08 tundra backup camera use in motion

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08 tundra backup camera use in motion

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default 08 tundra backup camera use in motion

does anyone know how to set a switch so i can use my backup camera to check the load and hitch, while moving forward? any help woould be appreciated, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Smile Re: 08 tundra backup camera use in motion

You would have to feed a 12v power source to the monitor line. It is the green line located behind the plastic cover along the driver side window pillar. You CANNOT just put 12v on it, the computer will think that you are in reverse while your in forward, and the check engine, 4 wheel, and reverse lights in the back and the inside will light up like a Christmas tree; NOT GOOD. You will have to solder in 2 general purpose diode(1N4003) from Radio Shack. You will have to cut the green wire and and solder the two cathode end(the side with the strip) to the lead that goes up to the monitor. Now one side of the diode, you would have to solder the other end of the green line to it (it is the power source when you put it in reverse). The other end of the other diode is where you solder the other power source(grey wire in picture) from your switch (where ever you desire it to be). I put mine next to the TOW button and got my 12v from the cig. lighter. I posted a picture to help. If picture don't come out, just check my photo gallery. If you did it right then you can have the switch on anytime you like, even when it already in reverse. I like it on when I'm towing my boat, also help when you hitching up, cause if you misjudged and put in forward, the camera is useless. This way you can see it in forward or reverse. Hope this will help out.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 08 tundra backup camera use in motion

will this work even in my limited tubdra. I have the in dash nav. Will this work with it?

Liked
    4 times

i did it with my aftermarket nav and i just used a SPDT rocker switch, center contact went to monitor - the two power came from reverse light and switched ignition....works like a champ

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

how would i install one? because the nav and the camera use the same screen. thanks

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by tundra-holic View Post
    how would i install one? because the nav and the camera use the same screen. thanks
    yeah so does mine...not sure how yours is set up...but on mine, find the reverse sensing wire, dike it, that will be the center contact..on the other side of the spdt switch will be your two power inputs...the one from the reverse and another one you wire up to a swiched ignition source....i leave the switch down (normal sys op) works as soon as you put into reverse, if i wanna see whats going on behind me, i flip it up---instant camera

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Question Re: 08 tundra backup camera use in motion

Quote Originally Posted by ccscorpion200 View Post
    You would have to feed a 12v power source to the monitor line. It is the green line located behind the plastic cover along the driver side window pillar. You CANNOT just put 12v on it, the computer will think that you are in reverse while your in forward, and the check engine, 4 wheel, and reverse lights in the back and the inside will light up like a Christmas tree; NOT GOOD. You will have to solder in 2 general purpose diode(1N4003) from Radio Shack. You will have to cut the green wire and and solder the two cathode end(the side with the strip) to the lead that goes up to the monitor. Now one side of the diode, you would have to solder the other end of the green line to it (it is the power source when you put it in reverse). The other end of the other diode is where you solder the other power source(grey wire in picture) from your switch (where ever you desire it to be). I put mine next to the TOW button and got my 12v from the cig. lighter. I posted a picture to help. If picture don't come out, just check my photo gallery. If you did it right then you can have the switch on anytime you like, even when it already in reverse. I like it on when I'm towing my boat, also help when you hitching up, cause if you misjudged and put in forward, the camera is useless. This way you can see it in forward or reverse. Hope this will help out.
    Hi, I just installed the OEM camera & Monitor, bought on ebay for $506, how easy was it to get to the reverse sensing wire in the door pillar? Also what type switch did you use? Thanks nice pics.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by 2007dctundra4x4 View Post
    i did it with my aftermarket nav and i just used a SPDT rocker switch, center contact went to monitor - the two power came from reverse light and switched ignition....works like a champ
    Ditto on my JVC KW-AVX810. Its kind of like riding a roller coaster when you're going down the road looking back.
    5.7 Crewmax SR5 4x4 Silver Sky Metallic
    TRD Wheels
    Undercover Hard Tonneau
    Carriage Works Polished Billet Grill
    Spray in Liner
    Westin Tube Steps
    KC 35w Amber Fog Lamps
    Weathertech Visors
    Sirius Satellite
    Flowmaster 50 SUV Dumped
    JVC KW-AVX810 Head
    Kicker 12" Sub
    Boston Acoustic Speakers
    Boyo Rear Camera
    Extreme Amp
    Putco LED Dome Lights
    Chrome Door Handles
    60" Fire and Ice rear LED lights
    Recon 62" Side Running Lights
    Viper 5701 LE Alarm and Remote Start
    (all sensors except proximity)
    Truxxx 3/1 Lift
    Xenon H11 8000K HID Lights

** Sunroof being added soon

Liked
    0 times

Anyone else try ccscorpion200's mod?

I want the camera on also and want to try this mod, but I would like to know how easy it is to do first...
    2007 Tundra DC SR5 Slate TRD 5.7 4X4 JBL/bluetooth B/U Cam.

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RisingSun View Post
    Ditto on my JVC KW-AVX810. Its kind of like riding a roller coaster when you're going down the road looking back.
    u think thats odd...i hate to even mention a buddy of mine and i tried this but when we first got our digital camera systems in our patrol cars- they have a small monitor mounted on the ceiling- gotta be like a 5 in LCD or whatever, anyway, closed course of course, it is like a huge video game if you watch the screen while driving around....sense of depth perception, speed, all that is out the window. feels like a huge video game.

Liked
    0 times

thanks to ccscorp. for his help. I finally got the camera Hooked up to a switch now I can turn the montior on anytime I want (a real essential option IMO).

Thanks again.
    2007 Tundra DC SR5 Slate TRD 5.7 4X4 JBL/bluetooth B/U Cam.

Banned
    Liked
    0 times

Anyone thought of adding a momentary switch to the overhead console behind the flip down monitor. flipping the monitor down would activate the display regardless as to the direction of travel. simply fold it up when you want to turn the display off. seems like perfect sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by needatundra View Post
    thanks to ccscorp. for his help. I finally got the camera Hooked up to a switch now I can turn the montior on anytime I want (a real essential option IMO).

Thanks again.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ponyuk View Post
    Anyone thought of adding a momentary switch to the overhead console behind the flip down monitor. flipping the monitor down would activate the display regardless as to the direction of travel. simply fold it up when you want to turn the display off. seems like perfect sense to me.

Working on that this week will update

Banned
    Liked
    0 times

I am looking forward to your write up. I just ordered a couple of diodes and a "through the hole" microswitch. I intend to drill a tiny whole behind the monitor and just allow the switch lever to protrude through it. It shouldn't be under any real stress, so I'm just going to hot-glue the switch in place.
    It will be next weekend before I have the parts in hand to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro66 View Post
    Working on that this week will update
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.