Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Toyota Will Replace Pedals For Unhappy Owners

17K views 164 replies 86 participants last post by  los211 
#1 ·
#27 ·
I'm in the same boat. Got my pedal "fixed" last Wednesday. Going back this Thursday since the pedal flops so bad now that it's pretty much uncontrollable on rough roads.
I just got a call from the dealer today, the new replacement pedal is on the way. I was really unhappy with the lame *** shim joke, especially after going off road. I did have to call Toyota and complain about it though. I agree, the shim is not the fix!!!!!
Had shims installed on 3/11. Took it back 4 days later to complain about "springy" pedal and pedal bounce on rough roads. The assistant service manager I spoke to has a Tundra and had the shims installed and said he didn't feel anything different and hadn't received any complaints. Asked him to order a new pedal. Had it installed today and while I was waiting, the same person I talked to about the complaint said that ever since I told him about the problems with the shim fix, he noticed the same thing about his pedal and would get a new pedal! The new pedal feels great and has no bounce or "springy" feel. I didn't ask who the pedal manufacturer is. I wouldn't know which one is better anyway. All I know is, this was the right fix. Glad I had it done.
Man I am glad I am not the only one! I said the same thing that it felt too springy, and the throttle was out of control on any road with moderate bumps, read every road, and the dealer said I was the first person to complain. Anyway, got a new shim, the installer said the wrong one was in there, and it was a little better, but still very springy. I will be calling Monday to request my new pedal.

I love this forum!

#28 ·
Getting ready to have service done on the ship. Thanks for the info on the pedal fix. My service manager is a pain to deal with. Need some good fire power to hold him to his job. bilztrd do you have the 800# because I also have another problem with my tires that he won't take carer of. Need to push some buttons. Thanks and Later.

#30 ·
Well guys just got new tires put on at the dealer, only because I was on the tire rewards program. Well they called me and said the truck was ready and the recall was taken care of...I was like What the what!!!!!!! I don't want the ded gum recall taken care of! anyways drove the truck around and I can(as of right now) not tell a difference...My dealer has always been great at what they do, to be honest customers come first there so maybe the installation of the shim has something to do with the person that installs it...Long story short I was pissed at first but can't tell a difference now so its whatever, I guess if something goes wrong in the future I'll just have to get a new pedal...

#32 ·
Over a year ago I took my Tundra to the dealer complaining the gas pedal wasn't smooth while pushing it DOWN...especially while going slow around residential streets...I wanted them to order one before I came in for the repair but they refused...took it in and told the mechanic to push it down with his hand and feel how it sticks...he immediately agreed and order one....$110 I was told......I now have that pedal in my truck with NO reason to go back unless I feel it sticking again......don't want no shim / back yard repair done on my truck.

But anyways, here's the kicker...they gave me NO PAPER work on this repair but said they would mail it to me....NEVER received anything from them.

Bob

#33 ·
so it looks like for now, the only way to get new pedal is install the shim, drive back in and have them order the full gas pedal. Call 800 toyota corp and they won't budge....gotta go through the "process"...how stupid is that? twice the labor...just replace the gas pedal if customer requested it... (probably american managment idea now)..

#37 ·
Brought mine back last Thursday. Service writer told me that I was the 1st person to complain about the pedal feel. I told him regardless, I need this fixed. He said he would order a new pedal, but had no idea how long it would take to get because it's such an "unusual" part. Right! I'm getting so tired of dealing with these people. It's been 5 days now and still haven't heard back from my service writer. Thinking of calling the 800 number to vent! :(

#38 ·
I had mine "shimmed" a couple of days after I bought it. If I remember correctly it was a 2.3mm Anyway, it feels fine to me. It is hard for me to tell the difference since I only had it for 2 days.

So, has anyone else noticed the sharp decrease in "incidents" now that that Prius guy in California has been exposed as a scammer? Hmmmm....

#39 ·
Got a call from dealer this morning. The new one is in. Going in around 3 to have it changed out.

If you get on a bumpy road(off road terms -whoops, whoopty doos,Etc) you will feel the truck accelerate as your foot moves up and down with the truck. Very little resistance on the pedal.

#40 ·
Got a call from dealer this morning. The new one is in. Going in around 3 to have it changed out.

If you get on a bumpy road(off road terms -whoops, whoopty doos,Etc) you will feel the truck accelerate as your foot moves up and down with the truck. Very little resistance on the pedal.
Let me know what you find out. my stock pedal does this and it psises me off. Happens a lot over the speed humps and in particular on a few roads I drive over.

-rockstate

#42 ·
Took mine into the dealer this morning, had the same pedal bounce, very springy. The dealer gave me no problem, brought it in and changed it while I waited, took like 20 min. Feels great now, nice and firm like it should be.

#43 ·
God help you in Canada:
Called my dealer in Regina Saskatchewan; "there is nothing we can do"
Called Toyota Canada "there is nothing we can do - your report has been recorded - go see your dealer". Maybe someday there will be a fix but until then ... see yah later sucker!
If you got the $.75 mod done; have no pedal resistance change and are happy congrats but this feeling results in me constantly "think" about how I feather the accelerator when I drive it now - this truck used to make me stop thinking about frustrating things.
Oh What A Feeling ... Toyota :td: yah ... not so much!!!!!

#44 ·
Took mine into the dealer this morning, had the same pedal bounce, very springy. The dealer gave me no problem, brought it in and changed it while I waited, took like 20 min. Feels great now, nice and firm like it should be.
Firm like they USED to be back in the day when they were drivebycable or firm like it used to be before you brought it in to be done?

I don't feel as if the pedals these days are firm enough - or maybe all the newer cars have more power! haha

-rockstate

#45 ·
I feel the gas pedal stiffer after they shimmed it... my foot get tired with the fix.. I didn't feel that way before the fix.

I'm going to bring it back and complain, hope they give me new gas pedal.
new pedal is stiff/firm just like the old one after being shimmed

#46 ·
God help you in Canada:
Called my dealer in Regina Saskatchewan; "there is nothing we can do"
Called Toyota Canada "there is nothing we can do - your report has been recorded - go see your dealer". Maybe someday there will be a fix but until then ... see yah later sucker!
If you got the $.75 mod done; have no pedal resistance change and are happy congrats but this feeling results in me constantly "think" about how I feather the accelerator when I drive it now - this truck used to make me stop thinking about frustrating things.
Oh What A Feeling ... Toyota :td: yah ... not so much!!!!!
Can't you sign the waiver and have them remove the shim in Canada???

#47 ·
i had the fix done and went back to the dealership. make sure you take the article with you as i probably wouldnt have got a replacement - this may have been before dealerships heard about it. i also dont think they have another pedal (desno) they can replace it with. but all the new pedals should have the same size shim, which is what they tested on probably. of course they have no pedals at any of the "depots" and will call me when they find something out.

#48 ·
Got the new pedal on tuesday. Feels as smooth as the my original with the shim mod. except it doesn't seem to be as mushy(soft). So far I haven't noticed the surge probelm on rough roads .Time will tell.
Push,Push,Push and then scream for a new pedal. Don't let them waste your time with the shim mod.

Anyone know about an upcoming campaign (90L I believe) to remove padding under our carpet and shorten the pedal on the Tundras?

#50 ·
I feel the gas pedal stiffer after they shimmed it... my foot get tired with the fix.. I didn't feel that way before the fix.

I'm going to bring it back and complain, hope they give me new gas pedal.
Same here. Got recall done, they shimmed it and now it feels stiffer. The pedal is kinda sticks out more than before and my foot is getting tired from that.
Will drive it around a little more, but so far I am not to happy about that fix.

#51 ·
I called my dealer about two weeks ago when I finally got my recall notice. I aready knew that Toyota said if people were not happy with the fix, they could get new pedals. I told my dealer I would make an appointment for the shim fix but wanted a new pedal when they were availible. He said he would find out when he would have new pedals and call me back.

An hour later he called said new pedals would be in St. Louis mid April. He said no need to come in for the shim, just wait tell April for the New pedal. I do have 2010 Dc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.