DIY: Add Magnetic Emergency “Door Unlock” Function

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Add Magnetic Emergency “Door Unlock” Function

Liked
    2 times

Default DIY: Add Magnetic Emergency “Door Unlock” Function

DIY: Add Magnetic Emergency “Door Unlock” Function

This simple design will enable you to unlock the driver’s side power door lock on Tundra with the “swipe” of a magnet.

If you have an interest and about $10 to invest please read on and I will try to explain How-To-Do-It.

From time to time I have needed to unlock my vehicle when I didn’t have the key or the remote control handy.

Maybe I was an “air head” and locked the key inside, or I lost the key and needed to get to my cell phone inside my vehicle. I guess there could be any number of reasons why I might want the ability to unlock the doors without having the key or remote handy.

I have installed this system in very vehicle I have ever owned with power door locks.

How It All Works

Tundra Door Unlock Function

The doors on your Tundra are unlocked when a “Momentary Ground” signal is sent to the Main Body ECU.

The Main Body ECU then sends power to the door unlock solenoid and presto, you can get in.

It is really that simple.

Magnetic Unlock Design

Please click on first thumbnail below to view a drawing, which I will describe here in words. (unlock1.jpg)

This design employs a small “reed switch” which you hide in the location of your choice.

This reed switch is nothing more then a small switch sealed inside a glass envelope. There are two small metal fingers (contacts) inside.

These fingers are “close” to each other but they do not touch. This is called the Normally Open position of the switch. These contacts are not mechanically or electrically connected. Think of this as the switch is “Turned OFF”

When a magnet is “swiped” near the reed switch, the two fingers (contacts) inside the glass envelop bend and touch each other. When they make ‘Contact” they are mechanically and electrically connected. Just like any other switch, this one is now “Turned ON”, for a moment.

One side of the reed switch is connected to (tapped into) the “Door Unlock Signal Wire” going to the Tundra’s Main Body ECU. The other side of the reed switch is connected to the Tundra body to supply the needed “Ground”.

The reed switch is hidden behind a plastic body panel/part on the outside of your Tundra. The reed switch is held in place (glued) with clear RTV behind the plastic panel. Think cowl molding by the wipers, or inner wheel well, behind the front grill, behind plastic of front bumper. Pick your plastic poison; there are plenty of plastic locations to mount the reed switch behind.

When you “Swipe” a magnet over the hidden reed switch location it causes the a “Momentary Ground” to be sent to the Main Body ECU which will then do it’s thing to unlock the door.

That’s about all there is to this system.

What You Need

Reed Switch

Don’t bother with Radio Shack, they no longer carry them. You can purchase this online from All Electronics, 2 for $1.00. Here’s a link to the reed switch I have used on all my vehicle for years.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/RSW-27/700350/SMALL_REED_SWITCH,_N.O._.html

Wire

How much wire you will need will depend on where you decide to hide your reed switch.

To help you estimate how much wire you will need, it has to go from the drivers side kick panel inside your cab, to wherever you want to hid the reed switch outside.

Oh heck, just get 20 feet.

I like to use automotive grade Zip Cord wire for things like this. (Two wires physically connected side by side.

Here is a link to purchase the wire I use. 20 feet for $2.60. If you don’t get this, basically any 22 to 28-gauge wire will work.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/WRB-24/825700/24_AWG_RED_BLACK_AUTO_ZIP_CORD_.html

Please see PDF File posted a few down for the entire write-up if you have an interest.

Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unlock1.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	25561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unlock2.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	25562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unlock3.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	25563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unlock4.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	25564  
    Last edited by daless2; 11-07-2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Unable to stop text from being truncated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Re: DIY: Add Magnetic Emergency “Door Unlock” Function

nice mod!!! repped
    Last edited by shadyskins; 11-07-2007 at 12:15 PM.
    2007 CrewMax SR5 4x4 5.7 Nautical Blue
    My Pictures
    TRD Rear Sway Bar, Pioneer FH-P8000BT w/ Sirius, Carriage Works Black Replacement Grille + Top Insert, Color Matched Sequoia Door Handles, Bench Seat, Dual Headrest DVD, back up camera w/monitor, Nüvi, Line-x, TruXedo Lo Pro QT, Tekonsha P3, debadged, enjoyed since 7/20/2007

Towing - 35 Foot 2011 KZ Spree 321BHS

Veteran Member
    Liked
    14 times

no keys, but you carry a magnet?
    Last edited by blackgts2002; 11-07-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Banned
    Liked
    0 times

what continues in next post ?? and where and what color wire is your power lock wire on the truck
    Last edited by trailrider325; 11-07-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Liked
    2 times

Sorry folks,

I have concluded that I am just not smart enough to post a write-up on the TS forum.

