Rear Wheel Bearings

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Bearings

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Rear Wheel Bearings

I have a 2007 Tundra, I have had to put rear (left & right)wheel bearings on 2 (TWO) times. What is the problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    47 times

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearings

huh? Why?
    :?
    "I'm not stupid; I'm big boned!"- Woody

CBTMA Member

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

On my Gen 1 it took four trips to the dealer to resolve a growling rear bearing issue. A touch of quality control from the factory, plus a heavier helping of mechanic incompetence at the dealer.

Liked
    2 times

are you overloading the bed?

Supercharged Member Only Toyota for me's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GGWOODY View Post
    huh? Why?
    :?
    T
    R
    O
    L
    L

Could be why maybe?

Don't argue with an insomniac. Frankenstein's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times

Since I've never heard of ANYONE needing to replace the rear wheel bearings on a gen2 Tundra, I think the problem is, someone thinks he's being funny.

I load the snot out of my truck, have 36,000 miles on the clock, and the bearings are like new.

edit: I note from sclem's other posts he has 95,000 miles on the clock, and maybe hasn't kept it properly lubed. I believe the wheel bearings are lubed by the differential oil -- but maybe someone with more mechanical background will correct me on this -- so if sclem does a lot of highway miles (to reach 95 K in 1.5 years, I'd guess he probably does) there may have been inadequate slow speed and stop and go which I understand -- again could be corrected -- helps to lubricate the wheel bearings.

Anyone else heard of rear wheel bearing problems on this truck?

And to the OP -- have you changed your diff oil regularly?

Finally, again to sclem -- how much does it cost to replace the rear wheel bearings?
    [Frankenstein's Monster]
    Proud Member CBTMA

Radiant Red

2007 Double Cab Limited w/Graphite Leather Interior
    Factory Nav, Sonar, and 10 spkr 440W JBL stereo with Sirius (sweet)

Cold Weather Pkg and Block Heater. Brushed SS Stepboards, TS Sticker
    Tires: BFG All Terrain T/A KO LT265 65 R 18, Diamondback SE Tonneau Cover.
    Curt Front Receiver, custom 8" extension, & Warn 8000lb receiver mount winch back or front,

Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller DSP 16,000 lb 5th wheel hitch Firestone Ride Rite 2445 Air Bags & TRD Rear Sway Bar (Best, Cheapest Mod!)

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Lightbulb Re: Rear Wheel Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by TundraBay View Post
    Since I've never heard of ANYONE needing to replace the rear wheel bearings on a gen2 Tundra, I think the problem is, someone thinks he's being funny.

I load the snot out of my truck, have 36,000 miles on the clock, and the bearings are like new.

edit: I note from sclem's other posts he has 95,000 miles on the clock, and maybe hasn't kept it properly lubed. I believe the wheel bearings are lubed by the differential oil -- but maybe someone with more mechanical background will correct me on this -- so if sclem does a lot of highway miles (to reach 95 K in 1.5 years, I'd guess he probably does) there may have been inadequate slow speed and stop and go which I understand -- again could be corrected -- helps to lubricate the wheel bearings.

Finally, again to sclem -- how much does it cost to replace the rear wheel bearings?
    You are right the bearings are lubed from the differential, but it should not matter if he drives freeway or stop 'n' go, I tend to lean towards the differential fluid is not at the proper level and he is running "dry" bearings. Of course over-loading means all bets are off...:whoo:
    Hank

2007 Tundra SR5 DC LB 5.7, Underseat storage, Sonar, Backup Camera, Prodigy brake contoller, Reese 16k 5'er hitch, Towing Mirrors, Michelin LT AT2 275/65R18/E, Hellwig Helper Springs 2,000 lbs, 7/75 Platinum Warranty from Handy Toyota.

Future mods:
    Stebel 300hz Horn
    Fog Lights

2005 Rockwood 26' 5'er, Michelin LTX MS tires, 270 watts of solar on the roof, 4 T-105 golf cart batteries, Xentrex converter, Outback FX2012T inverter/charger.

If you can't take it with ya, why bother with an RV!

2000 Tundra (bought 9/9/99)
    JBA Headers
    Gone but not forgotten~

Liked
    2 times

I've replaced several of these bearings on my trucks (94 and 85 4Runners). They are sealed bearings that are prelubed, no grease packing needed. To properly take them off they must be prressed off. There are tricks that can be used to get them off by building a home made SST and slamming it on the ground. This is fine to remove the bearing since it's bad anyway, but the new one should be pressed in. Maybe they used the slam it ont he ground method to put the new bearings on also!
    I don't think the bearing is lubed by the diff at all, not on my older trucks at least. There is a seal that the rear axle slides into inside the housing. The bearing would technically be on the other side of this seal closest to the axle stub. Your rear axle tube should have a bulge to it when it reaches the outermost portion, this bulge is where the bearing rides.

If I can find any pictures of the setup on my trucks I'll post up.

Liked
    2 times

Toyota Maintenance: Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings and Seals

Here is the processs I'm talking about, this is for drum brakes however. Don't know how it works for the Tundra with disc, but think it would be essentially the same.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by TundraBay View Post

Well i had to have one of mine replaced under warranty, they told me it was my tires making all that noise since my 5K mile oil change then they finally got it right at 20k mile service. So, I am SOMEONE who has had a problem with my RWB in a 2008 tundra. But twice does seem excessive.

Cheers.
    Last edited by macaroni; 05-11-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

I have a 2005 Tundra. It was making loud humming noises and I pretty much deterimined it wasnt' the tires. I'm out of warranty with 65,000 miles. Toyota service said I had to have both rear axle bearings replaced. They quoted me $1120 for parts and service.

So, they got my money now. I just wanted it fixed since I'm planning on keeping this truck for a while. I pick it up this afternoon.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a 2008 Tundra I purchased new May of 2009. At 30,000 I was getting a slight growl, only noticible when I was coasting to a stop. I had my 30,000 mile check-up done. All the required maintainence. Had the front end presicion aligned, the wheels all balance. One even had the tire properly set to the rim. They checked the differential fluid. All up, but the rear had a sheen to it. Had new synthetic lube installed (manufacturers spec). That drone though was still there. Hardly noticable, but there. For the last few weeks it has gotten more pronounced. Another check. Left rear wheel bearing. At least I know I wasn't crazy. So now it's off to the dealer I had look at it at 27000 and was told it was a "normal" noise. NOT! My truck is usually just about empty. So there you have it.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

I have to go with troll he hasen't been baqck .
    Charlie & Linda

Preferred Dealer
    Liked
    55 times
    Images

Toyota recently issued a TSB for the rear bearings on our trucks... they will replace them, no charge.
    Brian
    Jowett HD Tundra Parts

Driving the Tundra aftermarket forward.

ARB 10.5" Locking Differentials now Available!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
    brian@jowettengineering.com
    www.jowettengineering.com

Liked
    0 times

i had my rear wheel bearings done too with about 28000 miles
    07 tundra dc 5.7
    my first toyota and could not be happier with this truck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.