How many quarts of Oil?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: How many quarts of Oil?

Liked
    0 times

Default How many quarts of Oil?

Hey, I just totally forgot how many quarts of oil to use in my 07 5.7 L, is it 6 or 7?

5w-30 Royal Purple

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    7 times

Default Re: How many quarts of Oil?

7.4 quarts.
    2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax SR5 5.7L w/ TRD Package, Blue Streak Metallic/Graphite, FormulaOne Pinnacle Ceramic Tint (30%), auto-dimming mirror, Line-X Bedliner (under the rail), RS3200 alarm/GBS/hood switch, brushed stainless steel running boards, bed extender, door sill protectors, TRD rear sway bar, TRD CAI, Corsa Touring exhaust, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Rostra back-up camera and fixed monitor, sport (color matched) grille, factory accelerator pedal and floormats.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

7 is perfect.
    '07 RCSB 5.7L SR5 Silver Sky Metallic (The Silver Bullet) Yep....it's gotta HEMI

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!

wii
    Liked
    0 times

Why would you use a thicker oil than what is recommended?

Liked
    0 times

i thought thats just what i was supposed to use. Thats what they told me.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Check out the manual. You'll want to use 0w-20 or 5w-20
    2008 DC Tundra Grade Tundra
    White with all black interior

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by kobaseball45 View Post
    i thought thats just what i was supposed to use. Thats what they told me.

"They" were wrong, just look at the owners manual to verify. 30wt is too heavy for htis beast!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Raise the hood and read what's written on the cap, that covers the hole, where you pour the oil in. While your there, you can check the power steering fluid level, the brake fluid level, engine coolant (cold engine only), washer fluid level and the air filter. Then check your tire pressure.
    Last edited by djb383; 04-22-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    '07 RCSB 5.7L SR5 Silver Sky Metallic (The Silver Bullet) Yep....it's gotta HEMI

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Liked
    0 times

So my question now is.. Is it bad to change the Oil thickness now? or would there have been any harm done from using the 5w-30?

Liked
    0 times

i just had my oil changed at the stealership because I didn't have time this month to do it myself. I had my wife take the truck in while I was out of town. My dealer used 5W-30 Royal Purple. Its on the receipt. If anything goes wrong, its their a$$ and i've got the proof. However, in reading through many many oil related threads in this forum, there are more than just a few folks using 5W-30 synthetic. Lot of talk about tight tolerances and thicker oil not being able to flow as well, and LOTS of references to "Bob the oil guy". But i do know for a fact that there are more than just my dealership putting 5W-30 Royal Purple full synthetic in these 5.7's. I'm not saying its right or its wrong - just stating the facts.
    08 CM LTD 4WD Nautical Blue w/RedRock
    Debadged with TRD CAI,TRD Dual Ex,TRD RSB,TRD Shiftknob,TRD Sport Pedals,TRD Oilcap,Wade Bugshield,Lorado,Scosche iPod Integration, Anytime Fogs, Anytime DRL's & WeatherTech Mats

CBTMA

Liked
    3 times

Had mine changed yesterday for the 1st time at the dealer with 5W30. Dealer claims they called Toyota and they said it was OK to run the 30 weight (true or untrue I don't know).

Personally, I think the new 5W20 rating by manufacturers today is for fuel mileage, emissions and CAFE requirements. I believe you will be just fine running 5W30....in fact, I think it adds more protection. Until proven otherwise, I'll stick with the 5W30.

BTW, what does the new 4.7L require in these new Tundra's....5W20 or 5W30?? My dad has an '02 with 215,000 miles and he's been running 5W30 since it was new. The reason I ask, is I because I don't think they changed the 4.7 in any way.
    2008 Tundra Crew Max TRD w/5.7 - Pyrite Mica, Bilstein 5100's all around, MB Torque Wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler 305's, Westin Bull Bar w/Lights, Bed Rails, Access Tonneau Cover

Liked
    14 times
    Images

Someone in this forum sent an email to Toyota after they had 5W-30 put in by the dealer. Toyota said that was wrong, 0w or 5w -20 only. I won't argue with them, at least during the warranty period. Are they going to send your oil in to be tested if your engine freezes up? I doubt it.......but why risk it.........I tend to follow the advise of those really smart Japenese engineers..........
    2007 Crewmax 4x4 Limited - Silver, 2.5" OME Front Lift w/Toytec 1" Diff Drop, 1" Toytec Block rear w/Bilstein 5100 shocks, 18" Ultra Grinder Wheels, 285/70/R18 Toyo Open Country M/T, Line-X Bed Liner, Undercover Tonneau (Only in winter), Weathertech Floor Liners, Back-up Cam (Toyota/Rostra), 2008 JBL NAV, IPOD Adapter, Console Vault
    CBTMA Member

14. 04-22-2008, 10:35 AM

Reason
    duplicate

Liked
    0 times

a guy i know says its best to run 10w-40 and only change it every 15,000 miles. I think he's wrong so i read my instruction manual written by the people that built the truck and I use 5w-20.
    2007 Crewmax 5.7 SR5 TRD 4x2, superwhite, gray leather, jbl system, xm, bluetooth, viper alarm, back up camera, running boards, trd shifter, carbon fiber dashkit, afe drop-in w/ hc delete, magnaflow single out catback.

Liked
    14 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rugbytrd07 View Post
    a guy i know says its best to run 10w-40 and only change it every 15,000 miles. I think he's wrong so i read my instruction manual written by the people that built the truck and I use 5w-20.
    That's think'n outside the box!
    2007 Crewmax 4x4 Limited - Silver, 2.5" OME Front Lift w/Toytec 1" Diff Drop, 1" Toytec Block rear w/Bilstein 5100 shocks, 18" Ultra Grinder Wheels, 285/70/R18 Toyo Open Country M/T, Line-X Bed Liner, Undercover Tonneau (Only in winter), Weathertech Floor Liners, Back-up Cam (Toyota/Rostra), 2008 JBL NAV, IPOD Adapter, Console Vault
    CBTMA Member