Crew Max Camper Shell?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crew Max Camper Shell?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Crew Max Camper Shell?

I have a Crew Max 5.7 4x4 and I would like to add a few items that I could not get at time of purchase.
    (1) I'd like to get a camper shell..........has anyone put one on a Crew Max? What did you pay? How does it work with the full rear slider window? Pics would be helpfull?
    (2) Front and rear sonar.......I could not get my truck with that option so I'm wondering if I could add on an aftermarket kit. I have found some shopping online but would like any feed back to help. My main concern is my 2 yr old son.........I always look carefully but I will do anything to increase the safety factor.
    (3) remote start...........I know I can get this added but will I have to carry two key fobs or can a get one that does all functions? What did you pay?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    2 times

Default Re: Crew Max Camper Shell?

Regarding the Camper shell I think the Snug tops look the best and they run right at 2k
    Leer and ARE are also popular brands. There was a post a 2-3 weeks ago that was all about Shells. It was like 5-7 pages long and had a lot of pictures. Run a search on this website and im sure it will come up
    TUNDRA786
    2007 Tundra Crew Max 4.7 TRD 4x4
    285/65/18's with BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's
    BedRug, Undercover, Bed Extender, Husky Liners

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    2 times

Id also check out the Tonnueu fourm on this website. Im sure they will have more info on what your looking for.
    TUNDRA786
    2007 Tundra Crew Max 4.7 TRD 4x4
    285/65/18's with BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's
    BedRug, Undercover, Bed Extender, Husky Liners

Liked
    3 times

Here's a bunch of info on Tundra shells for you, Photos of New Tundras w/ Shells?

Also, check out my gallery for pics of a few Tundras w/shells I took at SEMA a few weeks ago.

SnugTop seems to be the leader in the fiberglass world. If you want something that'll last as long as your truck though, I'd recommend a metal shell. Two different manufacturers of metal shells are mentioned in that thread above as well.
    Insert witty signature here...

Liked
    0 times

I'm in love with the FORD 750 SDX they have in your SEMA gallery.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Well, I have finally decided to go with the Leer 100XQ w/ leer front boot, keyless entry (works off existing key remote), and removable front slider window. I'm paying total price tag of $2,340 from WildThings Truck and Car Accessories-Home Page in Idaho Falls. They are not sure if the boot will fit the 07 Tundra CMax because of the size of the rear window so I got the removable slider to pop in just in case. 2-3 weeks out so I'll let yall know how it goes and post a pic or two when its installed.

Liked
    0 times

I ordered the 100xq for my crewmax about a week ago. I haven't seen any pics of one on a CM yet. Snugtop is not available in my area or I probably would have gone with that.
    08 CM Limited, Readylift 2.4" front lift, Toytec 1" rear blocks, 305/55/20 BFGs, Leer 100XQ topper

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I got 100XQ installed but I still need to take some pics give some details on a couple mods I have completed. The camper looks perfect. Looks like a factory options IMO. Only a couple probs. 1) The front boot provided by Leer does NOT work on the CM with full slider. I had to silicone it to the outside edge of the front camper window to get coverage around the bottom corners of the cab rear window. A bit tricky using tape to hold the whole thing in place while silicone dried but now the camper is back in place and sealed good and I can open the rear slider without leaks. I'll post some pics and tips later this week.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

2nd prob- The installers had originally tied the Leer capers light into the running lights which I found retarded.I just tapped into the brown cargo light wire for the "cargo" light inside my camper. Ran the wire down through the drivers side kick panel, inside the frame and into the bed through the fender to the tail light and made my splice from there to the camper wiring. Now I can control the interior camper light with my factory cargo light switch in the cab and when I unlock the doors with the keyfob the light comes on as well. Works great. I removed the bulb in the origional cargo light and will be replacing the stock Leer light with an LED cluster as soon as it arrives.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

3rd issue- the power lock on the camper which works of the factory keyfob does absolutely no good if the tailgate is not locked as it opens pretty easily with the glass window shut and locked. So, now I need to order on of the tailgate power locks to complete the project.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Well, the camper is on and I have a few pics in my gallery to show it off. Still having some trouble with the front boot seal. Seems nothing wants to stick to that stuff! I may have to abandon that idea and just go with the front manual slider window that I ordered with the shell. I have gotten many complements from friends about how good it looks on the truck. Visually it is a good fit. Next I think I will be going with the bed rug rather than just the rubber bedliner. I'm gettin older and my knees don't need anymore dents in them.

