Question Bed Size

  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

    Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!
     
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Bed Size

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Bed Size

    I'm in the process of ordering a 2008 double cab with an 8' bed. It has taken my dealer a couple weeks to track one down and it is supposed to be shipped this week. I need to be able to carry 4' x 8' sheet goods. Now I have found out (while looking for a cap) that there may be different bed widths! I assumed if it was 8' long it would be 4' between wheel wells. Are there differing widths and if so what do I specifically tell or ask the dealer to make sure I get the correct one? (Getting any kind of honest answer out of this guy is difficult - he wants to guess at everything).

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Benny Hill guntech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stone Ridge, NY
    Age
    64
    Posts
    17,369
    Liked
    806 times
    Images
    81
    Rep Power
    177987

    Default Re: Bed Size

    That's the first time I've heard anything about different "widths". I have a DCRB with the 6'6" bed. A 4X8 sheet of plywood fits between the wheel wells. I don't see why it wouldn't in an 8" bed ?????? That thought usually plays in on the design. I really don't think they would make a mistake THAT BIG !!!!!!
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Winnebago, IL
    Posts
    50
    Liked
    1 times
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Bed Size

    Quote Originally Posted by ForestB View Post
    I'm in the process of ordering a 2008 double cab with an 8' bed. It has taken my dealer a couple weeks to track one down and it is supposed to be shipped this week. I need to be able to carry 4' x 8' sheet goods. Now I have found out (while looking for a cap) that there may be different bed widths! I assumed if it was 8' long it would be 4' between wheel wells. Are there differing widths and if so what do I specifically tell or ask the dealer to make sure I get the correct one? (Getting any kind of honest answer out of this guy is difficult - he wants to guess at everything).
    I have an 08 Regular cab long bed and there is no problem with 4' between the wheel wells. Problem is the tail gate may not shut with 4' x 8' sheets in it. I have the factory bedliner and it is very very close to not closing.

    old n

  5. #4
    Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Page
    Posts
    155
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    807

    Default Re: Bed Size

    You can lay a 4x8 piece of material in the bed of an 8' model and shut the tailgate. You'll be good to go.
    09 Tundra DC 4x4

  6. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0
    Thread Starter

    Default Re: Bed Size

    Quote Originally Posted by oldnslo View Post
    I have an 08 Regular cab long bed and there is no problem with 4' between the wheel wells. Problem is the tail gate may not shut with 4' x 8' sheets in it. I have the factory bedliner and it is very very close to not closing.

    old n
    Oh - I hadn't thought about that. I'm still trying to decide between a sprayed on liner and drop in liner. I was leaning towards a drop-in "Duraliner". Does anyone have a Duraliner in a 8' bed who can tell me if there's still enough room? I know it would be close.

  7. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0
    Thread Starter

    Default Re: Bed Size

    Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    That's the first time I've heard anything about different "widths". I have a DCRB with the 6'6" bed. A 4X8 sheet of plywood fits between the wheel wells. I don't see why it wouldn't in an 8" bed ?????? That thought usually plays in on the design. I really don't think they would make a mistake THAT BIG !!!!!!
    I started wondering when trying to find a Leer cap and one of the questions on the Leer site for a Tundra was "flare side or fleet side" and in the drawings the beds seem to be different widths but it was impossible to see if that affected the distance between wheel wells. And somewhere else I saw that there were three different chassis widths for a Tundra.

  8. #7
    Just Call Me Hank Tankerhank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    1,415
    Liked
    0 times
    Images
    46
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Bed Size

    Quote Originally Posted by ForestB View Post
    I'm in the process of ordering a 2008 double cab with an 8' bed. It has taken my dealer a couple weeks to track one down and it is supposed to be shipped this week. I need to be able to carry 4' x 8' sheet goods. Now I have found out (while looking for a cap) that there may be different bed widths! I assumed if it was 8' long it would be 4' between wheel wells. Are there differing widths and if so what do I specifically tell or ask the dealer to make sure I get the correct one? (Getting any kind of honest answer out of this guy is difficult - he wants to guess at everything).
    I have an '07 DCLB, seems I read it had 8'1" long bed and almost 50" between the wheel wells. Would go out and measure for ya but I am still hobbling.

    Hank



    2007 Tundra SR5 DC LB 5.7, Underseat storage, Sonar, Backup Camera, Prodigy brake contoller, Reese 16k 5'er hitch, Towing Mirrors, Michelin LT AT2 275/65R18/E, Hellwig Helper Springs 2,000 lbs, 7/75 Platinum Warranty from Handy Toyota.

    Future mods:
    Stebel 300hz Horn
    Fog Lights

    2005 Rockwood 26' 5'er, Michelin LTX MS tires, 270 watts of solar on the roof, 4 T-105 golf cart batteries, Xentrex converter, Outback FX2012T inverter/charger.

    If you can't take it with ya, why bother with an RV!

    2000 Tundra (bought 9/9/99)
    JBA Headers
    Gone but not forgotten~

  9. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    5
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Bed Size

    Wherever you are looking at tops may be including the Gen 1 tundras. I believe they had a step side bed along with the regular bed width. Add these with the 2007+ year tundra and you'd have 3 different bed widths.

  10. #9
    Supercharged Member SE2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Albany
    Posts
    4,588
    Liked
    186 times
    Rep Power
    247448

    Default Re: Bed Size

    The tundra sales book has spec and the width is all the same, just different lengths. Have your salesman read his flyer rack.
    A spray in will probably suit you better as the plastic drop in is not a tight fit.
    And the 05/06 had the available step bed which looked funny IMO.

  11. #10
    Jedi Ninja in Training mxsjw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    8,309
    Liked
    12 times
    Images
    12
    Rep Power
    78

    Default Re: Bed Size

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
    Wherever you are looking at tops may be including the Gen 1 tundras. I believe they had a step side bed along with the regular bed width. Add these with the 2007+ year tundra and you'd have 3 different bed widths.
    Beer has been sent.
    2007 up to the current year Tundras are all the same width.


    Beer please!
    CBTMA (Member and Founding Father: Est. August 15, 2008)
    Clicky>>> What The Heck is CBTMA
    Unknown - "The biological purpose of pain is to prevent the recurrence of stupidity."

  12. #11
    Veteran Member nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Spring Hill
    Posts
    513
    Liked
    0 times
    Images
    18
    Rep Power
    2861

    Default Re: Bed Size

    i have an 8' bed on my tundra with line-x and i know you will fit as may 4x8 sheets as you like right up to the sliding rail, then they will no longer fit with the tail gate closed. remember though "4x8" is a nominal size. MDF comes in an actual 49 inch by 97 if i remember right, i don't know about other construction products i know that extra 1 inch has helped me in some really large box builds...
    2008 DCLB work truck, diamond plate running boards , Firestone air bags
    95 civic HB b18c1 “built” toy

    I’m in your town or will be soon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •