Sweet sweet smell - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
U didn't get an I-FORCE 5.7...

Sweet sweet smell

For several weeks I've noticed a very sweet smell coming from the grill area. I notice it when I pull in my garage and walk around the front of my truck. BAM--there it is.
I've had it to the dealer twice and they've searched top and bottom and can not find any coolant leaks--was hoping it was the water pump and would be an easy fix under warranty--gotta love the platinum warranty!
The "pink" Toyota coolant leaves a flaky residue according to the master tech and shouldn't be hard to find.
I have not replaced/added any coolant yet but I did put a mark on the overflow tank and it is dropping every so slightly. Radiator is always full.
The smell seems the strongest around the top radiator hose but again I don't see any signs of a leak. I do have a killerglass radiator hose fwiw.
No coolant in the engine oil or vice versa. Put on a new radiator cap but didn't change anything.

I do have the SC but that reservoir shows full.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone experienced this before? I'm not sure what else to do or look for.
Possibly something minor in the radiator which is hard to see with the fan behind and the SC inter-cooler in front?

Performance: 5.7L, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Supercharger added Nov. '13

Exterior: Power Fold Limited Mirrors, 2010 Limited grill, Clear lens headlight covers; Westin side steps; Ventvisors-in channel, Spray in liner, Rancho shocks 9000xl front and rear, Silverstar high beams & fog lights, Polarg low beams, TRD oil cap, Chrome door handles, Remote start, TRD rear sway bar, TruXedo Tonneau, 305_50R20 on Alcoa 20x9 +50 Ivan Stewart wheels.

Interior: Factory Heated Seats, Back up camera, Auto Climate Control, Factory NAV, Leather wrapped steering wheel with functioning audio/bluetooth controls, Optitron Gauges, Limited instrument panel and door handles, MPG display enabled, Weathertech floor mats, Sport Pedals, Home Link/Auto-dim rear view mirror and 35% side window tint.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Sweet sweet smell

You must have hit a honey badger.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Garage

I think you are on the right track with the coolant and a leak. Sounds like its only present after you drive it and the whole system is up to temp and pressure. Had that happen before on another vehicle and it ultimately was the head gasket.

With that said, you mentioned one change that caught my attention which is the Killerglass radiator hose. I'd really give that a closer look. Suspecting a pinhole leak that only occurs when the system is hot and under pressure. What type of hose clamps did you use? Factory or "worm gear" style? If it were me, I'd change the radiator hose back to stock then give it the sniff test for a couple of days.

*** 2007 Black Tundra CrewMax 5.7 liter SR5 4x4 with TRD and tow packages. Old Man Emu 3/1 complete lift with Toyo Open Country M/T's - 285x75x18's. Hypertech speedo recalibrator. Ultra Motorsports 18" black rims with silver accents. N-Fab 6-step, wheel to wheel black nerf bars. G-Tek radiator air-dam and door sill protectors. Arma Coatings spray in bedliner and bumpers by On The Road Trucks in Rocklin, CA. De-badged. Black grill surround. RBP black exhaust tip. Air Lift 5000 air bags with WirelessOne remote. Amp Research bed step.
*** 2008 Flint Mica Yaris aka: Vios 'S' sedan. TRD lowering springs, TRD cold air intake, TRD anti-sway bar for the rear, TRD Sportivo rear shocks and front struts. Tinted windows all the way around, Tanabe front shock tower brace, 17" rims - Samurai SC02 Hyper Black. Megan Racing header.
*** 2009 Salsa Red Corolla 'S' 5-speed manual.Wife's ride. Back windows tinted, but otherwise stock.
*** 2003 Silver Corolla 'S'. Daughters ride. Totally stock.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Factory clamps. Mechanic told me they are prone to losing clamping power over time. Truck will be turning 8 in a couple months or so.
I'm hoping it wouldn't be something like a head gasket. Had that happen on my son's car but it had trouble heating etc...
Since the smell is only up front at/near the radiator, I'm hoping it's like you said, a pin hole.

I really should trade out the hose. That would be a fairly simple fix and peace of mind!

Thanks for the reply! Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention and it was important...The mechanic let me use his coolant pressure test kit since it needed to be cold. It held 16lbs. I left it on for a few minutes so that tells me something is going on when it warms up. Just don't understand why I'm not seeing the coolant somewhere...although it may be minor at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
I think you are on the right track with the coolant and a leak. Sounds like its only present after you drive it and the whole system is up to temp and pressure. Had that happen before on another vehicle and it ultimately was the head gasket.

With that said, you mentioned one change that caught my attention which is the Killerglass radiator hose. I'd really give that a closer look. Suspecting a pinhole leak that only occurs when the system is hot and under pressure. What type of hose clamps did you use? Factory or "worm gear" style? If it were me, I'd change the radiator hose back to stock then give it the sniff test for a couple of days.

Exterior: Power Fold Limited Mirrors, 2010 Limited grill, Clear lens headlight covers; Westin side steps; Ventvisors-in channel, Spray in liner, Rancho shocks 9000xl front and rear, Silverstar high beams & fog lights, Polarg low beams, TRD oil cap, Chrome door handles, Remote start, TRD rear sway bar, TruXedo Tonneau, 305_50R20 on Alcoa 20x9 +50 Ivan Stewart wheels.

Interior: Factory Heated Seats, Back up camera, Auto Climate Control, Factory NAV, Leather wrapped steering wheel with functioning audio/bluetooth controls, Optitron Gauges, Limited instrument panel and door handles, MPG display enabled, Weathertech floor mats, Sport Pedals, Home Link/Auto-dim rear view mirror and 35% side window tint.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 AM

Garage

Welcome! Glad to hear you're using the factory clamps. With the info about the coolant pressure test kit (system cold), that tips me even more to the idea of a pressure created pinhole leak above and beyond the 16 psi of the cold test. At temp and pressure, it's going to be steam and not "water" like dripping from a faulty water pump. Most likely it's not even leaving any residue making it that much harder to visually detect. I would not recommend trying to find it by hand. Go with the hose change and smell what happens.

*** 2007 Black Tundra CrewMax 5.7 liter SR5 4x4 with TRD and tow packages. Old Man Emu 3/1 complete lift with Toyo Open Country M/T's - 285x75x18's. Hypertech speedo recalibrator. Ultra Motorsports 18" black rims with silver accents. N-Fab 6-step, wheel to wheel black nerf bars. G-Tek radiator air-dam and door sill protectors. Arma Coatings spray in bedliner and bumpers by On The Road Trucks in Rocklin, CA. De-badged. Black grill surround. RBP black exhaust tip. Air Lift 5000 air bags with WirelessOne remote. Amp Research bed step.
*** 2008 Flint Mica Yaris aka: Vios 'S' sedan. TRD lowering springs, TRD cold air intake, TRD anti-sway bar for the rear, TRD Sportivo rear shocks and front struts. Tinted windows all the way around, Tanabe front shock tower brace, 17" rims - Samurai SC02 Hyper Black. Megan Racing header.
*** 2009 Salsa Red Corolla 'S' 5-speed manual.Wife's ride. Back windows tinted, but otherwise stock.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Put on a new upper and lower radiator hose and nothing changed unfortunately. Smell is still there and honestly when you put your nose close to the top rad hose, it smells like it's coming through the hose. Maybe the smell is just circulating and settles on the rubber, IDK. There's also a small hose that connects to the throttle body and it has a very strong sweet smell but again, no leaks that I can detect. I guess I'll just keep driving and whatever it is will eventually get bad enough to show itself. I don't smell anything inside so I don't think it's the heater core--carpet isn't wet. I only smell it at the front of the vehicle and specifically on the hoses. If anyone has any other ideas on what to look for, let me know.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Supporter

If the coolant level is still dropping slowly it has to be a leak somewhere (I know, that's obvious). The level in the reserve tank will change with temperature so always do your comparisons at the same temp, either a hot or a cold engine.
If the smell is primarily in the area of the radiator you need to eliminate that as a possibility. Radiator leaks aren't all that common but unfortunately they do happen.

