Question 275/65R18 Goodyear MT/R Tires

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 275/65R18 Goodyear MT/R Tires

Liked
    0 times

Default 275/65R18 Goodyear MT/R Tires

Has anyone seen the new 275/65R18 Goodyear MT/R Tires? I have been thinking about getting the Toyo OC MT in 275/70R18 but did not like the weight at 66 lbs. These Goodyear MT/R's weight 54 lbs and are good tires from my past experience on dedicated offroad vehicles and race trucks. How do you guys think these tires compare to the Toyos for a daily driver that sees offroad use on the weekends? Thanks.
    2007 4x4 DC with 5.7L, Linex Bed Liner, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Floor Liners, and Zoomers exhaust.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

OTR
    Liked
    20 times
    Images

Default Re: 275/65R18 Goodyear MT/R Tires

I've been thinking of these too. I'm between these and the BFG KDM2. I know that Jeep run's the Goodyears on the Rubicon from the factory. I was thinking at looking at a few Jeep forums to see if they are happy with them and see what kind of mileage they are getting out of them.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

a buddy of mine had them on his 01 silverado and they were great tires, only thing was they were a little noisy goin down the highway but they were good tires though...

Liked
    0 times

i had them on my 04 f150. Great looking tire good off road i little loud on the road

Supercharged Member FIVEPOINTSEVEN's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Images

Great tires...My buddy has 37" MTR's on his Rubicon Unlimited. I think he has at least 20k miles on them with pretty good tread wear....

Here it is with the 33" MT-R's...

Here it is with the beastly 37" MT-R's and SO MUCH MORE!
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"

Liked
    16 times

I ran them on my 97 Tacoma. They were 33x12.50 on 15" rims. The truck was mostly used offroad. They are a great tire. I had them on for about 2 years when I sold the truck. They still had about 60% tread left on them. They are not real good in sloppy mud, but do ok with enough wheeelspin to keep them clean. I would of have gotten them for my Tundra, but there were not available in 18's when I bought tires.

Mark
    07 Tundra 5.7 DC Radiant Red TRD
    2" leveling kit 295/70-18 Nitto TerraGrapplers
    Firestone ride-rite airbags
    Rancho 9000XL's out back
    HyperTech Interceptor
    MagnaFlow Exhaust
    AEM BruteForce Intake

Liked
    0 times

They dont have the siping that the Toyos have if i remember correctly. A lot of guys I know didnt like them on the ice for this reason, but Im sure you could buy a hot knife or have them siped for some extra traction if you wanted to.
    2007 Slate Metallic 5.7L Double Cab Tundra TRD 4x4

Liked
    0 times

My brother runs a tire shop and I always get my tires siped anyways so this is not a big deal. It has been my experience that siping offroad tires not only helps with traction in the snow and ice, but also makes the tires a little less noisy on pavement and improves the tread life. The only down side is if you drive on a lot of gravel roads they can get chunked up.

Quote Originally Posted by erg801 View Post
    They dont have the siping that the Toyos have if i remember correctly. A lot of guys I know didnt like them on the ice for this reason, but Im sure you could buy a hot knife or have them siped for some extra traction if you wanted to.
    2007 4x4 DC with 5.7L, Linex Bed Liner, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Floor Liners, and Zoomers exhaust.

Supercharged Member FIVEPOINTSEVEN's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stumpm2 View Post
    My brother runs a tire shop and I always get my tires siped anyways so this is not a big deal. It has been my experience that siping offroad tires not only helps with traction in the snow and ice, but also makes the tires a little less noisy on pavement and improves the tread life. The only down side is if you drive on a lot of gravel roads they can get chunked up.
    The MT/R's are good tires but the 275/65/18 size is only like 32.1" diameter which is basically the same as the stock tires. I wanted more of a 33" so I went with the BFG TA KO's in the 285/65/18's...32.7" diameter and great all around tires. If you do go with the MT/R's you will love them though...They're awesome for serious wheeling.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"

Liked
    0 times

I didn't think Toyo made the MT in that size, only the AT. Did you ever look at the Maxxis Big Horn radial?

Liked
    0 times

The Toyo Mt is 275/70R18 and not 275/65R18, so it is a little taller. The Maxxis Big Horns may be a decent tire, but they are nothing close to Toyo's or the Goodyear MTR's. The difference is tread wear (not cupping) and the ability to easily and consistently be balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by slider112 View Post
    I didn't think Toyo made the MT in that size, only the AT. Did you ever look at the Maxxis Big Horn radial?