Found Another Tundra Trick: 'S' Mode Shifting

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found Another Tundra Trick: 'S' Mode Shifting

Liked
    0 times

Default Found Another Tundra Trick: 'S' Mode Shifting

I use the 'S' mode alot and thought I knew all the little secrets of this truck. It turns out if you are in a low gear, instead of bumping the shifter a bunch of times to hit 6th, you can just push it forward and hold for 1 second. It will jump straight to 6th

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Found Another Tundra Trick: 'S' Mode Shifting

cool, but i don't really use the mode. BUt cool find though.

Liked
    7 times

There's all kinds of interesting stuff in the owner's manual.
    2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax SR5 5.7L w/ TRD Package, Blue Streak Metallic/Graphite, FormulaOne Pinnacle Ceramic Tint (30%), auto-dimming mirror, Line-X Bedliner (under the rail), RS3200 alarm/GBS/hood switch, brushed stainless steel running boards, bed extender, door sill protectors, TRD rear sway bar, TRD CAI, Corsa Touring exhaust, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Rostra back-up camera and fixed monitor, sport (color matched) grille, factory accelerator pedal and floormats.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

That was in the Owner's Manual, in the DVD that came with the truck, and in the owner's iGuide:

WELCOME TO TOYOTAiGUIDE.COM
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I appreciate your sharing this FiveOh.. Curious though.. Why whould I want to go straight to 6th gear from a low gear? Maybe if I was hitting 3rd or 4th hard to get on to the highway, then wanted to get it into 6th to start cruising, I guess, huh? I'll try it! Thanks again for sharing this stuff with us who stopped reading the manual at page 4..
    • Silver 2008 5.7 4x4 SR5 Double Cab with Gray Leather and JBL picked up on 5/31/08
    • I installed the Truxxx 3/1 leveling kit the day after I got it. PAIN IN THE A!! Get a shop to do it!!
    • Excalibur AL-2000 2-way pager alarm with remote start and dark as legally possible tint installed the very next day
    • 305/55/20 Toyo A/T tires and black with machined lip ATX Vice wheels installed the day after that!
    • Aries 4" Deluxe Oval tube steps.
    • Sirius Satelite Radio installed using wleeb's awesome DIY.

Liked
    0 times

Just because the gear indicator says 6th gear, doesn't mean that you are in 6th gear, it just means that the tranny can shift into 6th gear if it wants to.
    2007 Tundra DC, 5.7, Limited, 4X4
    TRD, NAV,TOW
    Afe Stage 2
    Xlerator Exhaust
    Desert Sand Mica

Liked
    359 times

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhammerz View Post
    Just because the gear indicator says 6th gear, doesn't mean that you are in 6th gear, it just means that the tranny can shift into 6th gear if it wants to.
    2007 Tundra DC 4.7 SR5 TRD 4X4
    Garmin Nuvi 1300T
    Stubby antenna

Clear Bra,
    ARB Bumper,
    Line-X,
    325/60/18 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radials,
    18" KMC XD Hoss Black,
    ARE CX Series Topper,
    KC Rally 800 long range lights,
    Tinted windows,
    Wet Okoles Frt & Rear,
    Weather Tech rain deflectors,
    Weather Tech floor liners frt/rear,
    Ready Lift 2.4"
    Bel Vector 995 Radar Detector,
    Wilson cellular booster,
    Cobra 75 WX ST Compact/Remote CB,
    Sirius Satellite Radio,
    S&W .38 Spl Laser grip (hot pink),
    TRD sway bar (black widow style),
    Debadged except TRD sticker,
    Roxy Sticker
    TS Tank Top
    Horn Blaster train horn, ARB rear bumper (if they ever make one) or line-x rear bumper, Color matched fender flares, Underseat storage of some sort, Winch (if i can ever afford one), Sun roof! Going broke thinking about it.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by OntheRox View Post
    The S mode can cause some confusion since it may be mistakenly thought of as a manual transmission mode like the kind some sports cars have. As Skyhammerz points out, the gear indicator in the instrument panel shows what gear the truck is allowed to shift up to.

So, if you are in S mode and you bump the shift lever up until it reads 5, it does not force the truck into 5th gear. It just means the truck is allowed to shift from 1st gear up to but past 5th gear. It still behaves as an automatic in that range and will shift up and down as required, but never shift above 5th. So, even though the shift display reads 5, you could actually be driving in any of the gears from 1st to 5th. The truck is not limited ONLY to 5th.

This S mode is not the same as the manual shift mode that some sports cars have, where it forces and limits the transmission into whatever gear is selected.

Oh... and the "Artificial Intelligence" mode of the transmission is turned off in S mode, so it will not do the engine braking downshifts in this mode.
    Last edited by seadragon; 06-05-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Liked
    53 times

Thanks fiveoh, I use S-mode for decelerating, but D for everything else. Now I'll always be able to leave it in S.

Liked
    359 times

Quote Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
    The S mode can cause some confusion since it may be mistakenly thought of as a manual transmission mode like the kind some sports cars have. As Skyhammerz points out, the gear indicator in the instrument panel shows what gear the truck is allowed to shift up to.

So, if you are in S mode and you bump the shift lever up until it reads 5, it does not force the truck into 5th gear. It just means the truck is allowed to shift from 1st gear up to but past 5th gear. It still behaves as an automatic in that range and will shift up and down as required, but never shift above 5th. So, even though the shift display reads 5, you could actually be driving in any of the gears from 1st to 5th. The truck is not limited ONLY to 5th.

This S mode is not the same as the manual shift mode that some sports cars have, where it forces and limits the transmission into whatever gear is selected.

Oh... and the "Artificial Intelligence" mode of the transmission is turned off in S mode, so it will not do the engine braking downshifts in this mode.
    My 5spd must be quite different from the 6spd...I use "s" mode constantly...700 miles every weekend on steep grades...On the other hand, my Suby will not allow you to shift into a lower gear, it beeps as a warning
    Garmin Nuvi 1300T
    Stubby antenna

Clear Bra,
    ARB Bumper,
    Line-X,
    18" KMC XD Hoss Black,
    ARE CX Series Topper,
    Tinted windows,
    Wet Okoles Frt & Rear,
    Ready Lift 2.4"
    Wilson cellular booster,
    Sirius Satellite Radio,
    Roxy Sticker
    TS Tank Top
    Horn Blaster train horn, ARB rear bumper (if they ever make one) or line-x rear bumper, Color matched fender flares, Underseat storage of some sort, Winch (if i can ever afford one), Sun roof! Going broke thinking about it.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by OntheRox View Post
    My 5spd must be quite different from the 6spd...I use "s" mode constantly...700 miles every weekend on steep grades...On the other hand, my Suby will not allow you to shift into a lower gear, it beeps as a warning
    They all operate the same as skyhammerz and seadragon stated. I've drive both the 4.7/5-spd combo and 5.7/6-spd combo. If you want to test; from a complete stop put it in S mode and press "+" all the way until the indicator says 5. The transmission will shift 1 through 5th gears just like it would be in "D."

The only time S mode really makes a difference is holding gears or downshifting for passing power but even so, the computer can still downshift further than you want it to. Example would be you're pulling a hill and have it in "5" but when you go to accelerate you downshift to 4th but gun the gas pedal, the truck will go into fourth gear then downshift once more on it's own to 3rd gear.
    2007 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4x4 TRD 5.7

|Corsa Sport Exhaust|TRD Intake|Optitrons|Eclipse DVD/GPS|Factory 20's|Rapid Hitch|Headache Rack|Delta Toolbox|

Liked
    359 times

Quote Originally Posted by DavidT. View Post
    They all operate the same as skyhammerz and seadragon stated. I've drive both the 4.7/5-spd combo and 5.7/6-spd combo. If you want to test; from a complete stop put it in S mode and press "+" all the way until the indicator says 5. The transmission will shift 1 through 5th gears just like it would be in "D."

The only time S mode really makes a difference is holding gears or downshifting for passing power but even so, the computer can still downshift further than you want it to. Example would be you're pulling a hill and have it in "5" but when you go to accelerate you downshift to 4th but gun the gas pedal, the truck will go into fourth gear then downshift once more on it's own to 3rd gear.

Yep this is exactly what it does...I misunderstood, I thought someone was saying that the truck WOULD hold in gear . I drive around in 's" mode all the time after forgetting to put it back in "D". and it shifts as normal. My Suby will not do this...
    Garmin Nuvi 1300T
    Stubby antenna

Clear Bra,
    ARB Bumper,
    Line-X,
    18" KMC XD Hoss Black,
    ARE CX Series Topper,
    Tinted windows,
    Wet Okoles Frt & Rear,
    Ready Lift 2.4"
    Wilson cellular booster,
    Sirius Satellite Radio,
    Roxy Sticker
    TS Tank Top

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by slackjaw07 View Post
    There's all kinds of interesting stuff in the owner's manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeinAZ View Post
    That was in the Owner's Manual, in the DVD that came with the truck, and in the owner's iGuide:

WELCOME TO TOYOTAiGUIDE.COM

Wow, thanks guys!!!

Liked
    0 times

but, oh how I wish they WOULD make the transmission a true sport shift, where it holds the gear I tell it to and doesnt shif until I tell it to, and upshifts or downshifts when I tell it to. THAT would make my truck perfect (for me)

Liked
    0 times

That and an LSD

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.