Air Induction Pump - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 111 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Air Induction Pump

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Air Induction Pump

Truck had a very slow pick-up and no kick down.It was liking pulling off with a loaded semi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Toyota warranty on this part is 3 yrs or 36,000 miles.I emailed Toyota and aftyer no reply for five days,I have decided to call them.I mentioned a couple people on the forum with the same problem.Seemed like they never even heard me.$2,307 cost to replace part from dealer in Ocala.Fed Up.

OTR
    Liked
    20 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nealk View Post
    Toyota warranty on this part is 3 yrs or 36,000 miles.I emailed Toyota and aftyer no reply for five days,I have decided to call them.I mentioned a couple people on the forum with the same problem.Seemed like they never even heard me.$2,307 cost to replace part from dealer in Ocala.Fed Up.
    One would think that it would be covered under the emissions warranty? To my understanding you would not pass an emissions test with out this part working properly, correct.

Liked
    0 times

Well guys, I have to tell you. It's not looking good for us. I to have the same issue. I started the truck two days ago and the check engine light, 4LO, traction control and VSC were all illuminated. The truck had no power. I could not get above 45 mph. I took it to Auto Zone just to have them scan and they pulled DTC P2442, secondary air injection pump switch closed, bank 2. Did some reading on TS just to educate myself and based on what I saw, I took it to my closest dealer. They kept it for a day and a half to tell me that my truck fell under a TSB and that it would be $5000 dollars to repair my truck. All they did was scan with their Techstream. I paid them their diagnostic fee and took to the next closest dealer for a second opinion before I dropped that type of cash. My issue is that the air injection pumps have their own DTC's programmed into the ECM as well as the driver assembly. I'm not getting the codes for either of those components. If you look at the schematic for the air injection bypass/diverter switch, there is an electrical component/switch installed. Can't we just change that? Come on, the pumps list for $1112.00/ea and the valve set that goes along with them is $475.00. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be an easier solution to this problem. I to am over the 36,000 mile warranty. I'm at 45,000 miles. The latest dealer told me that he has had another truck come in before that had the same issue and they re-initialized the ECM and checked the harness for water/moisture intrusion and the truck has never been back for that issue. I'm hoping and praying that mine is the same thing. Anyone else have any additional info or similar conditions to this?
    2007 Tundra 5.7L Crewmax, Silver Sky Metallic, 20" Gear Injector Alloy Wheels, 35x12.50x20 Pro Comp Extreme A/T tires, 6" Pro Comp Stage I lift, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust (true), K&N, Airaid Throttle Body Spacer, Blue LED instrument cluster, Overhead 10.2" DVD, Alpine DVD head unit.

Liked
    177 times
    Images

Talking Re: Air Induction Pump

I bought a Actron 9180 scanner to solve a code problem w/my 03 frontier, it's funny, cause while I was searching around to figure the cheapest way to clear my codes, I more or less came across some info from Ford and there air injection pump is called a air pollution control pump & can be had for around 150 to 225$'s. All I can say is if these pumps are going for 1100$'s and in pairs, Toyota may wanta consider what the he!! there doing. Now if I maintained my vehicle and got backed into a corner were I'd have to pony up 5,000$'s over air injection pump's at say 50,000, 100,000, 150,000 or 225,000 miles that my friends would be the day me and Toyota made a clean and vary unfriendly break. This is a pickup truck and you have to make them so they are bullet proof & cheap to maintain. I may be a little enedumacated, but I got enough common sense not to put 2500$'s worth of air injection pumps on a damn pickup truck that's gona make a living running up & down dirt roads towing & hauling god knows what in all kinda weather. Maybe one of those edumacated toyota engineer's needs an unedumacated azz whumpin.
    Robnoxous likes this.

Liked
    0 times

I couldn't agree more! I guess they make these things out of gold or something. I checked online to see if I could get these pumps cheaper, I can. I found them for $832.00/ea. This is my second Toyota that I have ever owned. I mostly owned Chevrolet's all my life. I'll post the outcome once I hear back from the second dealership. Stay tuned!
    2007 Tundra 5.7L Crewmax, Silver Sky Metallic, 20" Gear Injector Alloy Wheels, 35x12.50x20 Pro Comp Extreme A/T tires, 6" Pro Comp Stage I lift, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust (true), K&N, Airaid Throttle Body Spacer, Blue LED instrument cluster, Overhead 10.2" DVD, Alpine DVD head unit.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

That price is amazing!! I just bought one for my 2000 GMC Jimmy for $102 and I thought that way too much as we put one in my cousins two years ago for $64. Here in Ny I believe the state mandates an 8 year 80,000 mile on most "smog parts".

Liked
    0 times

I received my truck back from the dealer today. The cause of my code, DTC P2442 was the valve set (emissions) that connect to the secondary air injection pumps. The dealer informed me that there was a previous TSB for these trucks that stated for them to check the wiring harness for moisture. This TSB is no longer valid. The latest and greatest TSB is T-SB-0329-08, Rev 1 dated October 28, 2008. This is for checking the actual pumps for moisture. The dealer checked mine and stated that they looked brand new. The dealer called Toyota Tech Support and they were directed to change the valve set. A little cheaper than $1112.00/ea for the pumps. The valve set lists for $475.00 but the dealer matched another dealerships price of $356.80 (25% off list). All in all, the total cost of running the scan on my truck, tracing out the wiring harness and troubleshooting my air injection pumps and installing new valve set, came in at $1001.66. I verified with my dealer to see if it was covered under the emissions warranty and it was not. I even asked for an out of warranty adjustment but there was not guarantee I would qualify or if the dealership would honor it. I'm going to save that request for the future just in case the pumps are an issue. Good luck to anyone else who has experienced this problem. It's a little hard to swallow that amount of money right after the holidays on an issue that Toyota knows about and it's not covered under any type of warranty once you go over 3/36.

Liked
    177 times
    Images

My work schedule get's real crazy, but wanted to check back on this post, as I see a glaring problem, though Toyota looked as though they met TARHEELTUNDRA half way. Now I will say I agree the Tundra to be one of the beat vehicles I've ever owned, but Toyota IMHO needs to be carefull. No doubt they have some great engineer's, but this may be a point where simplicity may have been the better option. Crazy complex components that may or may not be all that reliable are always a vary bad option. 1.000$+ to refurbish smog pumps, what the heck if they would have burnt up? Sometimes simplicity & reliability are the better option, here's a thought for TOYOTA.
    KISS
    KEEP
    IT
    SIMPLE
    STUPID

Liked
    1 times

I wonder if you can fool the engine control unit into thinking everything is A-OK with a tuner?

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Jeez!! Thats pretty pricy for the air induction pumps..
    2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited w/ TRD Off-Road Package..Desert Sand Mica Color...
    Mods:Viper 5500 Remote Start, HyperTech, URD MAF Calibrator , Custom Tuned Unichip w/ Roadspeed, Deleted Cats, Auburn LSD, Volant CAI, TRD Sway Bar, Corsa Sport Exhaust System, Long Tube Headers..

2009 HD V-rod NRS
    2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition-Current
    2003 CBR 954 RR - Track Bike

SERENITY- 4 Wheels Move The Body, 2 Wheels Move The Soul...
    Ooh-rah!!!!!

Liked
    177 times
    Images

Pricey indeed, then how hard are they to change. What would be the reason to put that expensive a pollution pump on a pickup truck? Just somethan to thank about as the full size truck market is vary competitive.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1525 times

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I wonder if you can fool the engine control unit into thinking everything is A-OK with a tuner?
    That is what I would be thinking too, if I was in his position.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Creosote View Post
    That is what I would be thinking too, if I was in his position.
    If it was possible I would just take the damn things off and leave them off.

Liked
    0 times

I got my 2007 Tundra Limited 5.7 4x4 when they first came out. Paid a small fortune for it and proceeded to customize the heck out of it over the past 2 years. It is not a show truck by any means and I am not into racing or competition but I get a lot of looks and questions. I was very happy with this truck and Toyota in general, and had always considered Toyota vehicles to be the absolute best. This Tundra is my third Toyota in the past few years, all new from the same dealer. My truck just hit 60,081 miles and has been meticulously maintained. It has had some factory quirks including a number of recalls and TSBs but they were always honored under warranty and nothing major so I didn't hold that against Toyota. My only gripe was the expensive service fee for a Techstream diagnostic which was required just to change certain convenience features such as remote programming and code resets. I drove the truck, loved it, and was very proud to own it until today.

