Do we really need skid plates?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we really need skid plates?

Liked
    1 times

Default Do we really need skid plates?

I'm ticked again .....

I'm getting sick and tired of shops continually cross threading bolts in my skid plate. Last time was the worst. I generally loose two bolts, this time I was missing one screw upfront and only had two bolts installed and one of those was cross threaded. I'll give them credit though, that cross threaded bolt was installed with a high torque air gun. I never thought I would get so much use out of an 18 inch breaker bar on such small bolts holding flimsy sheet metal.

I'm considering just throwing the skid plate away because I'm tired of replacing the bolts at ~$2 a pop and rethreading the holes. Heck, at this rate it won't be long before I will have to start rethreading with a larger tap.

If we really need the skid plates for some reason, what options exist for dealing with this type of abuse when we go in for routine maintenance?
    2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 with the 5.7L V-8, AFE CAI, Doug Thorley headers, Firestone airbags, and Rancho RS9000XL shocks on the rear

PIAA driving lights in the factory foglight position. N-FAB PreRunner bar with 3 Hella Rallye 4000 EuroBeams with position lights.

Need to add the RanchHand rear bumper and some F-FAB steps to help mom get in my pickup ...

"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Do we really need skid plates?

You could convert to Dzus fasteners. They are a 1/2 turn type quick disconnect. Or something similar.

They make a pop up fastener with butterfly type head on it, that would be hard to get an air gun on.

Or, you could pull the plate before service.

Are you using Jiffy Lube type shops or Toyota dealers?

I'm not sure what else can be done.
    2010 DC 4x4 5.7 Pyrite, Viper Remote Start, LT275/70R18E Big O AT tires.

Liked
    0 times
    2010 DC 4x4 5.7 Pyrite, Viper Remote Start, LT275/70R18E Big O AT tires.

Liked
    1 times

I have used a 4x4 shop mainly but, the stereo shop that did some wiring did the same thing. I generally change my own oil unless I'm on the road.
    2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 with the 5.7L V-8, AFE CAI, Doug Thorley headers, Firestone airbags, and Rancho RS9000XL shocks on the rear

PIAA driving lights in the factory foglight position. N-FAB PreRunner bar with 3 Hella Rallye 4000 EuroBeams with position lights.

Need to add the RanchHand rear bumper and some F-FAB steps to help mom get in my pickup ...

"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill?

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1525 times

When they get paid per job and the pay is poor, you can anticipate the result.

Ruining the skid plate screws is a result of two things.

1. Obviously, overtightening as stated.

2. Not reusing the originally cut threads each time the screw is removed / reinstalled.

The first time the screw is inserted into a "virgin" plastic nut, threads are cut. The key to thread longevity is to use these original cut threads for subsequent reinstallations instead of cutting new threads, as eventually the plastic nut gets chewed up from recutting over and over again.

When the screw is removed, reinstall it without cutting new threads by first gently placing the screw into the nut and turning it gently counter-clockwise (loosening direction). While doing this you will feel the screw drop into the original thread once per revolution. At the instant the screw drops, you have found the original thread. Then begin tightening (clockwise) until the screw if fully inserted. Tighten by hand with a nut driver only. This will drastically curtail the chances of overtorquing because you will feel it reach the bottom quite easily and it is far more difficult to overdrive it with no other mechanical advantage (wrench etc).
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Liked
    15 times
    Images

i think last time i was under mine, if we didnt have it, doesnt the plastic bumper portion just flop around? not like we can bolt it to anything unless we pull it back too far and distort things...

if its mainly for oil changes, do a search and see the guys who have built little trap doors into theirs...pretty slick.

personally i dont have too much issue with mine, although it does take a few tries to actually get it to line back up to reinstall but nothing to lose sleep over...or screw up a customers truck over.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

I took mine off 2years ago and no problems.
    Charlie & Linda

Liked
    177 times
    Images

Yep it's nuthen to lose sleep on or screw a customers truck up on unless your the lowest paid, most inexperienced kid in the shop and could care less. Why not design somethan simple and easy? KISS keep it simple stupid. In a perfect world you'd never expect someone that couldn't handle the skid plate to work on your 30,000$+ truck. Plus in a busy shop it's kinda hard to keep up with all those bolts. Remember the guy working on your truck probably gets 4 or 5 cell phone calls per job. Mom, wife, girlfriend, fishen partner, & boss damn were all these bolts go? Ram em up with the air gun. I hate letting anyone but me turn wrenches on my truck. It has a double locking design used in many commercial applications. An average dumbnuts ain't gona be able to deal with it.
    Last edited by waiting tundra; 11-08-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Liked
    114 times
    Images

Why is mine still on there? Hmmm.

"They Were Just Jealous That My Tundra Pulled More Kitties Than A Bowl Of Milk"

Liked
    15 times
    Images

speaking of, since this thing does bolt up and has those dam tabs that have to be slid over to lock...if the bolts are there it aint goin no where. im wanting to just cut those tabs/hooks off mine so it just bolts up and im done with it....no little pesky hooking tabs to get in the way...

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Sometimes skid plates are designed with air flow in mind. I don't know if the tundra is set up that way or not.
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7,2WD White Crewmax
    Toytec 3 Inch lift,18 Monster wheels
    Firestone airbags with compressor
    295/70/18 Tires,Step Rails,Dash Mat
    Bed Extender,Carbon Fiber Dash Kit
    Clazzio seat covers, TRD Sway Bar

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1525 times

Quote Originally Posted by 07DCwhiteSR5 View Post
    speaking of, since this thing does bolt up and has those dam tabs that have to be slid over to lock...if the bolts are there it aint goin no where. im wanting to just cut those tabs/hooks off mine so it just bolts up and im done with it....no little pesky hooking tabs to get in the way...
    I would say 75% of the struggle with handling the skid plate is related to those hooks. I think there is enough beef on the bolts alone to hold the skid plate, so I would also consider removing the hooks.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Now you have me wondering..... if I get the skid plate drop kit, if the stealership will lose the spacers when they change the oil.... Dooohh- just another thing to worry about.
    2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Limited Salsa Red CrewMax

Wheels and tires
    Engine
    Oil filter
    Windows
    Air filter
    Air conditioning
    Seats

Send POINTS, not thanks or compliments....

Lurking Member
    Liked
    7 times

The purpose of the skid plate is simple to me - I drive busy highways where construction vehicles tend to loose things sometimes - swerving is not always an option so the skid plate is the only thing between a bag of mulch and my engine as I go over it at 70mph...
    2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4. Silver Metallic with Red Rock interior.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2007 RCSB |5.7 | TRD SC | JBA Headers | Auburn LSD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast