20 vs 18 inch wheels?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 20 vs 18 inch wheels?

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default 20 vs 18 inch wheels?

I'm looking at new Tundras and want opinions on the advantages of 20 inch wheels over 18 inch wheels or vice-versa. Thanks.
    deviltundra likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Default Re: 20 vs 18 inch wheels?

Depends what you'll use your truck for. My experience and observations tell me the 18's will work better off road, particularliy if you need to "air-down", like in soft sand.
    deviltundra likes this.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

personally i like 20s, i mean i think the 18s look really small on this truck. i mean i have people come up to me and are like are those 17, or 18 inch rims and im like no those are 20s and they tell me they even look small on my truck to be 20s
    deviltundra likes this.
    -Brad
    07 Tundra DC 5.7L w/ Sports Appearance Pkg
    SUPER WHITE

Mods: Husky Liner Floor Mats~Billet Grill~Pioneer DEH-9800BT head unit~
    Color Keyed Door Handles~Brushed Stainless Step Boards~Tow Mirrors~Truxxx 3'' front 1'' rear Leveling Kit~20x9 Ultra Goliaths Chrome~305/55/20 Pro Comp Xtreme A/T tires~AFE Cold Air Intake~Draw-Tite Hitch~Polk Audio db6501 Component Speakers~Polk Audio db5251 Component Speakers~Rockford Fosgate P3 Shallow Mount 10'' Sub~Alpine PDX-5 Amp~Flowmaster 50 Series - Dual Out w/ 4" rolled tips

My Truck - CarDomain

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by zbfb10 View Post
    personally i like 20s, i mean i think the 18s look really small on this truck. i mean i have people come up to me and are like are those 17, or 18 inch rims and im like no those are 20s and they tell me they even look small on my truck to be 20s
    Brad, I actually had a friend of mine's husband LOOK at the tire to show that they're 20s...he was kind of dumbfounded because they still look kind of small on the truck.

As far as 18s v 20s...I test drove three trucks with 18s and the ride I found was a little smoother (obviously). I had one for a week and got the same kind of gas mileage as I get regularly, so I'm not sure that there is any significant advantage there. I actually bought the truck that I did without test driving it (go figure!), because it had the options and interior that I wanted so it was a done deal for me. The 20s were actually an after-thought. I am very satisfied with how they look though. Just seems more "natural".
    deviltundra likes this.
    TundraDG (aka David)
    2008 Scion tC Flint w/ Black
    2010 Corolla S Black w/ Black (retired 01/17/11)
    07 DCab Ltd 4x4 4.7 Silver w/ Red Rock (retired 07/20/09)
    04 DCab Ltd 4x4 4.7 Green w/ tan (retired 07/16/07)

Liked
    7 times

Well, I'll give a plug for the 18s... I bought mine with 18s and though I may do 20s in the future, the 18s give a great ride overall. You can get a smokin' 18' tire to go with the wheels -- in terms of size, both the 20s and 18s come with ~31inch tires, so it really depends more on the type of tire you get. Get some 33s or 35s and it won't matter too much what rim you have, the tires will look more like they fit the truck. Enjoy!
    deviltundra likes this.
    11 Sienna SE FWD Black!! (Wife's Car)
    07 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 S/C 5.7L SR5 Silver Sky Metallic...
    Is modding ever complete? I think NOT!!

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

IMHO... Stay with the 18" if you are concerned at all about MPG, replacement costs, or towing. I got 1 to 2 mpg better with my 18's. You also have a greater variety of tires to puchase at better prices. Plus, the 18's provide better cushion for towing. The one nice thing that I can say for the larger size wheels are the looks. I think they do look better, but at a sacrafice.
    deviltundra likes this.

Liked
    49 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by airbornedoc View Post
    I'm looking at new Tundras and want opinions on the advantages of 20 inch wheels over 18 inch wheels or vice-versa. Thanks.

The OEM 20's are pretty good looking.

