5.7 oil filter wrench

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.7 oil filter wrench

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 5.7 oil filter wrench

Hey Guys,
    Toyota tells me that the oil filter wrench for the 5.7 V8 is a special animal that will cost around $25 if/when they can get them.
    What is the story? I was also told that a 65-67mm wrench will work. I sure do not want to break or strip anything.
    Got any feedback?
    Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    30 times
    Images

Default Re: 5.7 oil filter wrench

You can purchase an oil filter end wrench, size 65mm 14 flute from NAPA for $8.99. It is made of a polymer material and works very well.
    Black 2014 Platinum 4x4, seems to have ALL the options, Flowmaster Dual Delta 40's, K&N drop in filter, LineX,4" Tuff Country Suspension lift, Nitto Trail Grapplers 35/12.50/18, Moto Metal M0961's in Chrome 18x9. Fully DeBadged , Stebel horn, TRD Swaybar, Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, 10,000 lb winch, 5000K HID's (all), Production date 8/07
    "CBTMA Member"

Black 2007 D/C Limited 4x4-SOLD
    1997 Chevy Tahoe Sport 4x4 (R.I.P)
    2008 Sequoia Ltd. Slate Metallic (purchased on 3/28/09)

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The MARINES don't have that problem."
    President Ronald Reagan 1985

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by KBagwell View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Toyota tells me that the oil filter wrench for the 5.7 V8 is a special animal that will cost around $25 if/when they can get them.
    What is the story? I was also told that a 65-67mm wrench will work. I sure do not want to break or strip anything.
    Got any feedback?
    Ken
    I would not recommend using the 65/67 combination. Purchase a 65mm, 14 flute wrench, as Rudy suggested. The combination wrench will not fully engage the housing and it will slip.
    SRS
    07 Tundra SR5
    CrewMax 4x4 5.7L

Veteran Member
    Liked
    14 times

Toyota told me... there is your problem.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Liked
    0 times

I bought a 65 and it slipped. I ended up buying one that wraps around it and though it takes more time, it works.

2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited: navigation, rear seat entertainment, cold kit, 20" rims, venture-shield, sonar, line-x, roll-n-lock tonneau cover, Volant CAI, Flowmaster exhaust
    Next mods:
    Alarm with GPS tracking
    TRD Supercharger

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by KBagwell View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Got any feedback?
    Ken
    I bought one, it works great. Stay away from the other china junk!

SST 09228-06500-02

it comes from SPX 65mm 866-640-7305 cast & plated steel
    Last edited by lasstss; 12-12-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Liked
    0 times

I also bought the polymer #5 wench, 67/65 for $5.99. Mine also slipped but after I got the housing off I noticed that there are ridges on the housing that prevent the 65mm portion from engaging all the way. I cut 4 grooves with a 3/8" round file until the wrench goes on without rocking. Works now.

PS after a number of oil changes this wrench sucks. It slips. I bought a metal one and now it gets wedged and stuck on the filter and is very hard to remove. I need a better one.
    Last edited by KXcam; 01-03-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: revised opinion
    5.7L 4WD CrewMax, Silver Sky, TRD, Remote Starter, Sill Plates X4, Color Matched LineX.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

After doing some research on the web I went out and bought a 65-67mm 14 flute aluminum oil filter wrench from Lordco Autoparts. Junk. Bought a 65mm 14 flute oil filter wrench from the local auto parts store. Junk. Had them order in the KD Tools 65mm 14 flute oil filter wrench that almost everyone on the net recommends for the new 5.7 and it fits like a glove. The multi size wrenches slip and the cheap chinese crap doesn't fit properly. Do yourself a favour and buy the KD Tools part # 3253 for a couple extra bucks, you won't regret it.

Liked
    0 times

Don't buy the plastic one. I have one and it just spins no matter how hard you push. Get a metal one!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

No one local has the KD3253 wrench, but I found it the cheapest with shipping here Pelican Parts.com - 65mm End Cap Oil Filter Wrench It was $13.00 to Callahan, FL. Happy Holidays

Just got it in the mail on 03 January. Fast shipping. Take care.
    Last edited by MissileTech; 01-04-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Just Another Day In Paradise!

Supporter
    Liked
    2 times

my metal one slipped so i cut 6 groves into it and put a radiator clamp around it. it worked fine then!

Liked
    0 times

I tried the Advance Auto version but it would slip. Ended up with the high dollar one from Toyota, it does not slip at all. This whole process to change oil is insane. Never thought I would say this but Ford does a much better job by putting the filter right on top of the engine (diesel).
    Kirk

2007 Black 5.7 DC 4 x 4
    Dual Borla Exhaust

Liked
    53 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Man 2007 View Post
    I tried the Advance Auto version but it would slip. Ended up with the high dollar one from Toyota, it does not slip at all. This whole process to change oil is insane. Never thought I would say this but Ford does a much better job by putting the filter right on top of the engine (diesel).
    The Tacoma has the filter on top, so it's not that Toyota doesn't know how to do it.

As for the wrench, buy the $3 64/65 mm 14 flute wrench from Walmart!

Liked
    0 times

Angry Re: 5.7 oil filter wrench

Quote Originally Posted by RONE View Post
    The Tacoma has the filter on top, so it's not that Toyota doesn't know how to do it.

As for the wrench, buy the $3 64/65 mm 14 flute wrench from Walmart!
    That makes it even worse, it seems to me Toyota went out of their way to make this the hardest oil change on earth. I have owned and changed oil on probably 15 different cars/trucks in my life and nothing compares with the Tundra.
    Kirk

2007 Black 5.7 DC 4 x 4
    Dual Borla Exhaust

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.