Oil Cap Went missing!? Any risk to engine?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Oil Cap Went missing!? Any risk to engine?

Liked
    0 times

Default Oil Cap Went missing!? Any risk to engine?

I just happened to open my hood tonight on my 2008 DC, and I notice a light spray of oil over my engine cover and on the battery cover. I notice that my oil reservoir is missing the cap! I had my oil changed for the first time a few weeks ago, but it doesn't seem like I could have gone this long with it missing and not noticed something awry.

I checked the skidplate and engine compartment, but it was nowhere to be found. I checked my oil level, and it seemed okay (about 65% between the two dots on the dipstick). And my oil pressure was okay, but I hate to think how long I've been driving like this.

What should I do to prevent any further possible damage? Or is this not a big deal and I can just get a new cap? I'll go to the lube shop and have them top me off and check everything, of course.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Oil Cap Went missing!? Any risk to engine?

Put a new cap on it and move on.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1524 times

As long as your level was good, nothing to worry about.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey View Post
    I just happened to open my hood tonight on my 2008 DC, and I notice a light spray of oil over my engine cover and on the battery cover. I notice that my oil reservoir is missing the cap! I had my oil changed for the first time a few weeks ago, but it doesn't seem like I could have gone this long with it missing and not noticed something awry.

I checked the skidplate and engine compartment, but it was nowhere to be found. I checked my oil level, and it seemed okay (about 65% between the two dots on the dipstick). And my oil pressure was okay, but I hate to think how long I've been driving like this.

What should I do to prevent any further possible damage? Or is this not a big deal and I can just get a new cap? I'll go to the lube shop and have them top me off and check everything, of course.
    The caps don't fall off by themselves. The dealer (or whoever) did not replace your cap. They do this every day. Not a big deal, but check your oil level and make sure it's OK. If it's low, make an angry phone call to the place that changed your oil. Then wipe your motor down and move on.

The advice I give to those who, for understandable reasons, do not wish to change their own oil, they are still responsible for 3 things:

1. CHECK THAT THE CORRECT OIL WAS PUT IN YOUR VEHICLE!!!!
    2. CHECK THAT THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF OIL WAS PUT IN YOUR VEHICLE!!!
    3 CHECK THAT YOUR OIL CAP IS IN PLACE!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've read horror stories about oil changes involving all 3 steps listed above. At dealerships, there's basically very little profit in oil changes, thus they must be done quickly, by low-paid trainees.
    2007 SR5 CrewMax, SiLver w/5.7 V8
    >Bakflip Tonneau Cover.
    >Rampage Running Boards.
    >Heavy Duty 6 ft. Rubber Bed Mat
    out of my 2000 Tundra cut to fit!

Liked
    1 times

I had the dealer forget the cap when I had my 2004 Tacoma. I found it after a week of driving in dusty conditions down Alaska's back roads. I was pissed.

With that cap removed, you now have an open hole leading right into your VERY EXPENSIVE engine. When it happened to me, I drove the truck right down to t dealer and had them change the oil right then and there with synthetic as opposed to conventional. Along with that, they gave me 2 free oil changes (not asked for).

I would change the oil at a minimum. Debris in engine oil = bad.
    Last edited by sledhead907; 12-03-2008 at 09:40 PM.
    2008 5.7L DC Limited TRD / Slate Metallic with Grey Leather interior / fully de-badged / Low Range 3/1 with Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/70R18 --- 19.2mpg over 450 miles averaging 57mph!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    19 times

The oil cap will not come loose on it's own. Someone forgot to put it back on...period. There was a discussion on this Forum about a year ago about the same problem. The guy it happened to (dealer forgot the cap) had a lot of damage to his engine as a result. Do a search, you may find it. Since it was quite awhile between your dealer service and noticing the missing cap, I am sure the dealer will deny any claims that it was their fault. Just another valid reason to DIY!
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LeeinAZ View Post
    Just another valid reason to DIY!
    Yes the oil change may be easy to DIY, but won't that void the warranty?
    If it doens't void the warranty does it result in problems with maintanence records when it comes to warranty repairs?
    BHLM--- Color matched tailgate handle mirrors &grille surround --- HID 6000k headlights & V-LEDS 6000k led fog lights --- 2-12" Cerwin Vega Subs & Hifonics Titan amp --- Audiovox back up camera & mirror monitor --- Hella LED tail lights with VHT spray tint --- Tundra Racing drop TR-2050R 2" - 5" --- BMW style LED door-handle mod --- Blue LED sawp Gauges & HVAC ---Borla muffler & Magnaflow X pipe --- TRD SwayBar --- Debadged --- aFe dry intake kit --- MPG info mod --- V-LEDS FRONT, REAR turn signals, 8W cargo & reverse LEDs

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

On my last oil change, the dealer forgot to close the hood. I got out on the highway and hit about 50mph and the hood started to sloooowly rise.
    2008 Toyota Tundra XSP DC 4x4 Slate

Veteran Member
    Liked
    19 times

Yes the oil change may be easy to DIY, but won't that void the warranty?
    If it doens't void the warranty does it result in problems with maintanence records when it comes to warranty repairs?
    Owner Maintenance is outlined in the Owner's Manual. Whenever I do anything to my truck I log it in the Service Record book, date and sign it. I also keep a records in the Service Records on Toyota Owners Online: Toyota Owners Online | Official Toyota Owners Website

I also save my receipts for oil, filters, etc. My Tundra has never had any warranty work done, but I did the same DIY maintenance with my Silverado and it went back for warranty work at least 2 or 3 times a year and it was never an issue.
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

Liked
    2 times

A few years back I had a Ford F150 with the 5.4 Triton in it.

The shop forgot to put my cap back on and they offered to do an engine check on it for me, turns out I needed a new engine. It was a royal pain in the *** to get it done and they put in a remanufactured engine which pissed me off.

I would take it back and make them pay to check it out top to bottom