Clunk after coming to a stop

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clunk after coming to a stop

wii
    Liked
    0 times

Default Clunk after coming to a stop

So I've noticed that sometimes I will stop at a light or stop sign and after sitting still for a moment the trunk has some kind of drivetrain clunk. It almost feels like the person behind me just bumped me.

I've not been able to reproduce this enough to take it to the dealer but I was wondering if anyone is having the same issues?

I'm in a 07 5.7 4x2 Crewmax

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    7 times

Default Re: Clunk after coming to a stop

Quote Originally Posted by wii View Post
    So I've noticed that sometimes I will stop at a light or stop sign and after sitting still for a moment the trunk has some kind of drivetrain clunk. It almost feels like the person behind me just bumped me.

I've not been able to reproduce this enough to take it to the dealer but I was wondering if anyone is having the same issues?

I have same concern with same truck, same year, 4x2.

I notice hard racing like downshifts, spline had the bump knocked out of it whatever that means by dealer to take away those clunk, bump hard downshifts but still feel those downshifts but not as hard.

Now I am feeling what you described 2-3 times a week.

Dealer want's to see it and recreate, but they wont tell me what it could be?

I am also waiting to hear from someone who knows, what is this thing.
    Last edited by EVOL ARDNUT; 06-25-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Liked
    31 times
    Images

There is a lot of stuff on this forum about that.

Try searching for "driveline clunk" or something like that. I sometimes get it but I mostly get the lag between a stop and first gear.

Gotta get my slip yoke greased, which will help the problem not not eliminate it completely.

Good luck

-rockstate

Mark it eight, Dude... MaylonTRD's Avatar
    Liked
    124 times
    Images

i get the same thing also in the exact same truck as the OP. I also had the same thing in a Tacoma that i had. When ever it happens my wife will actually look to see if someone hit us! if i didn't have my foot on the brake good i think that the truck could jump forward.

Liked
    2 times

my truck was fine till they changed the dirveshaft and then it started to slightly do this .. they call it normal i say it isnt, because my truck never did it till they worked on it

Veteran Member
    Liked
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stripped Honda View Post
    my truck was fine till they changed the dirveshaft and then it started to slightly do this .. they call it normal i say it isnt, because my truck never did it till they worked on it

Same here BUT they didn't change shaft but "knocked the bump of the spline" to supposedly reduce the hard downshift clunk on my 2wd,

They were trying to fix the hard downshift feeling from 2nd to 1st, it is still there but not as hard.
    Now I have noticed the bump at complete stop with foot on brake in gear, and not moving.

What is it, and is there a fix?

They want me to bring it in again to look at it, to see if they can recreate.

I read many threads about clunks, bumps etc.

The person who started this one has EXACTLY what I have.
    Last edited by EVOL ARDNUT; 06-25-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by EVOL ARDNUT View Post
    Same here BUT they didn't change shaft but "knocked the bump of the spline" to supposedly reduce the hard downshift clunk on my 2wd,

They were trying to fix the hard downshift feeling from 2nd to 1st, it is still there but not as hard.
    Now I have noticed the bump at complete stop with foot on brake in gear, and not moving.

What is it, and is there a fix?

They want me to bring it in again to look at it, to see if they can recreate.

I read many threads about clunks, bumps etc.

The person who started this one has EXACTLY what I have.
    I have a F150 (will be switching to a Tundra in the next year or so). Most F150's have the same problem, it's a result of the the slip yoke on the driveshaft. If I take my driveshaft down, clean it up, apply PTFE grease and put it back together, the clunk goes away for 4 or 5K miles, then it slowly comes back. I believe Toyotas have a similar problem. It's a pain in the butt, but I grease mine on every 2nd oil change (6K).

Liked
    28 times

Same exact situation for me too. Dealer did the driveshaft TSB replacement and I've been clunking ever since. Another dealer inspected thier work and re-adjusted something and it helped a little but I'm still clunking after stops. They want to keep it for a day to drive it, hopefully they figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripped Honda View Post

2007 Tundra Limited DoubleCab 5.7, Silver Sky, TRD
    Honda Super Cub

Veteran Member
    Liked
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo Jet View Post
    Same exact situation for me too. Dealer did the driveshaft TSB replacement and I've been clunking ever since. Another dealer inspected thier work and re-adjusted something and it helped a little but I'm still clunking after stops. They want to keep it for a day to drive it, hopefully they figure this out.
    Tell us what they find.

Someone recommended modifying the yoke so it can be greased or lubed, like on every oil change so this wont happen.
    Can this be done by TOYOTA?

Liked
    0 times

The last 2 Chevy truck I have owned have done the same thing. Didnt seem to hurt anything. The firt one was a 1990 RCSB with the 5.7 and a 125 wet shot of Nitrous. Had it for 16 years. My RCSB Tundra dont do it.
    Last edited by Sigman; 06-25-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Liked
    16 times
    Images

these trucks have a driveline clunk??? its never been discussed before.....

jk. only about three times a week. almost as much as our bed wiggles and tail gates wont hold fat people.

but the clunk is real though. mine does it. my chevrolet i had in HS did, my dad's suburban did too. and apparently its not just a toyota and chevy thing...its alot of makers. also, its not just these gen tundras, doing a search the other day there were many of the previous gen tundras as well that complained about it.

ive thought about dropping my driveshaft and lubing the yoke to help but thats as far as i got. i'll probally just trade the truck before anyway, its due for tires so thats usually when i trade vehicles.

wii
    Liked
    0 times

Well I didn't look too hard this morning but I did search and noticed most threads dealt with 4wd's not 2wd.

Anyway I will probably try to lube the slip yoke when I get home in the morning.

Thanks everyone.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

THere is a TSB on the torque converter....some have had theirs repalced and it helped, but I think I have seen the major consensus is the transmission programming. I get a hard clunk when I am accelerating at about 25-40mph and the truck shifts from 1st, 2nd or 3rd depending on my speed. I could have them replace the TC and possibly the transmission, but I think the programming is mostly to blame.
    If it feels more mechanical in nature, definately take it into them, start a ticket on it and keep hounding them until you start to get some traction on the issue. My service guy "loves it" when I stop by, but there are several items that I am concerned with and he needs to know about them. Keep the service guys up to date on your issues and they may advocate for you when you are pushed to get something fixed....hopefully on their dime.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Samething just started happening here...doesn't do it enough to take it in on my 07 rcsb. Sometimes it will go for 2 weeks and not do it. Keep us posted if you find out anything definate for a cure.

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wii View Post

oh yeah, and as far as not being able to duplicate it enough, just wait a while and it'll do it every stop. mine does at 28k miles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.