed protector like I did on my T100!!! It came with the truck so what can you do?

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by sworxx View Post
    Hmmm, I bought mine when they first hit the market and they came preassembled. I'll need to look at it and see if there is any way to adjust the width. Looks like the instructions indicate you can. I may have solved my own problem. hopefully I won't have to hack up the bed protector like I did on my T100!!! It came with the truck so what can you do?

Any luck getting your rack mounted? All you need to do is remove the vinyl gasket from the bottom of the crossbars, loosen the bolts and slide the vertical legs in or out as needed. Just remember to reinstall the gasket when you are done. I have heard they will howl in the wind without it. I ended up installing the shorter 421 instead of the 422. This allowed me to install my cargo box with the rack in the low position. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see it. Either rack will work on the 07 Crew Max both up and down.

Liked
    2 times

Can you post pics of the rack installed? I have an 01, but am going to get an 09 Tundra, so it needs to fit both and fit a kayak/canoe without hitting the top of the cab....so I'm debating between the 421 and 422.

Liked
    0 times

No problem. I will post some pics ASAP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast