Humming sound - UPDATE - need your thoughts! - Page 8

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Humming sound - UPDATE - need your thoughts!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Humming sound - UPDATE - need your thoughts!

Hi all...new to the forum but wanted to thank everyone for their very informative information and the extensive testing behind it.

It seems that all of the discussion in the thread was around '07 models. Has anyone found this to be a problem in the '08 models? My husband has a 2008 Tundra CM 5.7L 4x4 TRD Pyrite Mica. He intermittently hears this same humming noise described. He has also found it to go away when he switches into 4wd but is back again in 2wd.

Seadragon, if I'm reading your latest comment correctly it seems the TSB was issued in 2008 and the front diff. was updated in June 2008? That being said, our '08 Tundra was built in Feb. 08 and I'm wondering if it has an older problem some front diff. Does anyone know if the TSB also covers '08 models or was it just issued for '07.

Thanks all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Coops0812 View Post
    Hi all...new to the forum but wanted to thank everyone for their very informative information and the extensive testing behind it.

It seems that all of the discussion in the thread was around '07 models. Has anyone found this to be a problem in the '08 models? My husband has a 2008 Tundra CM 5.7L 4x4 TRD Pyrite Mica. He intermittently hears this same humming noise described. He has also found it to go away when he switches into 4wd but is back again in 2wd.

Seadragon, if I'm reading your latest comment correctly it seems the TSB was issued in 2008 and the front diff. was updated in June 2008? That being said, our '08 Tundra was built in Feb. 08 and I'm wondering if it has an older problem some front diff. Does anyone know if the TSB also covers '08 models or was it just issued for '07.

Thanks all.
    Yes, the TSB covers both '07s and '08s. Your truck was built before the revision was made so it will have the older design. From what you are describing, it sounds like this is the problem you are having. The new one in my truck has been very good and makes no noise anymore.

PM me your email address and I can send you a copy of the TSB if you like.

Oh, and welcome to the forum BTW!
    Last edited by seadragon; 01-07-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

From what I've read it seems as if it takes a few thousand miles for this to appear. I will definetly keep an ear out for this. I tried it out on a a few test drives and listened for it and they were smoth as silk. I pick mine up tonight - woohoo!
    08 Tundra DC 5.7 4x4 TRD
    97 F350 460 4x4...aka: Snowman
    09 4Runner 4x4 X-REAS
    04 Kubota L3830 4x4
    06 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

My understanding is that any trucks made around June '08 or later should not have this problem anymore due to the revised front differential now being used.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
    My understanding is that any trucks made around June '08 or later should not have this problem anymore due to the revised front differential now being used.
    yeah mine was built in april 08 so I'll keep an ear out - I also have a copy of the TSB.

Thanks man.
    08 Tundra DC 5.7 4x4 TRD
    97 F350 460 4x4...aka: Snowman
    09 4Runner 4x4 X-REAS
    04 Kubota L3830 4x4
    06 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4

Liked
    2 times

So am I to understand correctly that the TSB is for the wu wu wu sound specifically?? I have the sound but no vibration. Can someone pm me the TSB?

Excellent info here btw, this is what these forums are all about..
    07 Tundra, White
    Regular cab, short bed
    TRD
    www.positivepressurewash.com

Liked
    2 times

you guys are awesome, my truck has developed the exact same symtom which you have all described, i kept thinking that it's me being to picky and the noise has been driving me nuts, i made an appointment to bring it in today and i'm glad that i used the search feature, now i have more back up than i need, it's always frustrating to get anything fix at the dealer, does anyone have the TSB# or copy of it so i can take it into the dealer with me next week? thank you.
    2007 CREWMAX LTD 4X4 5.7, MAGNAFLOW TWIN OUTLET CAT BACK, TRD REAR SWAY BAR, TRD FLAIRS, 22X10 DETATA MOTIVATOR W/ 305/45R22 TIRES. 9" HEAD REST MONITORS.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by trigeek View Post
    ...does anyone have the TSB# or copy of it so i can take it into the dealer with me next week? thank you.
    Hey trigeek,

Just PM me an email address and I can email the TSB to you. It's too big to attach post it here (3.4 MB).

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
    Hey trigeek,

Just PM me an email address and I can email the TSB to you. It's too big to attach post it here (3.4 MB).
    It's not too big to upload...here it is again.

Mine is an early (March) 2007 and I have not had this problem...I wonder if I ever will and if my lift is going to present a problem when it comes to warranty.
    I know all about the MM act, but lifts directly affect the diff.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beer please!
    CBTMA (Member and Founding Father: Est. August 15, 2008)
    Clicky>>> What The Heck is CBTMA
    Unknown - "The biological purpose of pain is to prevent the recurrence of stupidity."

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mxsjw View Post

Mine is an early (March) 2007 and I have not had this problem...I wonder if I ever will and if my lift is going to present a problem when it comes to warranty.
    Your last statement is true, and it might be a pain in the *** argument to make when it comes time, but if the identical problem is present in non-lifted trucks and they redesigned part of the front diff to address the issue, I think they'd have a hell of a burden trying to prove that your lift is the cause.
    Hopefully it won't come to that.
    My '08 CM 4x4 started doing the "wuh wuh wuh" a couple of thousand miles ago. At the 20k service I forgot to mention it, but I did have to take it back for warranty work that they had to order a part for. I mentioned it, but they told me they couldn't reproduce it and that it was my tires after having recently been rotated (at the 20k service).
    I've got to take it in again for CD-changer to be replaced (stopped accepting discs #3 & #4), so I'm going to ride with a tech, take the TSB, and get it fixed.
    2008 Tundra Crew Max Limited 4x4 5.7L
    Sunroof
    Low Range Off Road 3" Lift/Level
    305/55/20 Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10
    Skid Plate Enhancement
    XM
    Anodized Aluminum 'T' Shifter
    Stebel Nautilus 110dB Compact Air Horn
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Springs

Pulling:
    2007 Fleetwood Evolution E3
    Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
    a

Liked
    2 times

I just got my truck back from the dealer (Newburgh Toyota)2 days ago. All fixed with no questions asked. I didn't even have to tell them about the tsb. They were pretty quick about it too.
    07 Tundra, White
    Regular cab, short bed
    TRD
    www.positivepressurewash.com

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mxsjw View Post

Thanks mxsjw.

I could swear I tried before and got a message that the file size was too large. I thought it was TS, but I can't remember. It could have been a different Tundra forum.

Anyway...
    Last edited by seadragon; 01-16-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Liked
    2 times

This is obviously a serious problem that affects a good majority of our trucks, i just call the dealer to check on the availability of the parts, they are on back order with 43 units indefinitely, which is very bad news for me, i'm planning a 2000 mile trip next month, does anyone know what the most catasrophic result would be if it's left the way it is, thanks.
    2007 CREWMAX LTD 4X4 5.7, MAGNAFLOW TWIN OUTLET CAT BACK, TRD REAR SWAY BAR, TRD FLAIRS, 22X10 DETATA MOTIVATOR W/ 305/45R22 TIRES. 9" HEAD REST MONITORS.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I've got an intermittent hum in my '08 2WD Tundra as well.

I just look over and tell my wife to shut up and it usually goes away.

Usually.

Ba dum pump.
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
    2007 Lexus ES350
    2003 Infiniti FX35
    1971 Datsun 240Z
    2005 BMW K1200S
    2003 Ducati 749S

This...is....TUNDRA!!

Liked
    0 times

Awesome!.....my truck has this exact issue and I was worried I'd bring it to the dealer and they wouldn't know what I was talking about.....I feel better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.