DIY Air bag install with dash gauge plate panel

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air bag install with dash gauge plate panel

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Air bag install with dash gauge plate panel

I just completed an install of the air lift bags. I tow an Outback 310BHS with a dry weight of about 7,900 pounds. I estimate that we are about 9,000 loaded. The air bags made a huge difference in the stability and ride quality.

I also upgraded to LT rated Michelin AT2 tires. Although the ride is a bit rougher, it is not unpleasant at all. Between the bags and the tires, this has made a huge difference in how the truck tows.

The main reason for my post is how I installed the compressor system. I bought it from JC Whitney and I think it was just over $100 on sale. I couldn't resist. It does not have to have it. I just thought it was cool to have. It does make getting hooked up easier too so I have to justify it somehow!

Now for the good part. I read in another post on here about the guys at gaugeplates.com. I saw where someone used their plate for a boost gauge. I purchased their gauge plate for mounting the pressure gauge. I was determined to not hang that little gauge pod under the dash.

I have attached photos of the gauge install. There are plenty of how to's on the bag and compressor install so I won't get into all of that again. I have not seen anything on the gauge plate / gauge pod so I wanted to get this on here. It would be a simple upgrade for anyone doing this and it really cleans up the install of the cab nicely.

These guys were great to work with and very responsive in my order. The website with the tundra info is Gaugeplates.com, your home for custom gauge and switch plates.

I'm headed from Texas to Utah in the morning so it will be the first good run on the setup. I will write back more on the trip after we get back. This is an outstanding truck and I have been nothing but impressed. The forum is great too. I have been reading for quite awhile but this is my first post.

Enjoy the reading and images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3380.JPG 
Views:	2272 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	43732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3383.JPG 
Views:	1556 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	43733  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    114 times
    Images

Default Re: Air bag install with dash gauge plate panel

Awesome! As far as the gauge plate, that is RIjon's website whom is a member on all the Tundra forums. I have the center one, and the one where the ashtray goes which I have a voltmeter gauge in there now. Pic below which is kinda blurry.

Last edited by Marky_Mark; 07-16-2009 at 07:42 PM.

"They Were Just Jealous That My Tundra Pulled More Kitties Than A Bowl Of Milk"

Liked
    30 times
    Images

YUP !!!! Its final....both of those look SWEET !!!! Nice job !!!
    Black 2014 Platinum 4x4, seems to have ALL the options, Flowmaster Dual Delta 40's, K&N drop in filter, LineX,4" Tuff Country Suspension lift, Nitto Trail Grapplers 35/12.50/18, Moto Metal M0961's in Chrome 18x9. Fully DeBadged , Stebel horn, TRD Swaybar, Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, 10,000 lb winch, 5000K HID's (all), Production date 8/07
    "CBTMA Member"

Black 2007 D/C Limited 4x4-SOLD
    1997 Chevy Tahoe Sport 4x4 (R.I.P)
    2008 Sequoia Ltd. Slate Metallic (purchased on 3/28/09)

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The MARINES don't have that problem."
    President Ronald Reagan 1985

Liked
    0 times

Very nice install !!! That looks great !!!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jwroten View Post

The main reason for my post is how I installed the compressor system. I bought it from JC Whitney and I think it was just over $100 on sale. I couldn't resist. It does not have to have it. I just thought it was cool to have. It does make getting hooked up easier too so I have to justify it somehow!

I too justify my remote airbag set up as making it easier to hook up to the trailer. In most cases I can run the ball right under the trailer and just "air up". Walk outside,plug in my trailer harness and fold up my trailer leg... Gone in ten seconds!!
    Supah-chargah!
    TRD 22's
    Supercharger....
    Rear Swaybar by TRD
    Rear Suspension by TRD
    Rear Camera...
    Did I mention...SUPERCHARGER!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

That looks awesome where did you move your tow haul button? where did you run your air lines into the cab at? I was going to go ahead and mount mine up in the tool box this week but this looks much cleaner.
    2007 Tundra DC SB TRD, bilstein 5100's up front, air ride 5000 rears, true dual Dynomax, N-Fab nerf bars, T2 Grille Guard, Goodyear wrangler Silent Armor Prograde 275/70-18.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Marky_Mark View Post
    Awesome! As far as the gauge plate, that is RIjon's website whom is a member on all the Tundra forums. I have the center one, and the one where the ashtray goes which I have a voltmeter gauge in there now. Pic below which is kinda blurry.

Looks real nice........i am having trouble ordering a plate, for some strange reason, my town ,state and zip doesn t exist when i try to order. Do you know if they have a direct phone # ?
    oohhhhhh.....and where did you get that shifter handle...real nice ???
    thanks

Liked
    69 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 07supercharged View Post
    Looks real nice........i am having trouble ordering a plate, for some strange reason, my town ,state and zip doesn t exist when i try to order. Do you know if they have a direct phone # ?
    oohhhhhh.....and where did you get that shifter handle...real nice ???
    thanks

PM Sent. I will have to check into the problem.
    2008 Tundra 5.7L RCSB 2WD Supercharged, Auburn LSD, IPT Valvebody, Sequoia swaybar, BAM stainless custom exhaust, etc...

www.gaugeplates.com

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwroten View Post
    I just completed an install of the air lift bags. I tow an Outback 310BHS with a dry weight of about 7,900 pounds. I estimate that we are about 9,000 loaded. The air bags made a huge difference in the stability and ride quality.

I also upgraded to LT rated Michelin AT2 tires. Although the ride is a bit rougher, it is not unpleasant at all. Between the bags and the tires, this has made a huge difference in how the truck tows.

Now for the good part. I read in another post on here about the guys at gaugeplates.com. I saw where someone used their plate for a boost gauge. I purchased their gauge plate for mounting the pressure gauge. I was determined to not hang that little gauge pod under the dash.

I have attached photos of the gauge install. There are plenty of how to's on the bag and compressor install so I won't get into all of that again. I have not seen anything on the gauge plate / gauge pod so I wanted to get this on here. It would be a simple upgrade for anyone doing this and it really cleans up the install of the cab nicely.

These guys were great to work with and very responsive in my order. The website with the tundra info is Gaugeplates.com, your home for custom gauge and switch plates.

I'm headed from Texas to Utah in the morning so it will be the first good run on the setup. I will write back more on the trip after we get back. This is an outstanding truck and I have been nothing but impressed. The forum is great too. I have been reading for quite awhile but this is my first post.

Sweet setup!!!
    2007 RCSB |5.7 | TRD SC | JBA Headers | Auburn LSD

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Dude, that's friggin awesome. Looks "factory"

-rockstate

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Been offline camping in Utah for about a week but thanks for the great comments.

I ran the air line up the inside frame rail and covered it in heat resistant wire loom. I came through a hole to the outside and I drilled 2 holes in the floor under the sill plate about even with the front of the driver seat. I brought it in there and ran along the wiring harness under the sill plate, behind the kick panel, and behind the dash to the gauge.

As for the tow/haul, I moved it to the blank plate in the panel to the left on the dash where the back window roll down is. There is just enough extra wire to move it without cutting. I had to file the hole slightly to get it in there but it looks factory in that location.

Liked
    4 times

what compressor did you order? i have been looking on JC Whitney, please let me know. Looks great.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

So I'm assuming you used just the single gauge set up instead of the dual gauge. So can you just use any type of button/control knob for the setup? So you don't have to use the supplied one? Also, whats the 110 volt button for?
    2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 TRD Off Road Edition, 20" JTI Wheels w/ 285/55/20 BFG All Terrain Tires, Air Lift 5000. Upgraded to Bilstein 5100 and Rancho RS9000XL.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 TRD Off Road Edition, 20" JTI Wheels w/ 285/55/20 BFG All Terrain Tires, Air Lift 5000. Upgraded to Bilstein 5100 and Rancho RS9000XL.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I ordered my gauge plate from RIjon last night this is the kit i bought if you use the discount code SAVE the shipping is free
    ELECTRICAL AIR CONTROL KIT - CarParts Quality Discount Parts and Accessories
    2007 Tundra DC SB TRD, bilstein 5100's up front, air ride 5000 rears, true dual Dynomax, N-Fab nerf bars, T2 Grille Guard, Goodyear wrangler Silent Armor Prograde 275/70-18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast