Tailgate Removal

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tailgate Removal

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Tailgate Removal

Does anybody know how to remove the tailgate on the Tundra? The paint on my tail gate started to egg shell and it is going into a repair shop today. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Tailgate Removal

Pretty simple. Lower the tailgate approximately half way then unhook the support cables on each side of the tailgate. Then lift up on the right side of the tailgate and it should lift off of the pivot point which will allow you to slide it off of the left post. This is better done with two people, but I have done it alone.

Liked
    0 times

yea what they said, mine was a bit trickier, After moving it half way with the cables off then pulling one side out... I then have to lift it almost till it closes then it slides really easy. the same when I go to put it on. you kinda have to close it all the way... its easier to line up then once you get it in the lil post you can lower it half way and slide it in the other post and of course then the cables...
    Has:
    07 black limited 4X4
    Black head light mod
    AFE CAI
    JBA tubing with a Magnaflow muffler
    CB radio
    2.5 Toy Tec
    N-Fab steps
    Doug's long tube Headers

Liked
    11 times
    Images

If you have B/U camera, be sure to unplug it before you pull gate off.
    2008 Crewmax limited 4x4 TRD
    Moon roof, Nav, Sonar
    Blue Streak Metelic. Bilstein 5100's, Hypertech speedo calibration, Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70-18's
    http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrer...%2Fwmlcg%3D%3D

Liked
    1 times

manual has detailed procedure in it to help with removal process. Or go to this site for instructions.
    http://www.toyotaiguide.com/iGuide_Tundra.htm
    select your model year then select Section on KEYS and DOORS.
    Your will get to see a detailed movie with sound of the door being removed.
    Only thing I would add is place something soft on the bumper to set tail gate on. Plus determine and prepare with protection where you plan to put once it is removed in advance.
    Last edited by DCTRDPYRITE; 06-20-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Liked
    16 times
    Images

owners manuals are neat arent they? plus the tailgate comes off the same as tailgates on trucks have for 30+ years haha

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by rockstate45 View Post
    haha when I was looking at the Tacoma, the salesman was bragging about how easy it was to pull off the tailgate :crazy:

I was like, sweet, so it's easy to steal with one person, it's light, and it's the same as every other tailgate. How nice Mr. Salesperson

-rockstate

That is why they come with a lock

Liked
    30 times
    Images

Locks only keep honest people honest. I use mine but I dont hop in and out of the bed.
    Black 2014 Platinum 4x4, seems to have ALL the options, Flowmaster Dual Delta 40's, K&N drop in filter, LineX,4" Tuff Country Suspension lift, Nitto Trail Grapplers 35/12.50/18, Moto Metal M0961's in Chrome 18x9. Fully DeBadged , Stebel horn, TRD Swaybar, Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, 10,000 lb winch, 5000K HID's (all), Production date 8/07
    "CBTMA Member"

Black 2007 D/C Limited 4x4-SOLD
    1997 Chevy Tahoe Sport 4x4 (R.I.P)
    2008 Sequoia Ltd. Slate Metallic (purchased on 3/28/09)

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The MARINES don't have that problem."
    President Ronald Reagan 1985

Liked
    0 times

I will only lock mine when I have my welder in the back... or anything heavy and valuable. other than that it stays open. Just wondering, would it be a problem If I covered those holes on the bottom of the tailgate. I haul sand, gravel, and base for work and every time I put the tailgate down them holes fill up with what ever I have in the bed. them Im having to shoot water inside to get it out
    Has:
    07 black limited 4X4
    Black head light mod
    AFE CAI
    JBA tubing with a Magnaflow muffler
    CB radio
    2.5 Toy Tec
    N-Fab steps
    Doug's long tube Headers

Liked
    9 times
    Images

My tailgate locks with the remote it also opens with a push of the button.
    Charlie & Linda

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.