Need a front end alignment. need help. how much should i pay?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a front end alignment. need help. how much should i pay?

Liked
    2 times

Default Need a front end alignment. need help. how much should i pay?

hit black ice today and slid into a gnarly ditch. almost rolled the truck but saved it, but in doing so i messed up my front end alignment. i am new to paying for repairs on my vehicle as i am only 18, but how much is too much, what can i expect, should i go to a dealership or to a shop?

any and all help is very much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times

Default Re: Need a front end alignment. need help. how much should i pay?

Quote Originally Posted by rockstate45 View Post
    Well what kind of ditch did you hit? Was it just like a bump that messed with your camber and caster or do you think it messed with your geometry?

I'd say it might save a few bucks if you took it to a tire store but maybe you could get an appraisal to see if there was any other damage?

Oh, and when I get my tires aligned on my Expy it was about $60 at the Goodyear store.

Glad to hear you saved your truck though! The cost of getting an alignment sure beats the deductable and cost of a new truck!

-rockstate
    the rear fender was popped in a little bit and the exhaust pipe has a dent at the exit, which is now an excuse for me to buy a new tip from sparks. i also got alot of mud in the rear passenger side calliper but took it to the self washing places with the power washer hose and cleaned it all out does not looked damaged, and the rear fender popped right back out.

as for the front, all i know is that i have to hold the wheel about 5-10 degrees to the left to keep the truck straight. i turned toward the ditch as i went in that was probably a sloping 2-3' down. but thankfully i turned towards it, cause if i had not, i am sure the axle could of been yanked out or rolled or something. any more advice?

Liked
    0 times

Depending on where you live, and where you go, you can expect to pay between $60 and $120 for an alignment if nothing is damaged.
    Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; 01-22-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

I think you should have your truck inspected for hidden damage. Maybe you can get your Toyota dealer to do it for you. It sounds to me like you may have more wrong with your truck than just a simple alignment will fix. If the steering wheel is now that far off, I think something got bent. If the cost of repair is going to run into big bucks, maybe you should contact your insurance company.
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by LeeinAZ View Post
    I think you should have your truck inspected for hidden damage. Maybe you can get your Toyota dealer to do it for you. It sounds to me like you may have more wrong with your truck than just a simple alignment will fix. If the steering wheel is now that far off, I think something got bent. If the cost of repair is going to run into big bucks, maybe you should contact your insurance company.
    i really hope that is not true. i was just doing some research and found that maybe a steering alignment will help solve the problem .

Liked
    2 times

I agree with the above post. Take you truck to the dealer and explain what happend and let them diagnose the problem Something may be bent or loose. If the estimate for repair exceeds your insurance deductable then I would file a claim with your insurance company.

If the dealer says all you need is an alignment, then just pay whatever they charge and be happy thats all it is. I would not go to a tire shop. This is definetly grounds for a dealer visit.

Good luck!
    07 Tundra, White
    Regular cab, short bed
    TRD
    www.positivepressurewash.com

Liked
    53 times
    Images

I totally agree with Lee and green. It's worth paying 70 or 80 for the alignment at the dealer vs 50 or 60 elsewhere because you might need more than just an alignment.

My car was in a minor accident, still drove fine, but ended up needing $3K worth of suspension and frame work to drive straight again. Hopefully yours will just be an alignment, but don't be surprised if it ends up needing a few parts.
    07 DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7 TRD exhaust, 85K miles. Truxedo Lo-Pro with deck rails. Front Susp: Stock coilovers, 4" lift (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...6-4-inch-lift/), swapped extra spacers for Bilstein 5100s on lowest setting, wheel well height still 41.5." Rear Susp: ProComp ES3000 #326510 (2.25" taller than stock), 1.25" blocks plus PRG mini-pack (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...and-new-truck/) gives 2.25" total lift, parking brake cable bracket spacers, wheel well height 43." Front diff and rear ds drop; trailer hitch electrical harness tucked up above bumper. After 21K miles swapped 305/65/18 BFG AT for 285/75/18 Toyo AT, still on stock 18x8x60 offset TRD wheels, about 1/8" clearance to sway bar. Like the extra height but miss the width. Added 5th 285/75/18 Toyo AT as spare. 75K went to new 285/75/18 Toyo AT II. Bed Bounce: Stiffer E-tires are worse than stock P-metric; biggest improvement from PRG mini-pack, slight improvement from shocks. Still a stiff ride but tolerable now. Best things about this truck: 5.7 and transmission, interior size and comfort, very quiet at high speed. Worst things about this truck: bed bounce, no VSC in 4wd, mileage sucks above 70. SOLD 8/2013

Liked
    0 times

at discount tire it is 150 for a life tyme alignment

OTR
    Liked
    20 times
    Images

Firestone also offers a lifetime alignment for around 150 also. Can't go wrong with IMO, if you don't like it take it back.

