Jiffy Lube - no oil in engine - damage? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jiffy Lube - no oil in engine - damage?

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Re: Jiffy Lube - no oil in engine - damage?

no oil and driven 200 miles. HHHMMMMMMMMM.
    5.7 4X4 Double Cab -Blue Streak TRD
    Tan Buckets - Sonar - JBL 400W - Elephant Ear Heated Mirrors, Cold Kit, Rhinoliner,
    3" ToyTec Lift,
    BFG All Terrain 305.65.18's
    on Chrome MotoMetal 951's.
    TRD Sway Bar (yes it makes a difference)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

My father would do an oil change in his 1974 Datsun pickup the following way:

He would wait to the check oil light came on and then add three quarts. He did this for 270,000 miles until he blew a head gasket. I would not have believed it if someone told me, but I witnessed him do this for a period of 7 years.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by BajaMD View Post
    I am a surgeon, not a mechanic, but when a kid I used to rebuild engines and make hot rods, etc. Days before computers. I know my way around a car, at least a little. The sump was down by 5 quarts of oil from full. No leaks at all. They said they put in 6.6 quarts of synthetic, which I think would have blown my seals.
    I suspect the engine survived because they did not change the oil filter? That would give it a little oil for the lifters.
    No oil light came on, and there was a little bit of oil pressure - just barely above the lowest line when driving. I drive like a little old lady. I thought maybe the 0-30 synthetic ran low?
    My question: to assess engine damage, Jiffy Lube wants to take the oil filter and send it to Honeywell. One Toyota service manager wants to stick a scope into the engine and see if the bearing are blue and scored, the other wants to tear down the engine and check all the bearings and cylinders.
    Thoughts?
    Rusty
    Contact an attorney, do not give up your oil filter under any circumstances except to send it to a lab of your choosing where you and that lab retain custody of the filter. Other than that, a tear down is most likely in your future to really assess the damage.

Supercharged Member Time4change's Avatar
    Liked
    188 times

I am a surgeon, not a mechanic, but when a kid I used to rebuild engines and make hot rods, etc. Days before computers. I know my way around a car, at least a little. The sump was down by 5 quarts of oil from full. No leaks at all. They said they put in 6.6 quarts of synthetic, which I think would have blown my seals.
    I suspect the engine survived because they did not change the oil filter? That would give it a little oil for the lifters.
    No oil light came on, and there was a little bit of oil pressure - just barely above the lowest line when driving. I drive like a little old lady. I thought maybe the 0-30 synthetic ran low?
    My question: to assess engine damage, Jiffy Lube wants to take the oil filter and send it to Honeywell. One Toyota service manager wants to stick a scope into the engine and see if the bearing are blue and scored, the other wants to tear down the engine and check all the bearings and cylinders.
    Thoughts?
    Rusty

I'm freaking out about this whole scenario.

1st: I'm LMFAO at the "service manager" who wants to check the bearings with a scope on an assembled motor......does that scope somehow remove a main bearing or rod cap while it's down there???

2nd: I'm making no accusations one way or the other, but I'm thinking an empty sump would have made noise long before 200 miles. 100% hindsight but I would have not added any oil to the motor after hearing the carnage start.

3rd: Good luck, when you brought the vehicle back in with oil and them claiming they filled it (overfilled??) I think you have a fight on your hands.
    '07 Tundra Cmax, '95 T-100POS, '08 RidgeRunner, '08 KTM 300 XCW, (2) Sea Doos, Kubota FEL, '70 Mustang (in pieces)

Liked
    188 times

Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post
    When I was in college in Richmond, Jiffy Lube left the radiator cap off my vehicle which caused the engine to overheat. I noticed it in time to stop and take care of it, but their attitude was so dismissive that I stopped by an engine shop and had them switch the heat tab to a melted one.

Their choice was either to buy me a new engine or give me a lifetime warranty on the motor. They went with the latter.

What's a "heat tab"???
    '07 Tundra Cmax, '95 T-100POS, '08 RidgeRunner, '08 KTM 300 XCW, (2) Sea Doos, Kubota FEL, '70 Mustang (in pieces)

Liked
    177 times
    Images

A co worker buddy of mine bought a new chevy silverado and did his 1st oil change at walmart. Yep, they never added the oil, course he never got out of the parking lot, because when he heard the motor knocking(a motor with no oil's gona knock like he!!) he stoped and pulled the dip stick to see no oil. The way it worked was they didn't warranty the motor in exchange, they droped all assult charges on my buddy Larry.

Liked
    188 times

Quote Originally Posted by waiting tundra View Post
    A co worker buddy of mine bought a new chevy silverado and did his 1st oil change at walmart. Yep, they never added the oil, course he never got out of the parking lot, because when he heard the motor knocking(a motor with no oil's gona knock like he!!) he stoped and pulled the dip stick to see no oil. The way it worked was they didn't warranty the motor in exchange, they droped all assult charges on my buddy Larry.

That's kinda where I'm leaning.......it would have made noise a lot sooner than 200 miles.

Depending on Larry's past criminal history, I may have taken the anger management and a few hours community service and kept my rights to a new motor...

Liked
    177 times
    Images

Yea larry's had a few problems in the past, it probably worked out for the best, it happened year's ago and he has over 150k on the chevy now, so he must have shut it down before the engine was hurt. Now lives in Colarado cause he forgot to study for his drug test(KILLER HERB got a few).
    Last edited by waiting tundra; 09-26-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

This is why I try to do it myself. Anytime I take a vehicle somewhere I stay with it and watch them do the work, making sure they change the filter and add oil and check it, then double check it before you leave.
    '07 DC 4x4 SR5 - mods to come.

Liked
    188 times

if you know engines, you know that no oil in the pan and a full filter still means no oil pressure. 0

Liked
    177 times
    Images

Toyota makes a he!! of a engine, but you can't drive 200 miles with no oil without noticing somethan. They didn't tighten somethan up or a old ring was or gasket wasn't sealed or you blew a seal or sending unit. Kinda hard to tell, but that's why I do all my own maintance,ALL. I don't even trust dealers, some have vary arogant mechanics that don't know sh!t. Always go over there work if possible(easy way to pick up a new wrench, they seem to alway's leave somethan.

Liked
    0 times

My BIL manages a Firestone store and he has had to buy 5 new engines over 9 years because his shop morons have either not tightened the plug or completely neglected to refill the oil. I bet Juffy Lube buys a couple hundred engines a year.You need to get in now and file a claim.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

they forgot the oil in my Dad's Bronco in the 80's. Drove about 3 miles, engine seized, about 30k on it and they put in a brand new one. They forgot to tighten a nut? Put oil in it to begin with? Under filled?

They owe you at LEAST an extended engine warranty if not a new one. Get it in writing and get it right away. Every inch you drive it supports your case that there is nothing wrong!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    6 times

FYI..when I do my own oil changes it takes 8 qts...so even if they put 6.5 in it would still be low.
    2012 Sequoia 5.7/Limited 4x4/Airaid CAI, Corsa 14573 cat back/Bilstein'd

2013 Mustang GT
    Comp 6265 twin turbo'd

2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by KP Texan View Post
    All I can saw is WOW. This is a testament to Toyota engine strength but also a great reminder of why I do my own oil changes (or let the dealer do it if it's free). If the sump was bone dry then I'm sure there is probably some damage to your bearings. As mendonsy said, I'd be all over Jiffy Lube about that!

-Wes
    Exactly! I would never let them do an oil change. In fact I don't even trust the dealership techs. The only reason they do work on my truck is because the vehicle is under warranty. My opinion is the knowledge and quality of workmanship in the auto repair and maintenance industry has drastically fallen.

It's sad when I trust myself over so called "experts". The difference is, I care about my vehicle, they don't.

Not saying they all suck but I'd rather not take a chance.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I don't think you are going to get much out of this fro jiffy lube.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast