Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Time to purchase a winch.......?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  imcougar 
#1 ·
For those looking to get a winch on the cheap, Harbor Freight has some good deals right now.
I found the 10,000 lb winch for $320 bucks.

Its currently listed for $400, and there are some 20% off coupons around, which brought the price down to $320....not too bad for a 10k lb winch.

Granted its a HF winch, but really, how much does one use the winch? I know about quality and I've had the Ramsey and Warn winches on my past Rock Crawlers, but since I won't be doing lots of off-roading in my Tundra, I think this will fit the bill.

I'm planning on making a hard mount to place behind the stock bumper. Basically, the winch will be hidden behind the stock bumper, with just the roller fairlead showing that there is a winch in there. It will take some designing and welding, but based on my past projects, it shouldn't be anything outside of my skills.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do acouple hard pulls with it and you be back to Warn real fast.
I used one of them as a rear mount on a Wrangler and it dropped its balls after about 4-5 pulls.That Jeep now has two Warn's and they flat pull :cool:

#4 ·
You probably won't use it often, but that one time you need it, you'll want it to work. I love Harbor Freight hand tools, cause they have a lifetime warranty and are cheap. I have never had much success with any power tools from them. I honestly think you would be better off buying a come-along if you are trying to save money.

#5 ·
I'm planning on making a hard mount to place behind the stock bumper. Basically, the winch will be hidden behind the stock bumper, with just the roller fairlead showing that there is a winch in there. It will take some designing and welding, but based on my past projects, it shouldn't be anything outside of my skills.
:tu: Post pics if you do. I've been thinking about doing something similar.

#6 ·
I've donr the come-along before, and even with a lighter truck; didn't work. From what I've read, they either work or they don't work. If it doesn't work, the warranty will cover that. If it does work, I'm way ahead.

#7 ·
From my experience with Harbor, they tend to get equipment that is very "light duty", to put it nicely. I do use some of their stuff of course, but something as critical as a winch and the need to have it work in what could be a do-or-die situation, I'd pay the bucks to have the confidence.

#8 ·
i had a harbor frieght winch on my rock crawler when i bought it last year .. i used it the first time i had the truck on the trail and though it worked it was a total POS i would return it and buy a warn 9.5 or if price is a issue buy a smittybuilt i got my smittybuilt for $200 on craigslist new in box or wait till there is a off road expo in your area because there are ususally great deals there

#9 ·
from a fairly hardcore jeeper's perspective.

harbor freight is made by mile marker. and last time i checked ramsey makes/owns mile marker. just like tabor is the cheap version of warn. hell 90% of all the winches made come out of the Zhejiang region in china and most share the same guts. maybe its scary i know that lol. but if you are comfortable with a 50/50 shot of not getting it warrantied if it breaks for that price go for it. but i will tell you i have heard the same story from tons of people. bought a HF winch, used it twice and it stopped working. took it back and got the run around and in the end left with a broken winch. if its worth it to you to possible be SOL go for it.

we only use warn, yeah its made in china but its the us customer service that makes it our choice. we do a lot of rock crawling and warn has never let us down. we had a suckdown unit go bad in pa two years ago. called warn the next day and they called quadratech who had the model we used in stock and was the closest to us. the warn rep had it next day'd to us. thats why we use warn

good luck

#10 ·
Hard-core.... This is what I'm not anymore. I used to be more hard-core than 85% of the 4Wheelers out there. I've designed and built my own front suspension for my 4Runner, and used the Warn maybe a few times. Now that I'm no longer "hard core", I don't need the ultra expensive stuff anymore.

#11 ·
working on a a one ton swap on a 90 4runner for the SE4RJ in may. motor swap, running propane, crawlbox, full cage, etc. sometimes i feel ive got more cutting disks than common sense lol.

hardcore aside the USFS, BLM, USGS, and yes competitive rock crawlers from the rubicon to rausch creek use warn because of the reliability. i know people that have not used their warn for a year or two but when they needed it, it works. as a fabricator and wheeler with over a decade of experience i wouldn't put my *** on the line with anything but warn. hf winches are priced the way they are for a reason.

oh btw - 540$

Warn Winch M8000 Winch w/Roller Fairlead

the hf is 330$ right? lol. good luck. maybe your the exception and have flawless service from your hf winch.

:D

#12 ·
warn is the way to go. had it on my Xterra and have it on my Tundra. never let me down. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.