07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
Toyota SS steps
ARE MX cap
AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
Weathertech Floor Liners
Weathertech Vent Visors
Ultragauge EM
Cooper Discoverer AT3's
Techstream

CBTMA member
aip override 1.1.pdf
Block Off Plate
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

I smell it coming through the grill when I turn the truck off. When I open the hood and smell around the front of the rad, I don't smell it. I do smell it like it's coming through the top rad hose and the small hose on the passenger side that connects to the throttle body. It's like the hoses are "bleeding" coolant but no visible leaks, no residue that I can see anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendonsy View Post
If the coolant level is still dropping slowly it has to be a leak somewhere (I know, that's obvious). The level in the reserve tank will change with temperature so always do your comparisons at the same temp, either a hot or a cold engine.
If the smell is primarily in the area of the radiator you need to eliminate that as a possibility. Radiator leaks aren't all that common but unfortunately they do happen.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:13 AM

Garage

Are you pretty sure it's not residual coolant that is still "cooking" off?
Still smell it only after the whole system is up to normal operating temp?
Radiator cap?

Trying for some out-of-the-box ideas here: how about using some liquid soap like Dawn and a small paint brush and 'paint' the liquid soap around the suspected areas and see if you get bubbles? Like checking for a puncture of a bike inner tube in a bucket of water.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Garage

I found this doing a quick search, it may help you to find that problem. It says the dye is available at NAPA stores. Good Luck.

Using “Radiator Dye” to find coolant leaks | ChickenRoadLabs

2014 Tundra Double Cab Limited 4x4. Sunset Bronze Mica with tan leather. Color matched Toyota OEM fender flares. Line-X. Lund Crossroads running boards. Tonno Pro hard tri fold tonneau cover. BFG All Terrain T/A KO2's 275/60/20 on factory Limited wheels. Flowmaster Force II stainless steel side exit dual exhaust. AFE Pro Dry S drop in air filter. Husky weatherbeater floor liners.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Definitely worth a try. I'll check with the local parts stores and see if they have it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Tundra View Post
I found this doing a quick search, it may help you to find that problem. It says the dye is available at NAPA stores. Good Luck.

Using “Radiator Dye” to find coolant leaks | ChickenRoadLabs

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

I'm stumped. I've had the truck for going on 8 years and it wasn't until several weeks ago I started smelling it.
It's enough, that when I get home from work and close the garage doors, you can smell it.
My brother walked into my garage about 5 minutes after I got home from work and said, "what's that smell, it's kinda sweet?"

I put a new radiator cap on it hoping it was that but no luck.
I have the platinum warranty so I have a few months left for that plus I have it documented with my dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Are you pretty sure it's not residual coolant that is still "cooking" off?
Still smell it only after the whole system is up to normal operating temp?
Radiator cap?

Trying for some out-of-the-box ideas here: how about using some liquid soap like Dawn and a small paint brush and 'paint' the liquid soap around the suspected areas and see if you get bubbles? Like checking for a puncture of a bike inner tube in a bucket of water.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I'm wondering now if it could be related to the supercharger since it uses the same "pink" coolant as the cooling system.

Anyone know if the coolant reservoir for the SC should ever get bubbles with the cap on?
I realize it has a pump and will swirl the coolant as it circulates but I remember one day removing the cap after the truck had sat for a while and seen a few bubbles.
If that's a sealed unit, it shouldn't have bubbles, right?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Supporter

Dunno anything about the SC system so that brings up some questions. Do they both use the same Toyota pink coolant? Are the systems separate or connected somehow?

07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
Toyota SS steps
ARE MX cap
AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
Weathertech Floor Liners
Weathertech Vent Visors
Ultragauge EM
Cooper Discoverer AT3's
Techstream

CBTMA member
aip override 1.1.pdf
Block Off Plate
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

They use the same pink coolant and are not connected in any way, completely separate systems. The SC has an intercooler that sits right in front of the radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendonsy View Post
Dunno anything about the SC system so that brings up some questions. Do they both use the same Toyota pink coolant? Are the systems separate or connected somehow?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page