Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Bed rusting behind wheelwheels?

35K views 65 replies 27 participants last post by  tripwalking 
#1 ·
Hey all-

I've got a 2007 DoubleCab short bed, which I bought new and had sprayed with Line-X right away. The other night I noticed behind the right wheelwheel there's a bubble in the liner, and it's a few inches across. I pushed on it, and made the sickening crunchy sound of rust.

I showed the Line-X guys, and they told me they see a lot of that on the Tundras, and that the water is getting in beneath in the spot welded seam. Since they told me it's a common problem, I've looked for other mentions of it online, and haven't had a ton of success. Any others here running into that issue?

I'm talking to the dealership tomorrow. I contend that if the water is coming from beneath, and there's rust right underneath the line-x, then there has to be a hole all the way through. This is a real bummer, since this has been my favorite truck I've ever owned. This kinda sours the experience though.

Thanks,
Korey

#3 ·
Are you saying the bedliner is to blame? Because if the water is coming in from underneath, then I don't see how the bedliner is holding in water any more than the stock bed would. Isn't the surface of the bed impermeable as well, even without the liner?

#6 ·
Are you saying the bedliner is to blame? Because if the water is coming in from underneath, then I don't see how the bedliner is holding in water any more than the stock bed would. Isn't the surface of the bed impermeable as well, even without the liner?
I won't tell you the line-x is to blame but i'll bet the dealer does. Used to use that garbage they called rustproofing years ago and had nothing but rust (bubbles). You coat it water gets underneath and sets there and bingo you have rust.Haven't used any type of undercoating or soundproofing in years and no rust.

#7 ·
The water is coming in from underneath, attacking the poorly seal seam in the sheetmetal. Regardless of the line-x it'd be trapped in there. If the line-x weren't sealing it in, the sheet metal and paint on top of the bed would be doing it, at least until it rusted through.

I talked to the service manager this afternoon, and they acknowledged seeing quite a few instances of rust in this spot, without the bedliner. He even said they're likely going to have a TSB on it soon. Without any trouble at all they called the regional rep and I'm getting a whole new bed, under the corrosion warranty, including an allowance to have the bedliner redone.

#10 ·
Not sure if this has any relevance to the OP. But this thread got me thinking a bit and somewhat worried.

I routinely spray under the wheel wells, and up underneath the bed into the side of the bed. Mainly between the tail light and wheel well. Depending on time of year and type of driving (dusty or muddy forest service roads, sanded, salted winter roads), tons of dirt and crap comes out of there. That's why I've made it routine on all my trucks the last 10 years.

I wonder if it's the dirt and muck holding moisture up there on the troubled beds that's causing the rust. I haven't had an issue, maybe cause I routinely flush it out. If it was just cause of the water, I'm sure I'd have trouble by now with the amount of water I force up there. Just a thought.

#12 ·
Yeah, I'm definitely very pleased. The way they're handling this has turned me from "I'll never buy a Toyota again if it's going to rust through in 5 years" into a confirmed fan. It was making me absolutely sick trying to think of another vehicle I'd rather drive.

Here are a couple of pictures from topside. It's hard to see the issue, but you can see a few small rust spots on the liner. I don't know that I can tell for sure where exactly water is getting in on the bottom.
Sky
Blue Sky Water Asphalt

Removing the drop-in and taking a look sounds like a great idea. I probably would have noticed long before if the spray-in wasn't hiding the issue. Now, I'm hoping the replacement is sealed better, because if not I'm going to have to take some preparatory action.

I'll try taking the wheel off and looking around if I can this weekend to get a good idea of where the problem is on the bottom side.

#14 ·
There is another thread here on TS about this problem - other people have had bed rust in that same spot. It is where a bracket is welded on underneath the bed if I remember correctly. I looked at those areas when I was greasing my u-joints last month and now I wonder if it might not be a good idea to seal the brackets to the bed with some silicon sealant. Might keep water out or maybe make it worse by holding water in. But I don't think the Line-X is to blame - as someone else said, if not that then the paint would hold the water in that area.

#16 ·
say issue here in Ontario, I pointed it out to the dealer and he recognized the problem, contacted Toyota and they have shipped a new bed and tailgate to be installed next week. The frame rust recall will laso be completed when the bed is off for optimum job. I have lots of pictures if someone wants to see them. By the way I have had the bed covered from the elements with an ARE cap from the day I bought it so it is deffinetely from the underside

JW

#17 ·
same issue here in Ontario, Canada,I pointed it out to the dealer and he recognized the problem, contacted Toyota and they have shipped a new bed and tailgate to be installed next week. The frame rust recall will laso be completed when the bed is off for optimum job. I have lots of pictures if someone wants to see them. By the way I have had the bed covered from the elements with an ARE cap from the day I bought it so it is deffinetely from the underside

JW

#18 ·
Just An FYI... I'm going through this now. I'm dropping my truck off at a shop to have the rust cut out and new sheet metal welded back in. My truck is officially out of warranty and neither the local dealer no Toyota Corporate would do anything for me. New bed cost $5k and there's none in the country (just fyi from what I was told).

The "replacement floor" doesn't cover where most of the problem is. The floor on our beds you can see the seam, it's just the center 1/2 of the bed. The part that's rusting on mine and the OP is outside of that center floor piece. I'll take some pictures. I do have rust in that center section also, but MOST is outside of it.

While I do NOT blame the Line-X for the cause of the rust. I do blame it for hiding it long enough to miss the warranty. Going to cost me ~$800-$1k to have 4 nice rust spots repaired. And another few $$ to get the bed re Line X'd. I'm pretty upset about the whole thing.

I bought my truck brand new 12/15/2007 and had the bed sprayed 12/22/2007. My truck has been garaged since new, and WELL taken care of. It does get driven in the winter (aka snow/salt roads). But it is ridiculous that a 2008 Toyota hadn't figured out how to seam seal welded panels. Not sure why I have to pay for that shotty work. Again, I believe the line X hid it from me just long enough to screw me :-/ I don't blame them of course but it sucks none the less.

#20 ·
HEY ALL, My 2010 DC is getting a new bed from toyota right now. Found the rust a couple of weeks ago, called the dealer and they looked at the truck and scheduled the replacement.
I haven't seen any on my 2011 so far, but your experience is definitely a wake up call for me. Does your truck have a spray in liner, a plastic tub liner or no liner at all? Thanks!

#22 ·
Rhino spray liner. The liner is not the problem. The rust comes from the bottom up. I started to see rust stains in the liner and could not think of anything I left in the bed. You really can't see the rust from the bottom either. I started to push on the liner and could actually here the cracking of rust.

#23 ·
I haven't seen any on my 2011 so far, but your experience is definitely a wake up call for me. Does your truck have a spray in liner, a plastic tub liner or no liner at all? Thanks!
I understand the the problem was corrected beginning with the 2011 models.

#24 ·
Removed the bed liner to replace it with a rubber bed mat for a camper. Found rust behind the driver's side wheel well. Did some searching found this

2007-11 Toyota Tundra Truck Bed Floor Rust / Corrosion - TSB | Tundra Headquarters Blog

Pickup truck Car Vehicle Truck bed part Truck
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Hood Engine

It's out of warranty so I guess I'm stuck. Don't think a 2008 should have this issue. Seems Toyota has more rust issues than just the first generation Tundra frames and Tacoma frames. Can't wait to talk to the dealer about it....

#25 ·
Went to the dealer today. They looked at it and said the "boss" in the body shop needed to look it over can you wait for a while. We did. They came back and said we took pictures of it and the TSB number and called someone at PSD?? to check on it. They said we'd have to bring the truck back and let them inspect it. I guess that's better than an out right, NO we won't fix it. So we are on call when they call... Then we will drive it over and let them inspect it. Hopefully they make it right.

#26 ·
I understand the the problem was corrected beginning with the 2011 models.
Well I now have the proof sitting in my garage that it was not fixed in the 2011 Tundras. :(

I had not checked it in a while and when I took the mat out last weekend I found numerous bubbles in the floor behind the wheel wells. I have a bunch of stuff going on in my life right now but I have to get it into a dealer soon and see what they say. The truck looks basically perfect and now the bed floor is rusting out - if they don't take care of me I am not going be a happy camper. It will also be the last Toyota that I will ever own. Those newer Dodge's are starting to look pretty good to me - I mean what can happen - will the bed rust out?

I have a bed mat but no liner at all - no scratches in the bed floor paint - just rust bubbling up from underneath, so they can't blame a spray-in liner in my case.

My next step is to try to locate a TSB on this problem - my local dealers always pretend they don't know anything about problems until you hand the TSB to them.

I will post again when I know more - but keep an eye on those Tundras! Toyota apparently has still not figured out how to make a bed or a frame that won't rust.