The OEM 18's give a better ride, and MPG, and most importantly you will have many more options on tires (much cheaper too).
    deviltundra likes this.
    2008 Tundra CrewMax Limited 4x4 5.7, White w/ oak leather, Moonroof, NAV, Factory 20's, XM. Level kit, 35 x 12.5 Procomp AT's

2005 Corvette C6 (#581) Coupe 6 spd Black, Loaded, Black Leather, Navigation, HUD, F55 Magnetic ride, Z51 Brakes/calipers/sway-bars, LT Headers, Route 66 Exhaust, Ram Air, Tune, Porting, 160 stat. Only 2 runs at the track...12.2s @119mph

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I have the OEM TRD 18" and I think they are the best looking of the OEM wheels offered other then the 22" TRD. I just wish they came in 20" versions. As for the difference between the 2, I would imagine 18" tires cost a little less.
    deviltundra likes this.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

this truck has so much sheet metal on the side 20" wheels still look like 16". i just put the low range leveling kit (3" in front and 1" in bacK) and i can say that iam ready for some 20's. they just need to make some that dont look stupid or look like a sportscar design. hopefully someone will make a wheel that looks good to me
    AlanB likes this.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I went from OEM 18s to OEM 20s on my truck. Didn't feel a whole lot different, but it definitely looks a LOT better.
    deviltundra likes this.
    '07 Slate Metallic SR5 RCSB
    4.7L V8, 2WD
    TRD Off-Road package
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    Doug Thorley> Headers
    Tundra Racing TR1040 Drop Kit
    OEM Fender Flares
    20" Limited wheels
    Custom dual exhaust system coming soon

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by low c1500 View Post
    The OEM 20's are pretty good looking.

The OEM 18's give a better ride, and MPG, and most importantly you will have many more options on tires (much cheaper too).
    I just went through the process of getting aftermarket wheels for my 08. In the end I went with 18's due to the offroad AT tire choices. If you go with BF Goodrich KO the options are there, but at $300+ a tire no thanks. I couldn't justify an extra $700 for 20' wheels and tires strictly for looks of the wheel.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

wait, how were you guys able to get the 20 inch limited wheels on the SR5 model?

i purchased my SR5 crewmax a few months ago and the dealers I spoke to said they would not let me upgrade to the 20 inch wheels. wtf??!?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm in the middle of the same dilemma 18's or 20's? Does anybody have some good pics comparing the 2? I've got a readylift 3" level kit I'm gonna put on with it.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton49 View Post
    I have the OEM TRD 18" and I think they are the best looking of the OEM wheels offered other then the 22" TRD. I just wish they came in 20" versions. As for the difference between the 2, I would imagine 18" tires cost a little less.
    I have the TRD 18s too, and I agree, they are the best looking OEM 18s for the Tundra. I don't think they look too small, and you have more tire choices for less money.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

I definitely think the 20s look better than the 18s - a lot more proportional. In fact, I'm in the hunt now to find someone who wants to trade their 20s for my TRD 18s. I like the 20s and leather so much I actually regret (a little) not getting a Limited, as opposed to a TRD 4x4 with the SC. Then the SC would have been the great unknown and it would have killed me.

One thing I don't understand: how do the 20s reduce the gas mileage? Can any other owners with those or bigger wheels pipe in? If the pressure, tire diameter and rolling resistance are all the same, I would think fuel efficiency would be the same as well, whether it was a 15" wheel or a 24" wheel. If anything, I would also think that the 20s would have a lower rolling resistance and be better on the gas mileage - I know I'm wrong, but why?
    S/C 2008 Tundra - Banks Monster Exhaust
    2008 5.7 TRD SR5 4X4 DC | TRD Supercharged | Banks Monster single exhaust | Bilstein 5100s | LT275/65R20 Cooper AT3s
    Black Limited 20s | Hellwig Rear Swaybar | Black Headlight Mod | Line-X

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast