installing a trailer brake controller

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing a trailer brake controller

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default installing a trailer brake controller

I've got a 2008 DC with the factory towing package, and I'm planning to purchase a travel trailer in the coming weeks. I've got a trailer brake pigtail in my glovebox which I plan to use for the installation. I've read several threads about the installation of a brake controller, and none of them indicate whether or not I'll need to purchase/install any additional fuses or relays. Are all the necessary fuses & relays already installed by Toyota, since I've got the factory towing package? In other words, I can immediately hook up to a trailer, adjust (dial in) the controller, and start towing?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    14 times

Default Re: installing a trailer brake controller

It was all there, I bought the P3 and the Toyota harness online, I didn't use the harness in the glovebox. Took about 30min to install. I didn't have to add any fuses if I remember correctly.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Buy the p3 or prodigy and the factory harness, it is plug and play. By the time you figure out the factory harness and hook all the wires together it's just not worth it.
    Charlie & Linda

Liked
    0 times

I used the plug that came with the truck. It was easy to install. I didn't go out and buy anything else and I have been towing ever since.

No extra fuses or relays needed.

By the way....what kind of travel trailer are you getting?
    2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7
    ENOUGH SAID!!!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

I would suggest that instead of using the supplied harness that you buy a harness from a RV store such as Camping World. It comes with connectors on both ends so all you have to do is plug one end into your controller and the other in into the plug on your truck. The color coding of the supplied harness does not match the color coding of the controllers, so you will need to use a schematic and an ohm meter to hook it up correctly. The connecting harness I bought cost less than $20.00 and I hooked up my controller in less than 30 minutes.

Do a search on Brake Controllers....there should be part numbers, photos, etc. There have been many threads all ready written on the subject. Good Luck!
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

Did some searching for you:

Tekonsha Wire Replacement for Toyota and Lexus Vehicles 3040-P : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Brake controller placement in '07?

Prodigy brake controller

Tekonsha PRODIGY Trailer Brake Controller little help please

Electric Trailer Brake Controller Installation

The answer to your question about fuses and relays is YES, everything is there, ready to go once you connect your controller.

A side note: The +12 volt wire in the 7 Pin connector that goes to your trailer battery only has power when the key is in the "ON" position.
    Last edited by LeeinAZ; 08-24-2008 at 08:34 AM.
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Thanks for all the info, guys. I had already viewed many/most of the supplied threads. I was specifically interested in the fuses & relays, though, since they hadn't been mentioned in the other threads. It sounds like I won't need to add any extra fuses/relays when I install the brake controller.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarheadfor4 View Post
    No extra fuses or relays needed.

By the way....what kind of travel trailer are you getting?
    Not yet sure on the TT. I'm on a VERY tight budget, so it will likely be 7-10 years old. Just need something that's fully self-contained, for a family of 4. I'd consider some sort of pop-up trailer, since they're HOA-friendly and could stay on the side of my house... but I expect we'll end up with a traditional travel trailer.

Liked
    0 times

You will not need to put in any fuses or breakers,they are already there. The factory supplied harness is easy to wire to any controller. Why spend $20.00, when you can do it yourself in ten minutes. If you have money to burn, please send it to me, I can use it.

John K

Liked
    0 times

Asianflava.....We both have the exact same P3 controller mounted in the exact same place. LOL. Looks good. And I thought I was being so original.

I used the toyota supplied harness and spliced it to the P3 wiring pigtail. One hour install time and most of that was getting the mounting point centered.
    Last edited by mkinzer; 08-24-2008 at 10:01 AM.
    2007 Tundra 5.7L Limited DC 2WD Silver TRD with Banks Dual Monster exhaust and Airaid CAI. Kenwood DNX-7100 and Infinity everything else.

2007 KTM 250 SX-F
    2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
    2005 KTM 525 SMR
    2005 Suzuki DR-Z435SM
    2005 Yamaha FJR1300
    2006 Suzuki LTZ-400

Liked
    0 times

I really cant see why everyone is making a big deal out of using the factory harness that came with your truck. Its the simplest thing in the world to wire up just follow the instructions and you do not need an ohm meter or anything like that, but if you wanna spend 20 bucks on the other harness then go ahead its your money but I would say just wire the factory one to the controller and start towing.

Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by RT8827 View Post
    I'd consider some sort of pop-up trailer, since they're HOA-friendly and could stay on the side of my house... but I expect we'll end up with a traditional travel trailer.

I would take a good look at the popups before you decide. Some of the new highwalls have every amenity that the TT's have and you can fit them in the garage and still get 15 mpg pulling them. I just bought a Fleetwood Saratoga a few months ago and have been very happy with it. Setup is very simple and only takes 15-20 minutes.
    Songdog

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

HELP! I just purchased a Prodigy brake controller with cable kit 3040-P for my 2007 Tundra. I took the kick panel off and cannot find where this cable 'mates' into. I found a connector that was taped up higher above the electrical panel but it does not seem to mate up to my cable. Also where to place the white ground wire? I see a couple of wires screwed into the frame of the truck on the front portion of the kick area so assuming this is where the ground wire goes. My bigger problem is locating the connector under the kick panel. I have the tow package also.
    Any help would be appreciated:
    Thanks
    Last edited by mxsjw; 08-25-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: removed personal info.

Liked
    12 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by joxyer View Post
    HELP! I just purchased a Prodigy brake controller with cable kit 3040-P for my 2007 Tundra. I took the kick panel off and cannot find where this cable 'mates' into. I found a connector that was taped up higher above the electrical panel but it does not seem to mate up to my cable. Also where to place the white ground wire? I see a couple of wires screwed into the frame of the truck on the front portion of the kick area so assuming this is where the ground wire goes. My bigger problem is locating the connector under the kick panel. I have the tow package also.
    Any help would be appreciated:
    Thanks
    Sounds like you found the correct wire bundle, but you need to remove the blank that is inserted before you plug in the 3040-P harness.

Yes, one of those 10mm bolts towards the front of the kick panel is a perfect place for the white ground wire, I just used one that already had grounds on it.

PS, I removed your personal info from your post...not a good idea to post that stuff on a public forum.

Beer please!
    CBTMA (Member and Founding Father: Est. August 15, 2008)
    Clicky>>> What The Heck is CBTMA
    Unknown - "The biological purpose of pain is to prevent the recurrence of stupidity."

Liked
    7 times
    Images

I spliced the factory cable it made it easier to route the harness. I took out the ash tray and replaced it with thre Prodigy (Bench Seat model SR5). The whole job was less than 1 hour including figuring where to mount it. Save Your $20, it not a big deal to splice.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

Save Your $20, it not a big deal to splice
    That is a true statement, but only if you have experience in electronics and wiring. The main thing is to solder all connections and DO NOT use the crimp connectors. They are prone to bad electrical connections and can be unreliable. Remember, you are connecting a brake system that your life, or someone else's, may depend upon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast