1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Rear Wheel Bearings

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearings

How can you tell if your bearings are going bad? What symptoms have people been experiencing? Recently I've noticed at highway speeds that I have a loud drone. I don't feel any vibration. If I let off the pedal and coast at 65mph the drone goes away, but comes back immediately when I step on the gas pedal. Thought I might be an exaust leak but it's not. While going 65mph I've put the truck in neutral and rev the engine, no drone. It seems like the drone is coming from the driveline. I've already had the front diff tsb done, along with the new rear driveshaft tsb which were completed last summer. So now I am wondering if its my rear wheel bearings going bad or the rear diff. If the rear bearings are bad, what noises would it make? Thanks.
    2008 Tundra SR5 CM 4x4 TRD. Katzkins leather, line-x, 33x12.50 toyo MT's, 20" incubus poltergiest wheels, TRD CAI, TRD Sway Bar, Icon coilovers, N-fab 6 step, Bed Step, White sport grille w/ inserts, Tekonsha P-3

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    36 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tho98027 View Post
    How can you tell if your bearings are going bad? What symptoms have people been experiencing? Recently I've noticed at highway speeds that I have a loud drone. I don't feel any vibration. If I let off the pedal and coast at 65mph the drone goes away, but comes back immediately when I step on the gas pedal. Thought I might be an exaust leak but it's not. While going 65mph I've put the truck in neutral and rev the engine, no drone. It seems like the drone is coming from the driveline. I've already had the front diff tsb done, along with the new rear driveshaft tsb which were completed last summer. So now I am wondering if its my rear wheel bearings going bad or the rear diff. If the rear bearings are bad, what noises would it make? Thanks.
    There's no getting around the drone @ 65'ish.... But that is coming from the engine/exhaust and it's given load at that specific speed range....

I could tell when my bearings were going by driving with the window down, next to other vehicles or even better, a wall or fence.... The ABSOLUTE best description of the sound that I can come up with ATM is.... If you take an ordinary wisk(thing you stir eggs with), and scraped it in a circular motion on a skillet or frying pan....<--- why I came up with that I have no idea as I'm not allowed in my kitchen nor in any other kitchen....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    08 Limited DC 4x4 Black/Charcoal
    TRD SuperCharger, TRD Cat Back, TRD 22" Forged 5 Spoke
    Odessey Battery, Pioneer Avic Z120BT, PAC SWI-PS, PAC TATO, RockFord Fosgate P1000 w/remote powering a JL SteathBox
    Factory matched tint, Paint matched grill surround, Sequoia mirror caps, Sequoia door handles, Debadged, Appearance rear bumper w/ sonar, Removed step bars
    Full interior LED's including vanity, puddle, reverse, cargo, and license plate LED's, DirectJG 35w 4500k HID's Low Beams, 35w 6000k Fogs, 55w 6000k High Beams, Side marker bulb delete, 2010 TailLights, EBAY bought LED/Smoked 3rd brake Light, Chrome painted amber DRL's and blinker bulbs
    More to come......

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I tore my 07 tundra apart today and replaced the wheel bearings because the originals where bad. Now the RH side rotor is rubbing against the mounting plate for the parking brake constantly. Before the fix it was only doing this when I turned, a symptom of the wheel bearing problem addressed by TSB13-0013. LH side was replaced too and it seems fine. The RH however is rubbing pretty hard. Has anyone experienced this?
    Last edited by signbuilder; 07-26-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Liked
    2 times

Could be the backing plate got bent. Probably from the bearing being pressed off improperly.
    07 DoubleCab 4x4 SR5 100000+ happy miles and counting

Liked
    36 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by signbuilder View Post
    I tore my 07 tundra apart today and replaced the wheel bearings because the originals where bad. Now the RH side rotor is rubbing against the mounting plate for the parking brake constantly. Before the fix it was only doing this when I turned, a symptom of the wheel bearing problem addressed by TSB13-0013. LH side was replaced too and it seems fine. The RH however is rubbing pretty hard. Has anyone experienced this?
    When it came down to the origin of my issues, it revolved around a carrier bearing....
    Put a jack under the rear diff(both wheels off), and check both wheels for slop....

It took me years to convince my dealer that my truck had issues... I finally insisted that they put it side by side with a new truck off their lot, on their racks and run them in gear.... And to actually use a stethoscope to determine a possible failure.... They ended up replacing the entire diff housing...

Good luck
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    08 Limited DC 4x4 Black/Charcoal
    TRD SuperCharger, TRD Cat Back, TRD 22" Forged 5 Spoke
    Odessey Battery, Pioneer Avic Z120BT, PAC SWI-PS, PAC TATO, RockFord Fosgate P1000 w/remote powering a JL SteathBox
    Factory matched tint, Paint matched grill surround, Sequoia mirror caps, Sequoia door handles, Debadged, Appearance rear bumper w/ sonar, Removed step bars
    Full interior LED's including vanity, puddle, reverse, cargo, and license plate LED's, DirectJG 35w 4500k HID's Low Beams, 35w 6000k Fogs, 55w 6000k High Beams, Side marker bulb delete, 2010 TailLights, EBAY bought LED/Smoked 3rd brake Light, Chrome painted amber DRL's and blinker bulbs
    More to come......

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

We did jack the truck up and check the wheels for slop while spinning and everything was good there. The backing plate that the parking brake mounts to did appear to get bent some. We took everything back apart and hammered the backing plate back some and 99% of the rubbing noise went away. I'll probably have to do it one more time because it does still rub occasionally, more so when turning to the right than anything. I'm hoping that's the only issue. I'm not sure what else it could be at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBonez View Post
    When it came down to the origin of my issues, it revolved around a carrier bearing....
    Put a jack under the rear diff(both wheels off), and check both wheels for slop....

It took me years to convince my dealer that my truck had issues... I finally insisted that they put it side by side with a new truck off their lot, on their racks and run them in gear.... And to actually use a stethoscope to determine a possible failure.... They ended up replacing the entire diff housing...

Good luck

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I think I fixed the problem. It turns out that both backing plates were bent. Hitting both with the hammer a couple of times bent them back so the rotor is no longer rubbing. I thought it was just the RH side it turns out it was both. So make sure those backing plates don't get bent while pressing the bearings. I also learned a couple of other things along the way...

1. I soaked all of the bolts with a mixture of half acetone, half auto transmission fluid for a week before taking it apart. That allowed for the nuts on those speed sensors to come free a little easier. I was able to save both. Although, even with the nut off, it was a little difficult pulling the sensor out because there's an o-ring on the end of the sensor that sits in the opening of the wheel bearing housing that was in there pretty tight. A little wiggling and prying upwards with a screw driver helped. I would recommend changing that o-ring if doing the job. I didn't know there was one there so I re-used the originals and it was fine. It just would have been nice to go all new, especially since the hole in which that sensor fits goes directly down into the bearing.

2. I ordered 04002-4310C and 04002-4320C special service parts from Gary at Toyota of Newnan. They told me (along with another dealership here locally )that those part numbers referred to just the replacement bearing. There was apparently no other information than that. Those special service parts are in fact full kits that include the replacement bearing, a new backing plate (that I did not use), the 42423-34040 retainer that cannondale was referring to which has to be cut off when removing the original bearing, a 90301-A0015 o-ring that goes between the bearing and rear end housing, a 90310-A0004 rear end sea(pre-lubricated) and a 90520-46014 replacement snap ring. This kit should be all that you need and its $290 per side through Gary. I believe the replacement Koyo bearings alone are in the $250-$260 price range at his prices but I'd double check that if you're going to do this yourself. You definitely need the retainer and of course the bearing but everything else is kind of up to you. Seems like its worth it to change it all for the small extra cost. That's just me. Since I wasn't aware that the kit had everything in it I ended up with duplicate parts...retainers, o-rings, etc.

3. Having never taken these things apart before it took about 1.5 hours to tear both sides apart completely, ready to have the bearings replaced. Rebuild time would have been about the same had it not have been for the bent backing plates.
    Last edited by signbuilder; 07-30-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I owned a 2008, pulled a 25ft Canyon trail 5th wheel. at 30K dealer performed service, changed rear diff lube and all. Took a 5000 mile trip from VA down to FL across to LA up to AR across to OH and back to VA via MD. In MD I started to hear a wine,
    got home took to dealer both rear wheel bearings bad. Total bed weight when 5th wheel attached and loaded 1475lbs. Traded the 2008 for a 2011 because the differential had issues also. Sold the 5th wheel bought a class A 35ft pusher. 2011 now has front wheel bearing noise at 78K. This is my 17th Toyota but the quality of the Tundra is not what I would expect from Toyota. If I pull again I will get a Ford.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.