Liked
    0 times

I bought the firestone lifetime alignment for $130. It paid for itself on my last truck, and I'm sure it will on this one too. 4 wheeling takes its toll, and its nice to be able to take it in whenever you want.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

In my mind the reason you need to have it inspected by the dealer is because if they say "it needs XYZ" and say it's $1k, say OK, file a claim with your ins. Then the ins co will ask for estimates (I'd assume they would anyways) tell them you only want a Toyota dealer to work on it. Have the dealer estimate it, then have them repair it. It's all documented and if a vibration or shimmy or something right after it's repaired you can keep taking it back to the dealer until it's repaired to your satisfaction.
    08 Tundra DC 5.7 4x4 TRD
    97 F350 460 4x4...aka: Snowman
    09 4Runner 4x4 X-REAS
    04 Kubota L3830 4x4
    06 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4

Supercharged Member FIVEPOINTSEVEN's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Images

If I were you I would do my own visual inspection first. Look at the side that took the impact with the ditch and look at the tire, sway bar, tie rod, etc to see if anything looks broken, bent, etc. Compare the impacted side with the other side and make sure everything looks the same. You can even stand directly in front of the truck and look very closely and compare the alignment of the tires. If something was really wrong it would be pretty obvious. One wheel could be noticeably angled the wrong way, etc. Also listen very closely for noises while driving around. I myself would try to diagnose what the problem was before taking it in to a local shop or stealership. Have a good one.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by remotemonkey View Post
    hit black ice today and slid into a gnarly ditch. almost rolled the truck but saved it, but in doing so i messed up my front end alignment. i am new to paying for repairs on my vehicle as i am only 18, but how much is too much, what can i expect, should i go to a dealership or to a shop?

any and all help is very much appreciated.
    did wheels take any kinda direct impact resulting as in like hitting a brick wall? if so it is possible ya bent the front strut and any alignment tech should be able to diagnose and fix, but find one that knows what he is doing as in non rookie!!
    i paid 69 buck at Toyota not long ago for alignment but that was on a 93 PU but i think the Tundra should be the same!
    Last edited by HOGWILD; 01-26-2008 at 06:25 PM.

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    454 times

Quote Originally Posted by remotemonkey View Post
    the rear fender was popped in a little bit and the exhaust pipe has a dent at the exit, which is now an excuse for me to buy a new tip from sparks. i also got alot of mud in the rear passenger side calliper but took it to the self washing places with the power washer hose and cleaned it all out does not looked damaged, and the rear fender popped right back out.

as for the front, all i know is that i have to hold the wheel about 5-10 degrees to the left to keep the truck straight. i turned toward the ditch as i went in that was probably a sloping 2-3' down. but thankfully i turned towards it, cause if i had not, i am sure the axle could of been yanked out or rolled or something. any more advice?
    From that description, I suspect damage in the rear axle area. Specifically, the axle "skewed", meaning it is no longer perpendicular to the longitudinal centerline of the vehicle. Let's look at the details, shall we?

Your truck has what is called a "live axle", meaning it is not an independent rear suspension. So, we can approximate what is called the "thrust line" as a line beginning at the center of the rear axle, pointing forward, and perpendicular to the axle. What is significant here is that this line, the thrust line, is the line down which the center of the rear axle will roll when the vehicle rolls along in a straight line.

After the skid, you have to hold your steering wheel significantly to the left to be able to roll along in a straight line. That is consistent with my suspicion that the rear axle is skewed such that the thrust line now points to the left a bit instead of pointing straight forward along the centerline of the vehicle.

Now, how to check it, right?

Measure the alignment. We are interested in two number reported by the alignment machine: 1) front total toe; and, 2) rear thrust angle.

If front total toe is correct, then likely nothing was bent in the front end. If, in addition, rear thrust angle is negative by a significant amount, then the rear axle was skewed.

The damage could be bent spring mounts, bent frame, or (most likely) the axle has shifted on the springs.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

For future "maintenance" related things, tire rotation, oil changes, brakes, etc. keep an eye on your local mailed flyers, papers and those val-pacs for coupons. I also got on the email list for the local Toyota dealer. They often give some pretty good deals to get you in and inspect for other opportunities to "help", i.e. lighten your wallet.
    Goodyear, Firestone, Discount Tire, your local dealer are all sources for coupons.
    18 is a tough time to own such a vehicle, but koodos to you for choosing such a great vehicle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.