Headlight Armor tinted protective film...

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Armor tinted protective film...

Supercharged Member FIVEPOINTSEVEN's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Images

Default Headlight Armor tinted protective film...

Just was doing some searching around for Tundra products tonight and found this pretty cool headlight film for the 07/08 Tundras. Looks like you can pick from HID blue tint, yellow, smoke, dark smoke, clear etc. Protects the lenses and looks pretty sweet at the same time. Not a bad price either. Check it out and let me know what you guys think...I was thinking of doing the "black headlight mod" but might entertain the smoke or yellow tinted films instead. Hmmm

07 Tundra Headlight & Fog Light Protection Kit - MA-TY023C-

Here's a link to some testing they did with different color films and how they change the headlight appearance with lights on:
    Headlights at Night

Here's some pics from their site:

300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Default Re: Headlight Armor tinted protective film...

this stuff has been around for a while...never really seems to catch on, that is probally a good thing. the yellow is horrible, look at teh Z, it looks like the headlights are about 30 years old and discolored...never knew why anyone wanted lights more yellow than old dingy lights anyway

Liked
    0 times

Judging from the night photos posted on that site, I wouldn't add this product to my truck. I like my headlights to be a nice brilliant bright white, as bright as possible. A tinted look to the lens during the day would be nice but not at the expense of the light. The yellow tinted light looks terrible, as if you were stoned or wearing really cheap sunglasses from the 70s, and the light from the smoke and blue films wasn't much better.

I would say to go with the clear film if you want to protect your headlights, or go ahead and do the black mod by baking them in an oven. I am considering that myself but I am worried that the baking process will weaken the strength and durability of the headlight housing, and maybe allow water or fog to get in eventually.
    WileETundra

view all of my 2007 Tundra mod reports and photos

Note: I receive many messages about the NAV Speed Pulse Generator so I continue to build them for people on request. If you want one then just PM me via this forum and include your email address.

Liked
    6 times
    Images

I guess the yellow is said to make objects in rough weather more visible...Not supposed to reflect as much off rain and fog as standard halogen or HID lights. Many euro style cars have these yellow tinted headlights or yellow halogen or HID bulbs. Certain model Lexus IS300 sedans came with yellow halogen fogs from the factory for the reasons I mentioned above. As for appearance its just whatever you like. I think yellow looks cool for the "euro" look.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Guess nobody cares about this stuff lol. I thought it was cool.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp

Liked
    119 times
    Images

I have actually been checking in to the use of LaminX or Expel; WXMOTORSPORTS is a dealer who I have PM'd with about getting the headlights and taillights smoked. Barberdan smoked his with film. Check out this thread, Anyone with Lamin-X or Xpel light covers?
    I don't feel comfortable doing the baking mod myself.

TigerKing

Driving A Dream!
    Slate Metallic SR5 4X2 5.7 Crewmax/15% tinted windows/ navigation/back-up camera/JBL System w-Sub/ steering wheel audio controls/Bluetooth/LineX/bed extender/Weathertechs/bucket seats/moonroof/ VIPER 5900/fully debadged/AVS Visors/Tundra Sills/Uncle Mike's Paddle Holster Mount/UnderCover/Carriage Works Polished Grille 5-Piece/PUTCO Pedals/Sport Shifter/ Smoked Headlights-Taillights-3rd Brake Light/ Tinted PIAA Fog Lights/22" Color Matched KMC 652Wheels/ 305-45-22 General Grabbers/Borla Dual Split Rear Exit 2 in and 2 Out Exhaust/Billet 14" Antenna/ Rear Sway Bar/VLEDS in Cab,Cargo/painted TRD CAI and engine cover/AutoDimming Mirror/Headrest DVD Players/Magnetic Gun Mount/Doug Thorley Long Tubes/URD Rear Sim/Stebel Big Daddy Horn/TR Lowering Kit 2051/TRDSPARKS Fender Flares/Plasma Glow LED Kits Under and Wheel Wells/Color Matched Mirror Caps *Clazzios To Come

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tigerking View Post
    I have actually been checking in to the use of LaminX or Expel; WXMOTORSPORTS is a dealer who I have PM'd with about getting the headlights and taillights smoked. Barberdan smoked his with film. Check out this thread, Anyone with Lamin-X or Xpel light covers?
    I don't feel comfortable doing the baking mod myself.

TigerKing
    Cool. Yea I would like to smoke my headlights and tail lights but it is actually against the law in FL and I'm not sure if I want a ticket for something so silly. Probably just end up doing the black headlight mod because it is not illegal as it does not change the visibility or appearance of you primary lights.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp

Liked
    119 times
    Images

There are companies that actually sell different tints of smoke such as 50%, 30%, 15%, etc. Barberdan is the one who gave me some info in a PM. Here it is copied and pasted: "It's been 2 months since I smoked the headlights, foglights, third brake light, and taillights and no trouble with the law. At night it looks stock and if you want you can run the headlights during the day without offsetting the smoked look completely. I bought all my thick film from stickercity.com. I bought the kit for the pre-cut headlights/foglights and I also bought TWO 2' X 2' universal dark smoke cuts for the taillights and third brake light. If you have it installed professionally it should cost about $200-$300 for everything since the taillights are a complete nightmare to most specialty film shops. If you want the lights to not look blacked out when off in the evening or night you should probably get the medium or light smoke film."

I wish we could have more members post some pics of their trucks with the LaminX, Expel, 3M, etc. along with their thoughts about strength, longevity, law enforcement encounters, looks, etc. Maybe WXMOTORSPORTS could get us a deal; I am also interested in the AVS or Weathertech smoked vent/rain visors for my windows, and the Carriage Works billet grille along with upper piece as I already have the lower three sitting here at the house. WXMOTORSPORTS has all of this and more for purchase.

Driving A Dream!
    Slate Metallic SR5 4X2 5.7 Crewmax/15% tinted windows/ navigation/back-up camera/JBL System w-Sub/ steering wheel audio controls/Bluetooth/LineX/bed extender/Weathertechs/bucket seats/moonroof/ VIPER 5900/fully debadged/AVS Visors/Tundra Sills/Uncle Mike's Paddle Holster Mount/UnderCover/Carriage Works Polished Grille 5-Piece/PUTCO Pedals/Sport Shifter/ Smoked Headlights-Taillights-3rd Brake Light/ Tinted PIAA Fog Lights/22" Color Matched KMC 652Wheels/ 305-45-22 General Grabbers/Borla Dual Split Rear Exit 2 in and 2 Out Exhaust/Billet 14" Antenna/ Rear Sway Bar/VLEDS in Cab,Cargo/painted TRD CAI and engine cover/AutoDimming Mirror/Headrest DVD Players/Magnetic Gun Mount/Doug Thorley Long Tubes/URD Rear Sim/Stebel Big Daddy Horn/TR Lowering Kit 2051/TRDSPARKS Fender Flares/Plasma Glow LED Kits Under and Wheel Wells/Color Matched Mirror Caps *Clazzios To Come

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tigerking View Post
    There are companies that actually sell different tints of smoke such as 50%, 30%, 15%, etc. Barberdan is the one who gave me some info in a PM. Here it is copied and pasted: "It's been 2 months since I smoked the headlights, foglights, third brake light, and taillights and no trouble with the law. At night it looks stock and if you want you can run the headlights during the day without offsetting the smoked look completely. I bought all my thick film from stickercity.com. I bought the kit for the pre-cut headlights/foglights and I also bought TWO 2' X 2' universal dark smoke cuts for the taillights and third brake light. If you have it installed professionally it should cost about $200-$300 for everything since the taillights are a complete nightmare to most specialty film shops. If you want the lights to not look blacked out when off in the evening or night you should probably get the medium or light smoke film."

I wish we could have more members post some pics of their trucks with the LaminX, Expel, 3M, etc. along with their thoughts about strength, longevity, law enforcement encounters, looks, etc. Maybe WXMOTORSPORTS could get us a deal; I am also interested in the AVS or Weathertech smoked vent/rain visors for my windows, and the Carriage Works billet grille along with upper piece as I already have the lower three sitting here at the house. WXMOTORSPORTS has all of this and more for purchase.
    Sounds like a plan.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp

Liked
    0 times
    Images

mine are on the way ill have pics asap went with 17 mil smoked tail and head lights and yellow for the fogs , also installing 8oook low beam and 3oook fog hids at the same time, the yellow is experimental but i think ill like it

Liked
    0 times

anybody ever use VHT niteshades spray smoke?
    2007 Black/Slate Tundra CM LTD 5.7L 4x4
    OEM Navi, DVD, Cam, Bedliner, Steptubes
    HID kit/smoked tails/Bed Mat/Full DeBadge
    RollnLock Cover/Cane Corso Security System
    305/60/20 Toyo Open Country A/Ts (35")
    20" stock rims/3"/1" SST ReadyLift
    K&N 63 CAI/BackRack

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TO_Tundra View Post
    anybody ever use VHT niteshades spray smoke?
    yes. .

Liked
    69 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEPOINTSEVEN View Post
    Sounds like a plan.
    OT

Why do you have that annoying Shamwow clown in your sig?

Just curious .....
    2008 Tundra 5.7L RCSB 2WD Supercharged, Auburn LSD, IPT Valvebody, Sequoia swaybar, BAM stainless custom exhaust, etc...

www.gaugeplates.com

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

What is a "Shamwow"? Is this the killer whale at Seaworld?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Yellow on fog lights really are the best. I ordered a set of just the yellow fog light covers.

Just Another Day In Paradise!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.