Liked
    0 times

Looks good!
    2007 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4x4 TRD 5.7

|Corsa Sport Exhaust|TRD Intake|Optitrons|Eclipse DVD/GPS|Factory 20's|Rapid Hitch|Headache Rack|Delta Toolbox|

Liked
    0 times

Looks great. Your color match looks great. My pyrite mica 100XQ is being repainted because color was way off (see pics towards end of " Tundras w/ shells" pic thread.)
    How much is the power tailgate lock going to be? I have pretty much the exact same top without the power lock and was thinking about adding so thanks for the heads up about tailgate needing to be locked.
    Also if you fix the boot issues please post because I would love to add a boot also.
    08 CM Limited, Readylift 2.4" front lift, Toytec 1" rear blocks, 305/55/20 BFGs, Leer 100XQ topper

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

$78 from TruckCandy.com. I just dont want to have to walk around my truck with the key checking locks everytime I'm on my way to go hunting with half my life savings in guns and gear in the back and I stop into Wallyworld to buy a weeks worth of beer and slim jims. Just wanna click the button, hear chearps, and know that my stuff is at least locked up. Theives can get it if they want it bad enough........but this way I'm not tempting the honest.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

If any of you are considering Snugtop, then you'll want to follow this thread carefully.

I purchased a Snugtop XV for my new 2007 Crewmax, 4x, Limited, 5.7 at Campways in San Jose. Campways did a great job. I had an 02 Tundra TRD with a Leer cap on it before and both performed flawlessly for over 5 years and well over 100,000 miles. Not a single problem ever. So in my infinite wisdom I decided to buy a Snuggy this time as I have heard such great things about them. Well, I guess things changed...

* Windows leaked from the get-go. Not just the slider seal but the hat section seal where the window frame mounts to the cap.
    * Cap to bed rails seals would leak too at the car wash and certainly with freeway driving on a rainy day.
    * Sliding window seals would come out of their channel if the windows were slid open and very difficult to put back in to the point I would never use the "sliding windows" and screens that I paid extra for.
    * The head liner on the cap's interior looks like a 4 year old installed it. Wrinkles, seams that didn't meet, bulges, bare spots with exposed fiberglass.
    *My second biggest issue with the cap was the fit. I spent over $50k on the my beautiful truck and felt that the cap just detracted from it. It's not that the cap doesn't have nice lines and profile. It is purely a fit and finish, attention to detail issue. For example: The top of the cap was an inch higher than the top of the cab. The sides of the cap skirt where it fit over the bed stick out in excess of 1/2 an inch. More so on the corners. It just became an eyesore. I never had these types of problems with my Leer.

**Now my biggest issue with the Snugtop cap was the flexibility of the cap. With all six bolts fastened properly and tight, the cap would rattle against the bed when driving down a rough road. It rattled so much that it left 2 gouges in the rear corners of my bed through the paint, primer and down to the bare metal. I could open the rear window and lift the cap up in excess of an inch. The bolt face was secure, the cap just had no ridgidity what so ever. I was very willowy and would flex in the lower corners of the cap. I took it back to Campways to have the cap returned to Snugtop for warranty service. When they removed it I could grab the mounting flange of the cap and flex it 45 degrees both ways!!! This would also flex other parts of the cap around the windows. It was like a light-tackle fishing pole. Are these things made out of fiberglass or rubber?!?!?!?

The cap was sent to Snugtop on May 7th. I will ask them to build me a quality cap or refund my money so I can buy a Leer. I will also ask them to repair the damage their cap caused to my paint so I do not have body rust and corrosion issues down the road on my new truck.

If they are able to make good on this unfortunate situation then I will happily write this forum to give Snugtop a good review. If not I will make other recommendations.

-Stay tuned.
    Last edited by FletchRSullivanJr; 05-08-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: grammer

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.