Clunk after coming to a stop - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clunk after coming to a stop

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Clunk after coming to a stop

I have an 07' 4X2 CrewMax 5.7L. I have had the same problem for more than ~2 years. It happens when I come to a full stop, usually rapid deceleration. I believe it is the transmission downshifting from 2nd to 1st. It doesn't happen all the time but several times a week is typical.

I am not to concerned about it. The truck has ~50k and I have plans to trade it in next year for a 3/4 ton. I am seriously waiting to see what the big three + Toyota' plans are for 2014 models.

Peace!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Guys, if I may chime in here. The issue resides in the driveshaft (propeller shaft) slip joint. Basically, its not lubed properly allowing for smooth slipping when coming to a stop (expanding) and then accelerating (compressing) due to axle wrap.
    Get you some of the Motorcraft PTFE Teflon Driveshaft Slip Yoke Lubricant Ford Motorcraft XG-8 (ML1167/31508-42027)
    Toyota PTFE Teflon Driveshaft Slip Yoke Grease Lubricant Lube Ford Motorcraft XG-8 (ML1167/31508-42027)
    You will need to remove the shaft boot and clamps thoroughly clean existing grease/lube then apply this slick stuff.
    I did this to mine a couple of months ago and havent had the problem so far.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Are you talking about the slip yoke that goes into the tailshaft housing of the transmission?
    I remember my son had to do the same with his Ford F150 4x4.
    Except his was the yoke at the rear end diff.

Steve

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Wink Re: Clunk after coming to a stop

Quote Originally Posted by piperman View Post
    Are you talking about the slip yoke that goes into the tailshaft housing of the transmission?
    I remember my son had to do the same with his Ford F150 4x4.
    Except his was the yoke at the rear end diff.

Steve

Steve, at least on the 4X4 Tundra's, the slip yoke is in the rear half of the two peice drive shaft just aft of the center carrier bearing. There are no lube points on this shaft externally therefore needs to be dismantled.
    The 2WD slip yokes are all in the tail housing of the tranny and are supposed to be lubed via the fluid in the tranny. In this case, I would remove the driver shaft inspect the slip yoke and apply some of the Motorcraft PTFE Teflon XG-8 on the splines and see if that works.
    Works like a champ in my situation.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Ok, that seems to be the way the F150 was also. Good, I'll definitely do that, I have some Super Lube on order pretty much the same thing.

Thank you.

Steve

Liked
    13 times
    Images

Do you guys get this bump on taking off sometimes too? So how much lube does it need? Do you fill it absolutely full, just enough to provide a smooth surface or somewhere in between?
    08 Tundra DC 5.7 4x4 TRD
    97 F350 460 4x4...aka: Snowman
    09 4Runner 4x4 X-REAS
    04 Kubota L3830 4x4
    06 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4

Liked
    16 times
    Images

My tranny fluid was leaking and when they fixed some busted seals and refilled it went away completely, they also replaced my driveshaft too... but shifting isn't smooth on these trucks, unlike my pops 1st gen to be honest
    -2008 Toyota Tundra V8
    SR5 Tow Package 4x2
    5.7l Dual VVTI
    Bilstein 5100 All Around
    K&N 63 Series CAI
    Dirtydeedsindustries/BAMufflers Exhaust
    -2006 Toyota Tundra V8

Limited TRD Offroad Package 4x2
    4.7L VVTI
    35w 5000k Fog Light HID's
    K&N Drop-In Filter
    BAMufflers/Dirtydeedsindustries Exhaust

Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by OkiTundra View Post
    Steve, at least on the 4X4 Tundra's, the slip yoke is in the rear half of the two peice drive shaft just aft of the center carrier bearing. There are no lube points on this shaft externally therefore needs to be dismantled.
    The 2WD slip yokes are all in the tail housing of the tranny and are supposed to be lubed via the fluid in the tranny. In this case, I would remove the driver shaft inspect the slip yoke and apply some of the Motorcraft PTFE Teflon XG-8 on the splines and see if that works.
    Works like a champ in my situation.
    I have a 2005 2wd 4.7 and it clunks bad. does the prop shaft seal then tranny fluid inside? So if I slide out the shaft will there be fluid everywhere?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123