Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Towing this Travel Trailer - Any problems

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  breeno 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 crew max Tundra, 4x4, 5.7. I have a Pro Pride WD hitch, air bags and am considering purchasing a new travel trailer. Currently tow a 33.5' trailer with dry weights of 7225 and 760 hitch weight. I previously towed from Alaska to the east coast a shorter trailer with about the same weight and a more basic WD hitch with bars.

Now considering moving up to a Freedom Express 320BHDS, 7015 dry weight, 846 dry hitch weight but 36' 11" in length. Too much trailer or still ok? I have read a lot but am as confused as ever.

I am confident the truck can handle the overall weight. Does the extra length make a difference? Do I need to be worried about the extra hitch weight?

#2 ·
I'd be curious what the actual weights are on the trailer. It has a TBA for GVWR but shows a payload capacity of over 3,300 lbs. That would indicate a GVWR of 10,300 lbs+. That's a lot of trailer. I would want to know actual hitch and total weights before I bought it.

The length is scary but the Tundra wheelbase is as long as most 3/4 and 1 tons.

If the weights check out, I would consider towing this with a Tundra. I would monitor how heavy the hitch gets as I load up all my gear. With a trailer that cool (and obviously built for a family), the hitch weight could get out of control.

Tom

#3 ·
I just posted up my recent trip to the scales on our new TT and was definitely surprised at what I found. My TT is considerably lighter than this one and I still bumped up against my rear axle limit (although I had a few caveats listed)

I suspect the tongue weight on this rig will be a real payload killer and will be a challenge...that said I'm certainly not an expert here, I'm still working through this maze of numbers as well...

Great hitch, BTW :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.