After having it truncated 15 times I have decided to take a different approach.

If you click on the thumbnail below, it will pull up PDF file containing the How-To stuff.

Again, my apologies for not being able to post this directly.

Frank
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by daless2; 11-07-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Liked
    0 times

I know of another magnetic door unlock. It called a hide a key, and it is a box that is attached to your truck. Inside that box you hide a key there. About $2 at your local hardware store and a lot less trouble than this option. But this is a cool mod for those of you who have the time and know how.
    2007 5.7L Crewmax Limited 4x2 used for haulin' margarita machines. Need a frozen drink machine in Atlanta go to http://justchillindrinks.com

Liked
    0 times

Will the keyless remote still work?
    My Tundra inspires my students to go to college.

My Tundra Photos

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Alan760 View Post
    Will the keyless remote still work?
    Yes, all door lock and unlock functions still work as designed.

This just adds a fourth means to unlock the drivers door.

Frank

WT
    Liked
    74 times
    Images

I saw something interesting a while back its called taplock atleast this will be more secure than just a magnet to open you car. As someone else said how many people will carry around a magnet in there pocket (remember magnets bad for credit card stripes if you carry one in your wallet). Guess I have been lucky to never lockmyself out of the car since I need keys/fob to lock truck when leaving it.
    TAPLOCK.COM
    Last edited by WT; 11-07-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by WT View Post
    I saw something interesting a while back its called taplock atleast this will be more secure than just a magnet to open you car. As someone else said how many people will carry around a magnet in there pocket (remember magnets bad for credit card stripes if you carry one in your wallet). Guess I have been lucky to never lockmyself out of the car since I need keys/fob to lock truck when leaving it.
    TAPLOCK.COM

Hi WT,

Good point!

I wouldn’t want to carry a magnet around either.

I figure there is more then a little bit of metal on my Tundra (be it so thin), so I keep my magnets stuck there.

I have four magnets, two stuck on my truck frame and one each behind the front and rear bumpers. Kinda out of site, yet accessible if I need to use one.

I am yet to loose a magnet on any of my vehicles, but I do like having the spares.

I am familiar with the Taplock system, and it is very nice. Functionally it does the same this as this design ,unlockes the door without key or remote. Does it this via a tap code / cadence on the windshield. I have no idea what it cost, but I think it is a bit more.

As for security, if you hide the reed switch under any of the plastic parts on the outside of the Tundra who besides you would know it’s there?

Enoy your evening,

Frank

Veteran Member
    Liked
    14 times

Sweet, now the whole internet knows how to unlock your truck. Is it really breaking and entering if you unlocked it legit?

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by blackgts2002 View Post
    Sweet, now the whole internet knows how to unlock your truck. Is it really breaking and entering if you unlocked it legit?

LOL!

I suppose I am just going to have to live with that exposure now!

I think though it would be easier and faster to punch the door lock out with a screwdriver then to find the hidden reed switch.

Hmmmm….. Now where did I hide that pesky little thing?

Oh yea,… I remember now…… You can’t see it but its right …………

Shhhhhhhhhh…..

Don’t tell you idiot!!!!!! (Me bad!)

Have a great night.

Frank
    Last edited by daless2; 11-07-2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: edited to fix typo

WT
    Liked
    74 times
    Images

I think the taplock sell for around 30-40 bucks so not to bad to either.. Guess I go build a large electro magnet and start to walk around some Tundras and see which ones unlock.
    I am by no means knocking your idea and I got to give you props to be the first to do it.

jkd
    Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

My selling dealer's service manager came up with another clever idea. I asked him whether or not a magnetic "hide a key" box would effect our Tundra transponder key because it states in the shop manual not to subject it to electromagnetic fields. He thought a minute and came up with the bright idea of having a lock shop copy your transponder key with an ordinary blank then hiding it in the box. It won't start the truck, but you can unlock the doors.
    http://sports.webshots.com/album/180135797kNEIOu
    2007 LTD DC Blue Streak (her's)
    2007 LTD DC Salsa Red (his)
    '91 F250 5spd diesel with ATS Turbo

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by jkd View Post
    My selling dealer's service manager came up with another clever idea. I asked him whether or not a magnetic "hide a key" box would effect our Tundra transponder key because it states in the shop manual not to subject it to electromagnetic fields. He thought a minute and came up with the bright idea of having a lock shop copy your transponder key with an ordinary blank then hiding it in the box. It won't start the truck, but you can unlock the doors.

That's a good idea! Would provide for an cheap way to unlock the doors if you didn't have the normal key or remote.

As is the plastic key - I had one of those many years ago. Wasn't aware they still made them. Another opertunity for folks to look into.

Thanks for your post guys.

Have a great day,

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast