Fuel tank overfill

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank overfill

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Fuel tank overfill

When I bought my CrewMax the salesman cautioned me about not overfilling the fuel tank by squeezing the last few drops that I could get out of the pump. He said that this would cause raw fuel to enter the fuel charcoal cannister and this would cause the vehicle to fail emission control testing. This sounds a little far out to me. Has anyone heard of this before or had any experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Fuel tank overfill

i dont listen that so I recently overfill mine and smell gas
    2008 Tundra 5.7 SR5 RCLB
    Borla dual cat-back
    Airaid intake
    Boss 331 black 22" wheels
    Pirelli Scorpion 302/45zr22
    TRD rear sway bar
    TRD chrome pedal

Liked
    14 times
    Images

It's true, it was mentioned in another thread. Let me see if I can find it.
    2007 Crewmax 4x4 Limited - Silver, 2.5" OME Front Lift w/Toytec 1" Diff Drop, 1" Toytec Block rear w/Bilstein 5100 shocks, 18" Ultra Grinder Wheels, 285/70/R18 Toyo Open Country M/T, Line-X Bed Liner, Undercover Tonneau (Only in winter), Weathertech Floor Liners, Back-up Cam (Toyota/Rostra), 2008 JBL NAV, IPOD Adapter, Console Vault
    CBTMA Member

Liked
    806 times
    Images

I just had to have that cannister replaced in my Camry.
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

Liked
    0 times

I think this is true for most new cars these days.

We have a Subaru Outback ('02) and I recall when we bought it that they made a point of telling her/us never to "top off" the tank.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

I've always heard that clicking the nozzle over and over to get the last drop in the tank could damage emission components. When the nozzle shuts off the first time, I call it good.
    '07 RCSB 5.7L SR5 Silver Sky Metallic (The Silver Bullet) Yep....it's gotta HEMI

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!

jkd
    Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

He said that this would cause raw fuel to enter the fuel charcoal cannister and this would cause the vehicle to fail emission control testing. This sounds a little far out to me. Has anyone heard of this before or had any experience with this?
    I've read it in shop manuals, etc, for at least 20 years, nothing new, and it's true.
    http://sports.webshots.com/album/180135797kNEIOu
    2007 LTD DC Blue Streak (her's)
    2007 LTD DC Salsa Red (his)
    '91 F250 5spd diesel with ATS Turbo

Liked
    0 times

Let me get this straight, there is a filter in the gas tank that is harmed by gas? Isn't that, I don't know..............stupid.
    Kirk

2007 Black 5.7 DC 4 x 4
    Dual Borla Exhaust

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Man 2007 View Post
    Let me get this straight, there is a filter in the gas tank that is harmed by gas? Isn't that, I don't know..............stupid.

I think it is meant to capture the fumes as they exit the tank and recirculates them The actual contact with gas, something that it was never meant to be touched by, causes the issues.

Not that that doesn't make sense as to why you would install something that is destroyed by gas so close to gas.
    Last edited by crankytexan; 02-07-2008 at 04:55 PM.

jkd
    Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

It's not stupid or in the tank. If you do some searches you can probably find where they're located and what their function is. They've been standard equipment on gas engines since the mid '80's at least. The canister controls gas vapors, but filling it with raw gasoline ruins it---big difference in the two.
    Last edited by jkd; 02-07-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    http://sports.webshots.com/album/180135797kNEIOu
    2007 LTD DC Blue Streak (her's)
    2007 LTD DC Salsa Red (his)
    '91 F250 5spd diesel with ATS Turbo

Liked
    0 times

I'll add another one to the heap - it is well known not to fill the tank like that. And like jkd said - it is not stupid or in the tank LOL! Salesman was telling you something you should know anyways. Plus when you do that you are more likely to spill it on the ground and pollute.
    2007 Tundra DC TRD 4x4
    Pyrite Mica
    Bucket Seats
    Cold Kit
    Deck Rails
    Tow Mirrors
    Door sill protectors

Liked
    4 times

I frequently fill my tank to where there is literal fuel above the tube flap (extended running for long trips)topped off deluxe if you will.
    I haven't had a single issue with throwing codes or anything ......

The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so
    - Mark Twain

Don't argue with an insomniac. Frankenstein's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times

Maybe so, but mine is showing the check engine light right now, and has been for the last week or so. I might have overfilled it before this happened. I went to the dealer today but they were too busy, said I could go by in the morning. What fun.
    [Frankenstein's Monster]
    Proud Member CBTMA

Radiant Red

2007 Double Cab Limited w/Graphite Leather Interior
    Factory Nav, Sonar, and 10 spkr 440W JBL stereo with Sirius (sweet)

Cold Weather Pkg and Block Heater. Brushed SS Stepboards, TS Sticker
    Tires: BFG All Terrain T/A KO LT265 65 R 18, Diamondback SE Tonneau Cover.
    Curt Front Receiver, custom 8" extension, & Warn 8000lb receiver mount winch back or front,

Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller DSP 16,000 lb 5th wheel hitch Firestone Ride Rite 2445 Air Bags & TRD Rear Sway Bar (Best, Cheapest Mod!)

Liked
    0 times

its true. i have replaced may charcoal canister on camrys because people keep on clicking more gas into their gas tank. it will fail your emission because the check engine light will come on for an evap. code.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Yup its true. The charcoal canister on my 4Runner needed to be replaced before because I always topped off. It happens because when you over-fill and the fuel system gets pressurized the gas will flow up the fill neck and spill over into some vent holes on either side inside the fill port. These are vent holes that lead to the charcoal cansiter hence it fills with gas and eventually ceases to function. The emissions control will then cause a check engine light, and the code displayed will indeed be for the emissions control error. It look nearly 18 months of topping off to finally do mine in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.