Question Bed Size

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Bed Size

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Bed Size

I'm in the process of ordering a 2008 double cab with an 8' bed. It has taken my dealer a couple weeks to track one down and it is supposed to be shipped this week. I need to be able to carry 4' x 8' sheet goods. Now I have found out (while looking for a cap) that there may be different bed widths! I assumed if it was 8' long it would be 4' between wheel wells. Are there differing widths and if so what do I specifically tell or ask the dealer to make sure I get the correct one? (Getting any kind of honest answer out of this guy is difficult - he wants to guess at everything).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    806 times
    Images

Default Re: Bed Size

That's the first time I've heard anything about different "widths". I have a DCRB with the 6'6" bed. A 4X8 sheet of plywood fits between the wheel wells. I don't see why it wouldn't in an 8" bed ?????? That thought usually plays in on the design. I really don't think they would make a mistake THAT BIG !!!!!!
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by ForestB View Post
    I'm in the process of ordering a 2008 double cab with an 8' bed. It has taken my dealer a couple weeks to track one down and it is supposed to be shipped this week. I need to be able to carry 4' x 8' sheet goods. Now I have found out (while looking for a cap) that there may be different bed widths! I assumed if it was 8' long it would be 4' between wheel wells. Are there differing widths and if so what do I specifically tell or ask the dealer to make sure I get the correct one? (Getting any kind of honest answer out of this guy is difficult - he wants to guess at everything).
    I have an 08 Regular cab long bed and there is no problem with 4' between the wheel wells. Problem is the tail gate may not shut with 4' x 8' sheets in it. I have the factory bedliner and it is very very close to not closing.

old n

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

You can lay a 4x8 piece of material in the bed of an 8' model and shut the tailgate. You'll be good to go.
    09 Tundra DC 4x4

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslo View Post
    I have an 08 Regular cab long bed and there is no problem with 4' between the wheel wells. Problem is the tail gate may not shut with 4' x 8' sheets in it. I have the factory bedliner and it is very very close to not closing.

old n
    Oh - I hadn't thought about that. I'm still trying to decide between a sprayed on liner and drop in liner. I was leaning towards a drop-in "Duraliner". Does anyone have a Duraliner in a 8' bed who can tell me if there's still enough room? I know it would be close.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    That's the first time I've heard anything about different "widths". I have a DCRB with the 6'6" bed. A 4X8 sheet of plywood fits between the wheel wells. I don't see why it wouldn't in an 8" bed ?????? That thought usually plays in on the design. I really don't think they would make a mistake THAT BIG !!!!!!
    I started wondering when trying to find a Leer cap and one of the questions on the Leer site for a Tundra was "flare side or fleet side" and in the drawings the beds seem to be different widths but it was impossible to see if that affected the distance between wheel wells. And somewhere else I saw that there were three different chassis widths for a Tundra.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ForestB View Post
    I have an '07 DCLB, seems I read it had 8'1" long bed and almost 50" between the wheel wells. Would go out and measure for ya but I am still hobbling.

Hank

2007 Tundra SR5 DC LB 5.7, Underseat storage, Sonar, Backup Camera, Prodigy brake contoller, Reese 16k 5'er hitch, Towing Mirrors, Michelin LT AT2 275/65R18/E, Hellwig Helper Springs 2,000 lbs, 7/75 Platinum Warranty from Handy Toyota.

Future mods:
    Stebel 300hz Horn
    Fog Lights

2005 Rockwood 26' 5'er, Michelin LTX MS tires, 270 watts of solar on the roof, 4 T-105 golf cart batteries, Xentrex converter, Outback FX2012T inverter/charger.

If you can't take it with ya, why bother with an RV!

2000 Tundra (bought 9/9/99)
    JBA Headers
    Gone but not forgotten~

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Wherever you are looking at tops may be including the Gen 1 tundras. I believe they had a step side bed along with the regular bed width. Add these with the 2007+ year tundra and you'd have 3 different bed widths.

Liked
    186 times

The tundra sales book has spec and the width is all the same, just different lengths. Have your salesman read his flyer rack.
    A spray in will probably suit you better as the plastic drop in is not a tight fit.
    And the 05/06 had the available step bed which looked funny IMO.

Liked
    12 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
    Wherever you are looking at tops may be including the Gen 1 tundras. I believe they had a step side bed along with the regular bed width. Add these with the 2007+ year tundra and you'd have 3 different bed widths.
    Beer has been sent.
    2007 up to the current year Tundras are all the same width.

Beer please!
    CBTMA (Member and Founding Father: Est. August 15, 2008)
    Clicky>>> What The Heck is CBTMA
    Unknown - "The biological purpose of pain is to prevent the recurrence of stupidity."

Liked
    0 times
    Images

i have an 8' bed on my tundra with line-x and i know you will fit as may 4x8 sheets as you like right up to the sliding rail, then they will no longer fit with the tail gate closed. remember though "4x8" is a nominal size. MDF comes in an actual 49 inch by 97 if i remember right, i don't know about other construction products i know that extra 1 inch has helped me in some really large box builds...
    2008 DCLB work truck, diamond plate running boards , Firestone air bags
    95 civic HB b18c1 “built” toy

I’m in your town or will be soon