how to disable daytime running lights 07 tundra - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: how to disable daytime running lights 07 tundra

Liked
    216 times

Default Re: how to disable daytime running lights 07 tundra

CER II - You are confused about what your different lights are called and how they operate. Your DRLs are your headlights BUT ONLY WITH REDUCED INTENSITY. The lights in the bumper are FOG LIGHTS.
    Attached is a .PDF copy of the 2002 Tundra Owner's Manual section pertaining to lights & wipers. On page 80 is a description of exactly how the DRLs and headlights function. On page 82 is a description of the fog light operation.

2002 Tundra Owner's Manual.pdf

If your truck doesn't operate as described in the Owner's Manual then somebody (previous owner?) has modified it somehow. As originally built, the FOG LIGHTS (when turned on with the dash mounted switch) will automatically shut off IF you turn on the headlight high beams. There are numerous posts here on TS about how to modify this to allow fog lights to operate as driving lights WITH the high beams on.

You can access the entire Tundra Owner's Manual for free by registering on the Toyota Owners website and entering the VIN of your truck.
    http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home
    You can also get all repairs/maintenance previously performed by any Toyota Dealer once registered.
    Last edited by marvbest; 06-07-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    "You can lead a smart-ass kid to knowledge, but you can be sure that he'll have to argue with the facts"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    7 times

Has anyone done a MOD where they have made the DRL optional, without completely disabling them? I don't mind them on trips etc but driving around town I would rather have them off, just curious if anyone ever modified them to work as a plug in play or a switch?

Liked
    20 times
    Images

DRL won't on if E brake on. Should check on that.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by CER II View Post
    I need help. I have a 02 Tundra Limited. My DRLs are the main headlights. Which come on after the engine is started and truck placed in gear. The lights that come on when the light switch is turned on are the "running" lights in the bottom of the bumper.Is this correct or has something been changed by a previous owner? There isn't any way for me to turn the main headlights off while driving. I always drive with the lights on but there are times like driving through a campground at night where the main lights might bother someone. It would be nice to be able not to have them burning bright and disturbing other campers.
    Thanks Frank
    My '03 limited has a plug that is located on top of the driver side wheel well under the hood right beside the battery. It's light grey in color and unplugs very easily and this plug disables the drl's only and doesn't affect any other lights on the truck. Also, you don't have to cut anything and risk shorting out the electrical system. Hope this helps.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My '03 limited has a plug that is located on top of the driver side wheel well under the hood right beside the battery. It's light grey in color and unplugs very easily and this plug disables the drl's only and doesn't affect any other lights on the truck. Also, you don't have to cut anything and risk shorting out the electrical system. Hope this helps.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

Or you can buy a turn signal flasher from Toyota for a Tundra "without DRL's" and get the same results. This way you don't have to cut wires and if you decide you want them back, you just replace the original component. Cost is about $70.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

This only works on Gen I Tundra's. Gen II this does not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by BSRed View Post

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

I feel the more light the better. So....
    I have a 2012 Tundra and would like to install LED driving lights/running lights/directioinal lights in the bumpers so that they will work in conjunction with the amber lights above near the head lights. I'd like to tie into the circuit that powers the lights. I could tap into the wires near the lights, but I wonder if there is a way to access the circuit from the connectors to keep the taps out from under the hood near the front of the vehicle? Is J29 the connector? And if so, what color wire(s) do I need to tap into? Thanks
    Last edited by Yaesu; 06-10-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Liked
    12 times

I do not see what the big deal is about turning off the DRL's. You can't see them from inside the cab, so why turn off something that makes you more visible to other vehicles around you???
    RitcheyRch likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

It's a safety issue for DRL's. Aren't they mandatory in Canada of is that just a rumor? Anyway, I prefer the safety of being move visible to other drivers, so a "cheap" way to get DRL's is to just turn on your headlights and leave them on. They automatically turn off when you turn off the truck, shut the doors and walk away. Don't every have to worry (unless you forget to shut the last door).

Liked
    10 times

amen brother -----you said it best

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Does this work for all tundras or just the 2007??? I need to disable them on my 2012 and am wondering if this will work.. Thanks

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by toolowtrh View Post
    I do not see what the big deal is about turning off the DRL's. You can't see them from inside the cab, so why turn off something that makes you more visible to other vehicles around you???
    When I see other Tundras with just DRLs on, I'm a little disgusted. I don't want other people disgusted by my truck...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nolip View Post
    Does this work for all tundras or just the 2007??? I need to disable them on my 2012 and am wondering if this will work.. Thanks
    Nevermind!!! Already did it and it worked like a charm... Thanks tundra solutions!!!

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by bjman View Post
    It's a safety issue for DRL's. Aren't they mandatory in Canada of is that just a rumor? Anyway, I prefer the safety of being move visible to other drivers, so a "cheap" way to get DRL's is to just turn on your headlights and leave them on. They automatically turn off when you turn off the truck, shut the doors and walk away. Don't every have to worry (unless you forget to shut the last door).
    The thing I don't like about that, is it dims my clock on the dash and the green lights for the A/C and defroster, as well as turns the lights on on the A/C knobs. I don't have the stock radio but I assume the lights for those buttons would come on too. Not a fan of that...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast