Sheet metal thickness??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheet metal thickness??

Veteran Member
    Liked
    14 times

Default Sheet metal thickness??

Sorry if this has been posted, but does any one know for fact the sheet metal thickness (gauge) that Toyota-Nissan_Dodge-Chev/Gmc-Ford uses on their current year models/ Different gauge on tail gate/bed sides doors/ fenders. What about the bed floor? Anybody have any info???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    14 times

Default Re: Sheet metal thickness??

Anybody???

Liked
    177 times
    Images

Don't know ,but its a lot thinner than my 72 dodge. Wish I had a picture of that old truck. Paid 500$ for it & could have put it in a mad max movie. You could smack the hood with your fist & it was like hitting an oak tree. Wonder if someone built a special edition truck w/super thick metal like that if it would sell? Somethan someone might try w/truck sales down like they are.
    Last edited by waiting tundra; 05-09-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

You should change your thread title to "sheet metal THINness"

Like soda cans...all of these new trucks.
    09 Tundra DC 4x4

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by waiting tundra View Post
    Don't know ,but its a lot thinner than my 72 dodge. Wish I had a picture of that old truck. Paid 500$ for it & could have put it in a mad max movie. You could smack the hood with your fist & it was like hitting an oak tree. Wonder if someone built a special edition truck w/super thick metal like that if it would sell? Somethan someone might try w/truck sales down like they are.
    Had a 72 Ford that was the same way. The new ones you can dent with your finger.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

Yep, sheet metal in new trucks can also be used for baked potatos. :crazy:

Banned
    Liked
    0 times

yah, just wrap the truck's metal up like aluminum foil and bake them potatoes. Tundra wrapped baked potatoes - yummy in my tummy.

Over the past years, I also have noticed Chevy trucks, especially on the roof when washing by hand, you have to be very careful nowadays to NOT dent the roof by just hand washing the roof pillar. Back 10 years ago, the roof's sheet metal would not puncture in like they all do nowadays. Yet another example of vehicles becoming lighter and cheaper built, yet all the mfgs. want to raise the price every year by 500 bucks or more. Pretty soon if this price increase keeps up (2-3% per year), vehicles will cost more than my house did at 75K 16 years ago new. If anything since they are being made cheaper and cheaper, the price should be going down don't you all think?

Liked
    1 times

Thanks to Greenpeace and all of the other dim-witted do-gooders, all automobiles have to be lighter in order to gain fuel efficiency. So now if you're in a small car, you're driving a deathtrap, trucks aren't trucks anymore, and all cars suffer major damage in a serious accident.

Liked
    1526 times

To answer the original question, my guess is 22 gauge.

Liked
    316 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs View Post
    To answer the original question, my guess is 22 gauge.
    Good guess. That's about the average. I measured several spots where I could get a caliper on a single layer of metal and came up with anywhere from 20 ga (inner tailgate) to 24 ga (inner hood).
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Banned
    Liked
    0 times

Nothing like a good old 70's or 80's car for running into something and not having to have the car totaled like nowadays on all vehicles made. Airbags and even seat belts have come a long way though and mfg's. believe these 2 items save more lives than actual decent sheet metal. I'd like to see a new lincoln town car or similar big new car that size run up against our 1986 caprice classic? Also, trucks have not come a long ways in over 20 years of use since my first new 1988 chevy ext. cab silverado with 350 V8 got 16 mpg overall and trucks nowadays only get 1-2 more mpg hwy. All the trucks do nowadays is go faster/more hp and torque with less pollution, but not much in savings for gas. The car companies can, if they wanted to, build a 1/2 ton truck getting 25 mpg hwy. if they were forced to, but chose not to.

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough1 View Post
    Nothing like a good old 70's or 80's car for running into something and not having to have the car totaled like nowadays on all vehicles made. Airbags and even seat belts have come a long way though and mfg's. believe these 2 items save more lives than actual decent sheet metal. I'd like to see a new lincoln town car or similar big new car that size run up against our 1986 caprice classic? Also, trucks have not come a long ways in over 20 years of use since my first new 1988 chevy ext. cab silverado with 350 V8 got 16 mpg overall and trucks nowadays only get 1-2 more mpg hwy. All the trucks do nowadays is go faster/more hp and torque with less pollution, but not much in savings for gas. The car companies can, if they wanted to, build a 1/2 ton truck getting 25 mpg hwy. if they were forced to, but chose not to.
    Rep points given.

Well put man, well put. My old Expedition would net 1 less highway mpg yet it could take a hit.

Hell, I looked at '79 Bronco yesterday and to open the hood you had to hit it lol. Thing was awesome but the guy sold it today before I could buy it

-rockstate

Liked
    1 times

Yup. Fuel mileage hasn't gotten that much better, but power has. Which just goes to show you that most buyers prefer power to mpg. Exactly opposite to what the government wants you to believe.
    Thin sheetmetal usually results in more damage to the vehicle in an accident. Vehicle damage and passenger damage are generally usually inversely proportionate- the more impact the vehicle can absorb, the less impact the people have to absorb, so that's usually a good aspect. However, if you're in a big land yacht, the strong sheetmetal helps to make the other poor soul incur more damage than you.

Liked
    0 times

One of the British car shows, not Top Gear, did this. They ran an 80's Volvo 240 GL wagon up against a 2006 Renault compact wagon at 40 MPH in an offset head on collision. They didn't impact the cars into concrete and compare the results, but impacted the cars against each other. The 240 GL was trashed and the lower bodies of the front seat occupants (dummies) were destroyed. The front of the Renault was destroyed, but the crew compartment was 100% intact and the dummies were OK. It's up on YouTube if you care to search.

Greenpeace did not make your cars lighter. NHTSA made your cars heavier by a LOT. '98-'02 Camaro SS curb weight - 3300 pounds. 2010 Camaro SS curb weight - 3900 pounds. This has been happening since the 1970s. I could look up more, but you won't listen anyway.

Liked
    1526 times

Quote Originally Posted by Skyssx View Post
    '98-'02 Camaro SS curb weight - 3300 pounds. 2010 Camaro SS curb weight - 3900 pounds. This has been happening since the 1970s. I could look up more, but you won't listen anyway.
    How about bringing up the performance difference from '98-'02 to 2010. I bet he listens to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)