I started up the truck, warmed it up for 2 minutes, and pulled out of the driveway as usual. Just a few minutes into the drive and all of a sudden there are numerous dash trouble lights going crazy: 4LO and VSC OFF were both blinking, Check Engine Light (CEL) and Slip Indicator were both on solid. The truck seemed to be driving OK but with this many lights on and 4LO blinking it makes you think that the transmission is falling out or an explosion is imminent. I tried resetting the VSC, manual shifting, and switching from 2W to 4HI several times but nothing worked. I immediately pulled over, turned off the truck, and called my usual service dealer. He said the problem was NOT common and he had no idea what might cause it and he could not advise if it was safe to drive or not. I was 30 miles from him and he is the nearest factory dealer so this was not encouraging news. To make matters worse I was on my way to the doctor with a bad illness. I said the heck with it and drove to the doctor which was only a few miles from home anyway, got the bad news on my health along with lots of medicine, and then tried the same tricks on the way home but nothing would reset the lights.

I got home tonight and hooked up my code scanner. Sure enough I got P2442 which indicates a stuck valve on the injection pumps. No other codes and only one entry for this code. From everything that I have read so far, it seems that these are emission parts which are not related to the transmission, 4x4, VSC, or anything else which would effect the major functions of the truck. So why on God's green earth would Toyota program the ECU to literally go wild with dashboard fireworks as if the world was coming to an end? Freakin' cow man! It should just display a simple CEL or would it be too much to ask for something a bit more intuitive such as a Check Emissions indicator? I am convinced that they do this to make you panic so that you will rush right down to the dealer and take out a second mortgage to fix it based on the impression that your vehicle will otherwise explode.

And now I read that there were several TSBs on this, which to me indicates that it is a known problem a.k.a. "defect". And to me that means that the dealer should repair it free of charge along with an apology for the inconvenience. But from the posts on this thread it seems that they do not want to pay for it, and that it is very expensive as well. What the heck?!!!!???!!!!?

So being the electronic wizard that I am, and somewhat handy with tools, and not afraid to poke around on my vehicle, and already successful with hacking several other ECU sensors, I am planning to either clean and repair these valves / pumps myself or if that cannot be done cheaply then I will look for a way to bypass the sensors and tell the ECU that everything is just lovely. The questions I have now are as follows:

- Does anyone have copies of the TSBs or service manual pages which cover the inspection, repair, or replacement procedures for this DTC code? I don't mind paying the $10 for a 24-hour subscription to TIS and downloading the info myself but I need to know what pages / sections / documents to look for.

- Has anyone done this cleaning or repair themselves? How did it turn out?

- What is the worst that can happen if I do not fix the valves or pumps? Will this significantly lower my gas mileage or cause other serious problems or is it just a negligible increase in unfriendly emmisions?

- If replacement parts are necessary, wouldn't a scrap yard be the best source? I am not spending $1,000-$2,000 in parts for something that was poorly designed and that might break again soon, especially if it is optional.

So I am signing off for now to rant and rave about this crappy situation. What bothers me most is that Toyota won't cover it as a known defect. This just might be the turning point where I abandon Toyota and go back to other brands again. The MAIN reason I purchased Toyotas and paid more for them in the first place is because they did not have major service problems or require expensive repairs until at least 100K miles and often much later than that. But if they are going to require major repair expenses at 60K miles or less then I might as well save the money and buy the cheaper American junk or other import brands. The stupid floor mat and gas pedal recalls did not worry me but this problem is significant, uncalled for, and not something that should ever occur to a 3-year-old-Toyota that has been pampered for every mile.
    Last edited by wileetundra; 03-01-2010 at 07:53 PM.
    WileETundra

view all of my 2007 Tundra mod reports and photos

Note: I receive many messages about the NAV Speed Pulse Generator so I continue to build them for people on request. If you want one then just PM me via this forum and include your email address.

Page 2 of 111 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-13-2014, 01:46 PM
  2. 03-24-2014, 08:59 PM
  3. 11-12-2013, 01:54 AM
  4. 09-03-2013, 11:32 PM
  5. 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM
  6. 04-05-2013, 04:50 AM
  7. 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
  8. 12-24-2012, 01:33 PM
  9. 11-09-2012, 06:50 AM
  10. 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM